Who is disappointed with their EX? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is disappointed with their EX?

my '94 xlt has been on the road 19 years an 187,00 miles. and still runs strong. maintenance is everything on a vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thepotroast I don't know where you got that she isn't the original owner. She still has the original invoice from Gator Ford in 2003.
Since I moved in with my grandparents about 2 and a half years ago to go to college, I have tried to help her and my grandfather on vehicle maintenance since I am rather proficient on cars. The local Ford mechanic she was taking it to, died about 2 years ago from a heart attack, so she hasn't been able to find a honest reliable guy like she had before. So yes, since day one, it was meticulously maintained up till about 58k miles when I moved in and took over basic oil changes and so on. And I was not comfortable at the end of the day replacing the intake gasket, so that has been left untreated because I'm still not sure that is the exact problem.

sfhess- excuse me for being a college student and working two jobs, don't necessarily have all the time in the world to browse the forums night and day.

To everyone else, I personally feel that this is a cheaply built truck and after reading for 2 or so years on the forum hear, and voicing my issues on a couple problems, I felt like seeing if others felt the same about the quality of truck this is. Yes many of these are COMMON problems, but damn, so many problems with low miles I guess just baffles me. We have a 1999 Lexus RX300 with 99k miles that has been trouble free, my step-mothers trailblazer (whether you believe it or not) went 100k miles with 0 problems, and you've probably read the rest. I do understand people come to forums to vent and find solutions to their problems, but just browsing the internet outside of the forum shows how many other people have issues too. When you have the local Ford service manager telling you that these trucks were poorly built, that should mean something. I still plan on being apart of this forum and hopefully providing insight on others problems, so don't shun me for voicing my opinion and seeing if others shared it. Thanks,
Jason

I've had my explorer for 2 years now.
I replaced the rear bearings. it was only like 200$ at the shop.
Everything creeks on it, but WD40 helps. lol
Im leaking oil out of my filter adapter. got the gasket. replacing tomorrow
Trans hesitates and bucks a little between 4-5k, holds the shift awhile too.
My vents are stuck on the windshield defroster.
drive door ajar sensor is bad (but it hit it with WD40 and it goes away)
I keep getting a gas cap code.
I dont even know if my 4hi is engaged. I hear 4low click but who knows.

If i could go back 2 years ago, i wouldnt have gotten it. I will get a different ford but not a 02-05 explorer for sure

Having the invoice means nothing about being the first owner. I believe the original purchaser for my car was Gregg...I know this because I have the invoice in my glove box...

Sorry your gma's has broken and you came here and saw that others have broken. The problem is you say that you have been reading this site for 2 years and only read bad review...I'm sorry that people ask questions when something is wrong and don't just come on to post "Hey, just wanted you guys to know, my X is perfect."

I've heard them called "Friday cars" before. Sometimes a crappy car makes it down the line and out the door. Maybe it was late in the shift on a Friday at the factory. Maybe it was just a whole bunch of parts on the low end of the quality spectrum coming together in one truck. Doesn't mean all Explorers or Fords are junk.

Super happy to hear about the Lexus filled with unicorn blood not having any issues. That must mean all Toyotas are magical and never have problems.

I hope you're going to college for something good and make a lot of money to rid your granny of this evil truck.

Don't forget Monday vehicles too. Half asleep and hungover trying to piece together a $25,000 piece of equipment.

Edited post: Deleted by OP. I will play nice

Don't forget Monday vehicles too. Half asleep and hungover trying to piece together a $25,000 piece of equipment.

This! I've always heard to never buy a car built on a Monday :thumbsup: Not to mention the 2013 Explorers are $35k-$50k depending on the model and options, making it even more of a loss

I still plan on being apart of this forum and hopefully providing insight on others problems, so don't shun me for voicing my opinion and seeing if others shared it. Thanks,
Jason

Completely true. While it is a privately owned forum, no reason that you can't post an opinion. At least you didn't resort to name calling in your replies like some other members have done in other threads. There are Friday trucks, Monday trucks, Christmas break trucks, Striking worker built by other plant employee trucks... Some just sucked. I think you got one...

There is a difference between a troll and someone voicing an opinion. This was an opinion. They're all nuts and bolts no matter the manufacturer, and s**t breaks.

The Lexus' are well known for using more oil than gas, O2's, knock sensors, heck- transmission problems abound.

Trailblazers? This isn't even from a Chevy forum, but a boating forum- so the sampling is even smaller. TRAILBLAZERS

Point being- everything breaks, as frustrating as it is.

Life sucks, we move on. :)

2013 is a fifth gen, and they come with super reliable duratecs. If you want a rust free first or second gen, we have a state devoted to the preservation of car bodies. It is called Arizona.

Where the rust free body comes at the price of faded paint and cooked plastics!

You can't have everything, where would you put it?

-Steven Wright

My '97 is rust free and is quite clean underneath.

Mind you, we don't salt the roads here but we do drive on the beach.

While it's still clean I'm going to give it a good coat of lanolin to stop it rusting.

My 03 Sport XLT, though purchased after 87k miles, I can proudly say I hit 100k (300 miles ago) and no major problems. The previous owner had the ford service repair book that was well documented with notes about every visit (I am talking every 2400 to at most was 3300 miles per the book). I can say, this one has been maintained very well. The biggest problem was the axle exploding where the c-clip goes on the rear right side.. Other than that, does not burn oil, has some squeaks, but it's 10 years old. Transmission does not show even the slightest bit of wear (thank goodness lol). Motor is in great condition, and no leaks whatsoever on the whole truck! Maybe I got the pick of the litter, but I can say there is no way have I been disappointed with my Ex..except gas mileage :) but I didn't purchase it for that reason, so I don't even consider that a problem.

Really sucks to hear about someone with an old lemon, especially an aged woman. Luckily you have been able to fix (from what it sounds like) most of the minor issues for her. I know you mentioned she cannot afford a new vehicle or a different one, but honestly if she/you sold this Explorer would you feel comfortable with what she would be able to purchase after selling the Ex? I know I would never allow such a thing, especially since knowing what work has been done or needs to be done rather than not knowing at all and finding out the hard way...again. At least at this point you know and have addressed most issues, and really for something to come unexpected is slim, though it can happen, I just do not see it as a safe/smart decision to get rid of the Explorer unless she goes to a vehicle under warranty. Also, explorers do not hold great re-sale value, so if using whatever funds you get from it only is what is going to the next vehicle, you are going to end up paying for something just as bad if not worse. Even if she/you are able to put more money down, you are still looking at a good chance of buying someone else’s piece of crap vehicle.

I understand you are frustrated, but all those used vehicles being sold, most owners were just as frustrated, hence why they are for sell.

With roughly 3,911,000 Explorers made/sold since '98 a few thousand with some issues is not bad at all. I'm no mathematician but I like my odds!!

my 05 explorer has 115,x..+ miles on it and the only thing I've replaced is my muffler and that was due to personal preference nothing wrong with stock.\

And if were talking about GF's then ya......Disappointed LOL

Ford explorers are like harbor frieght tools, they are inexpensive and sometimes it bites you in the ass. But for the most part are worth the money. I knew a guy who bought a 91 ford f150 302 auto 2wd brand new and it never got better than 6 mpg. It was completely stock. For reference he got 14mpg out of his v8 cj5 and he drove the cj way harder. Some cars just suck regardless of what they are. You have a boarder line lemon or are just a whiner. Sell it or keep it. my $.02

my '94 xlt has been on the road 19 years an 187,00 miles. and still runs strong. maintenance is everything on a vehicle.

My 93 has been pretty good too. The only complaint is I'm on transmission #3, then again, I have 230,000 miles on my Explorer... maybe consider getting a first gen?

Second owner for mine, as many have stated I've too had the same issues with this rig. Fortunately, all of mine have been issues I am mechanically capable of fixing (ctrl arms, bearings, brakes, ball joints, oil change) and just now hit 185k on it. As far as I can tell, it still has the original engine and tranny since I purchased it back in 07' with 75k. There are those cars that unfortunately get the bug and those that dont. I am thankful I got one (espicially the plagued 02' model built in 01') that is still running strong and is still showing many years of life on it. I will say though its frustrating with anything in general when you fix something feeling good about it and then moments later something else goes wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have missed the news story from a year ago or so, where a bunch of US autoworkers were caught on camera smoking dope and drinking beer out of 40 ounzer's hidden in paper bags while on their lunch breaks from the auto factory. I'd say they were stoned and hungover "everyday" of the week! We should call them "everyday" vehicles! I heard not long ago that many of those workers who were caught on camera doing this, just got their jobs back. So much for quality made automobiles in America!

Back