• Register Today It's free!

Introduction

wooldridj001

Reaction score
City, State
Kailua Kona, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Greetings from a new member! I have a '92 Ford Explorer XLT with 190,000 miles on it. I am able do almost eveything mechanical on it and I enjoy doing that too. I am always on the lookout for parts suppliers besides the two main web sites I use and trust now. However I came here to this site to pursue a few specific interests mechanicallly. I need many replacement interior panel pieces and do not want to use Ford dealer pieces when I can help it so I'm always interested in other web site suppliers that you've used and trust. My other two primary interests at this point aren't emergency based either but I want to resolve them. I have a tachometer that reads about 3100 when the engine is off but it does climb when I start the engine in relationship to the relative total engine rpm's. So, any ideas there? Can the tach only be replaced if that's what's needed or is it the whole cluster? My most serious problem is the braking here in hilly Kailua. Even after replacing the master cylinder, brake calipers and slave cylinders, and the front disks and bearings and rear drums, I still can smoke the front pads (best ceramic available from NAPA) coming down a long hill - both embarassing and a mechanical issue. It got way better after replacing the master cylinder but still exists. What's out there after market to upgrade the braking system? I am, by this time, assuming that the brake engineering is simply not adequate to my usage demands in daily driving. I am modulating brake application coming downhill of course to avoid heat build-up as much as possible. Jeff

Back