• Register Today It's free!

93 xlt axle code D1?

Critter92X

Reaction score
City, State
Lake of the Ozarks Mo.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt 4x4, 02' EB 4x4
I've searched and come up with nothing so far.Does anyone else have one with an axle code D1? I bought this truck for parts and the tag on the door says D1.It doesn't look like D4 with part of it scratched off.The sticker looks well preserved in good shape.I will be crawling under it later to look for a tag on the rearend, It was late when I got it in and I didn't crawl under it.I hauled it to my Dad's and left it so it will be a week or so till I get back down to it.I couldn't find that one listed under axle codes I know it should probably be a limited slip but I have no clue what ratio.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK after a yahoo search it seems it's a 3.73 I wonder what the difference between it and the D4 is?lighter duty maybe?I just hadn't seen it on an explorer before and it wasn't listed on the specs page on here.

Well after more searching on the web I'm more confused.About 10 different sites lists this as a 3.73 but the ranger station lists this one as a 3.27 L.S. This seems to make more sense, as the D rating seems to run from the highest gears to the lowest as you go up the numbers( D1, D2, D4 etc.) Maybe the D1 in the F Series is a 3.73 and in the Explorer a 3.27. I don't know just thinking outloud I guess. :)

has anyone come up with an answer for this D1 dilema?....i have the same code.

Axel Codes ...

41 - 3.27 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
45 - 3.55 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
46 - 3.73 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
42 - 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D1 - 3.27 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D4 - 3.73 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D2 - 4.10 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)

Axel Codes ...

My 01 explorer has the "46" axle code and im aware its a 3.73 conv axle. I removed the check/fill plug and the magnet on the plug had metal shavings and a lg chunk on it, could it be shot? If i end up replacing it, is it possible to swap it with a "D1" axle? Maybe it will get better fuel mileage and performance...? Ps, i rarely tow a trailer with it, its just a small 12' flatbed single axle trailer that only has about 500# max on it.

My 01 explorer has the "46" axle code and im aware its a 3.73 conv axle. I removed the check/fill plug and the magnet on the plug had metal shavings and a lg chunk on it, could it be shot? If i end up replacing it, is it possible to swap it with a "D1" axle? Maybe it will get better fuel mileage and performance...? Ps, i rarely tow a trailer with it, its just a small 12' flatbed single axle trailer that only has about 500# max on it.

I wouldn't go with a 3.27 from a 3.73.... performance will suffer greatly.

I have the 3.27 ratio behind my 5 speed, and I would love to have a 3.73 trac loc rear.... Mileage I don't think will change, the best I have ever gotten on my beast is 21.7 mpg @ 65 mph.

If you get 20 mpg or better be happy, that is the best that you can ever hope for on highway.

Axel Codes ...

43 - 3.08 non-limited slip

We use ours for light duty commuting and changing from a 3.73 to a 3.08 made little difference in off-line acceleration and hill climbing.
Most of the 91-94s I've seen in the junkyard (40+) have the D4 axle.
The rest have been 41 and 43.

explorer / mountaineer rear axle codes

I have read a lot of good info on this site about this but please always get under one and check the tag or count the ring and pinion do the math as people do change the rear ends but the tag still states the original unit.

Back