Trans-go shift kit

Lifted95X

The Xplorer U Luv to H8
Reaction score
City, State
EASTPOINTE, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.6 Mounty
I'm currently having my PITA transmission rebuilt for the second time in 20,000 miles....and the tranny shop recommends putting a trans-go shift kit in to prolong tranny life. Has anyone had expierience with these?? Is the shifting going to be so hard that it will be uncomfotable to drive??? Please fill me in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont see how a shift kit will prolong the life of a tranny. If you want to prolong it I would have him use strong parts and or modifications.

trans-go performance shift kits will prolong tranny life.to a point.. they allow a firmer more precise shift and cuase less stress under load. remember these were designed for racing where high stress is common..they may also cause a harsher ride....

beauty [or feel] is in the eye [or rump] of the beholder... it is all an opinoin thing

The transgo kit can be installed a couple of ways to vary the shift firmness. If your worried about it then have them do the firmer shift mods and not the hard shifting mods as per the kit installation instructions. The trans guy should have pointed it out to you- he/she may have their own preference. Having it shift a little faster/firmer should cut down on heat generation, and the A4LD needs all the help it can get in that area. I would tell you how it works but I dont have mine back from the shop yet.
My advice get it installed with the firm shifts and not the hard (its easier to go back and drill the holes larger than it is to reduce them after they are drilled)

Good luck.

He said these tranny's are like bic lighters....throwaways. He said my tranny is a (I don't remember exactly so bare with me) 4R55E or something lke that. He also said that these tranny's were first designed for the Pinto without the OD. They only started putting the OD on once they put them in the Aerostars. What a POS. Oh well....should get it back soon...he said that even with the shift kit, he will probably see me back in around another 50,000 to 60,000 miles. Really looking forward to it!

JOEC5...I did ask if they could use stronger aftermarket parts, and he said Ford's parts are strong, they tranny was just designed poorly, and also...he was not aware of any aftermarket parts that he could have used on this tranny.

Beware the world of tranny rebuilders...

Off all the work you may ever have to do on your Explorer, you'll spend more and usually get less on a tranny rebuild. I'm not saying go out and buy a new replacement from Ford. Just be sure to shop around and get a written copy of the warranty before having anything done. From my experience, tranny guys let the BS flow during their sales pitch. Telling you what a P.O.S. your model tranny is may just be setting up blame when THEIR crappy rebuild fails. Has anyone ever gone to a tranny shop and been told what a great tranny they have???
Notice all the spare tranny parts stacked all over the place at most shops? Whaddya think they do with them? I'm thinkin' they use them in rebuilds and you can bet they'll be charged on your bill as "new". When I had my tranny done, I got several quotes and not one shop referenced possible cost savings by installing some used parts. Chances are, some of my "bad" parts, that I paid to have replaced, will be used to rebuild some other sucker's tranny.
In my case, the work was quoted by the shop owner. I asked him directly, on the phone and again face-to-face, about the warranty for the rebuild on a 1991 4WD Explorer (see 4WD, four wheel drive, clearly stated, twice). He told me both times,"12 months, 12,000 miles".
Four months later, my tranny is nearly pegging the temp gauge climbing hills on the highway and just running around town. This excessive heat is a solid indicator of internal tranny problems. I pull out my invoice to make a call to get this checked out and in the written warranty section (which I only received when the work was done and paid for) in super small, light grey print, it noted the exclusion,"Four-wheel drives - 90 days".
So now I have a tranny that gets me down the road but I fully expect it to fail at any time.

The thing is, you will NEVER REALLY KNOW what you're getting for your money.

I agree with you totally...but the fact of the matter is..unless you can do it yourself...you are at their mercy. You can't really do squat about it. I had one replaced 20,000 mile ago..BY FORD...and it crapped on me already..and yes..I did see the parts. So really...there isn't much I can do.

i'm confused

i spoke with a guy at the transmission exchange today about the transgo kit for the A4LD trans and i'm alittle confused, he said thats there's only one kit available and it's not a performance kit, it's a improver kit, and that there are not shift firmness choices? what he claims it's supposed to help with sound good and for the price i don't think it could hurt? can people please post updates on thier experiences with this shift kit.

Transgo has choices

Todd,
I know for sure that the Transgo kit has firmness choices. It IS listed as a shift im[prover kit and not classified as a performance kit, so if hes never cracked one open he may not know the details of the kit. The kit comes with drilling instructions for two levels of shift firmness, and a couple of different spring applications depending on the level chosen. I didnt get the instructions back from my trans guy when he installed it, so I dont have any more details.

FWIW I had mine set up with the lower shift feel, like I recommended above...and for me it is too soft. Firmer than what I remember my stock trans(with 160k!!) was but not what I would call hard. Ill probably go back and drill the larger holes and step it up if I can get the parts after I swap my new gears in.

I totally disagree with most of you. As a Ford and Gm technician. (At the present I am the latter) I have always driven Ford vehicles. In my opinion the A4LD is a very good unit. Starting with model year 1989 the A4LD was beefed up a bit from it's prior state. I currently own two vehicles with A4LD trannies in them and both have given no problems in many miles of abuse. The first is in a 1990 Aerostar with 183,000 miles on the clock at this time and my Explorer with 131,000 miles on the clock. Both units still shift as new. I beleive in service. If you will service this unit every 15,000 miles you will have trouble free service. No, the unit is not designed to be snatched on as in pulling stumps out of the front yard of your home. Any unit will fail under this kind of abuse. So please, don't blame craftsmanship on the A4LD........ it's the operator.

These four and five-speed transmissions are used in four cylinder and V-6 applications (primarily the Ranger and Explorer) and have evolved as outlined in the "Alphabet Soup" chapter. The A4LD was derived from the C-3 three-speed automatic transmission by placing a two-speed overdrive unit in front of the original three-speed workings. As the names imply, the "E" transmissions are electronically controlled (similar to the AOD-E/4R70W transmissions), while the 5R55E is a five speed version currently used only with the SOHC 4.0L engine. The 4R44E is a light duty version of the electronic unit, similar to the old non-4.0L A4LD transmission.
Baumann Engineering can recalibrate valve bodies for 2.3L, 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.0L and 4.0L applications on an exchange basis. This service will address clutch and band durability issues, as well as shift quality and shift points. For serious performance use, though, we recommend that you upgrade your vehicle to the heavy-duty 4.0L Ranger/Explorer version of these transmissions if it is not already equipped

Just something to talk about

The new 2002 Explorer does not have a dip stick for its Trany:eek:

Re: i'm confused

Originally posted by TSTONE
i spoke with a guy at the transmission exchange today about the transgo kit for the A4LD trans and i'm alittle confused, he said thats there's only one kit available and it's not a performance kit, it's a improver kit, and that there are not shift firmness choices? what he claims it's supposed to help with sound good and for the price i don't think it could hurt? can people please post updates on thier experiences with this shift kit.

TSTONE: There are different levels of firmness that can be installed with the Trans-go shift kit. I'm not quite sure of what was installed on mine, but I can tell you there is a noticable difference in the way it grabs. I would definately recommend.

I have a TransGo A4LD shift kit for sale...

The TransGo shift kit for the A4LD is a package of color coded replacement springs, check balls, and instructions for installation in the transmission valve body.
This is a new kit that I bought from a person on the message board. I have decided not to use it because I'm not up to doing the installation.
I will sell it for $20, shipping included.
I would suggest this kit be installed by someone familiar with the valve body assembly or by a mechanic.
Let me know if you're interested...

TransGo

Still have the kit wabbit? I'm interested if you do.
Thanks
John

Airpwr73, Yes, Do we have a deal?

If so, email me and let's arrange payment and I can get your "ship to" address. We can do PayPal or Money Order.

wbacus@msn.com

Warren

The kit is sold.

The kit is sold.

Question ?????
Has anyone here actually installed one of these lits themselves - personally? i just got my kit (brand new sealed box) and man do these directions suck a$$, does anyone know of a installation FAQ anywhere i can download, i was kinda hoping to turn the wrenches myself - but these directions are very thin.

The instructions have lots of info, but no step-by-step...

When I first got the kit, I read through all the instructions and soon determined it was more than I cared to delve into. It is not a step-by-step "how to". It is a collection of notes, specs, options, diagrams, and guidelines.
All the info is there, and I'm sure it makes perfect sense to a mechanic with experience in tranny guts.
That is why I recommended tranny know-how or professional installation when I posted the kit for sale.

Here's hoping someone posts additional info to make this, the only shift mod kit I know of for A4LD, more user friendly for shadetree mechanics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back