Removed broken fresh air door, question about air inlet | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removed broken fresh air door, question about air inlet

03AZExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
As the title says, i removed the broken door to get my air flow back. I've also read that covering the hole inside the outer dash will stop air from coming inside the vehicle. My question is, if i were to fill that void with something like spray insulation, does anybody see any problems arising from that? I live in Arizona, so putting tape over the hole would last about a month. Also, i only use my a/c on max, no reason otherwise out here in the desert.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My question is, if i were to fill that void with something like spray insulation, does anybody see any problems arising from that? >>>>> Also, i only use my a/c on max, no reason otherwise out here in the desert.

Yes a problem, the spray insulation will block the flow of outside air from coming into the vehicle and blending with the AC system , giving you the "max AC" cooling effect when set to Max AC. You need outside air to make the max ac work correctly and the AC air flow get colder.

I was thinking of doing that purely to keep hot or cold air from coming in through the glovebox. You're saying it won't be a good idea?

You're saying it won't be a good idea?

. I took my air recirculation door out as you did and never replaced it or ever plan to, nor did I seal up the hole in the outer dash where the outside air comes in thru and I do not notice any incoming, outside air via a draft. It's mid-winter here, upper teens to mid 20's most mornings and I'm not feeling any cold air coming into the vehicle thru that outer air vent port.

Not if you want the "Max" AC cooling effect. You can seal the opening up and still have AC, just not Max AC. It won't hurt anything other than block the outer air flow for max ac to take effect. You need the outside air flow for Max AC. I took my air recirculation door out as you did and never replaced it or ever plan to, nor did I seal up the hole in the outer dash where the outside air comes in thru and I do not notice any incoming, outside air via a draft. It's mid-winter here, upper teens to mid 20's most mornings and I'm not feeling any cold air coming into the vehicle thru that outer air vent port.

If that's the case, i guess i need to look and see why my glovebox area gets freezing cold while i'm driving right now during the winter. I was under the assumption that the Max AC setting closed the door to outside air, allowing the cabin to get warmer or colder faster since it was only using the conditioned interior air.

If that's the case, i guess i need to look and see why my glovebox area gets freezing cold while i'm driving right now during the winter. I was under the assumption that the Max AC setting closed the door to outside air, allowing the cabin to get warmer or colder faster since it was only using the conditioned interior air.

You are correct in feeling cold air thru the glove box area with the air recirc door removed, I've read other people state this, but it just hasn't happened to me. I don't feel any cold air coming in thru that area. Truck gets toasty warm inside even with the air recirc door completely removed from the vehicle.
You are right on your assumption and "I was wrong" with what I previously told you about the air recirc door and Max AC. I just did a web search on the subject of the air recirc door and this is what I found out. It is just a quote from another person on another site:

>>>>>>>>>>>Quote: Air Recirculation and/or the Max A/C button do the same thing. They close off the vents that let fresh air into the car from the base of the windshield.

Air Recirculation should be combined with A/C usage, which is why on some cars (older domestic US cars in particular) it's labled Max A/C. Air Recirc setting helps the air conditioner system by recirculating already cooler air through the system, rather then trying to take warmer outside air and cool it down. >>>>>>>>>>>>>

So according to this, when using the Max AC setting, you are closing off outside (closing the air recirc door), fresh air from coming into the vehicle and are just recycling already cool cabin air thru the AC system over and over. So, if you seal up the air vent below the windshield with foam sealant, you will lose the ability to run fresh outside air into the cabin thru the dash vents. You can always just open a window for outside fresh air in that case. Sorry about the mistake. :(

This is not correct. The Max A/C function only allows recirculated inside air. It does not blend outside air. You will be just fine if you seal the intake vent up.

This is not correct. The Max A/C function only allows recirculated inside air. It does not blend outside air. You will be just fine if you seal the intake vent up.

Look at the post above yours, it's been corrected. It helps when you use quotes to identify the exact post you are commenting on.

Look at the post above yours, it's been corrected. It helps when you use quotes to identify the exact post you are commenting on.

You may also want to edit your previous posts to remove the incorrect information.

As the title says, i removed the broken door to get my air flow back. I've also read that covering the hole inside the outer dash will stop air from coming inside the vehicle. My question is, if i were to fill that void with something like spray insulation, does anybody see any problems arising from that? I live in Arizona, so putting tape over the hole would last about a month. Also, i only use my a/c on max, no reason otherwise out here in the desert.

03AZExploder, I'm in the same exact situation. I live in AZ and at the end of last summer the A/C didn't seem to blow as well and this winter cold air started coming from the glove box. I just pulled the recirc door to fix the air flow problem. Now I'm trying to block the fresh air vent altogther.

Did you ever seal the hole inside the outer dash?
What product did you use?
Does it seem to be holding up well enough for summer?

Let me know. Thanks!

03AZExploder, I'm in the same exact situation. I live in AZ and at the end of last summer the A/C didn't seem to blow as well and this winter cold air started coming from the glove box. I just pulled the recirc door to fix the air flow problem. Now I'm trying to block the fresh air vent altogther.

Did you every seal the hole inside the outer dash?
What product did you use?
Does it seem to be holding up well enough for summer?

Let me know. Thanks!

I did in fact seal that hole with spray can foam insulation. I got the one named "Great Stuff" i believe it was called, got it at home depot. Was the medium thickness one, yellow cap. So far so good, car hasn't caught fire or anything, and on a trip to Flag last weekend, i didn't get any reports of cold legs on that passenger side, heat still works just fine. Only time will tell for the summer, so i'll probably give another update when that time comes. Hope that helps!

Awesome. Thanks. I was researching and found Great Stuff "Big Gap Filler." Is there any reason to use one type of Great Stuff versus the other in this application?

Awesome. Thanks. I was researching and found Great Stuff "Big Gap Filler." Is there any reason to use one type of Great Stuff versus the other in this application?

I only used the thicker stuff because i figured it would just take less to fill the hole. I probably used at least 3/4 of the can.

When I blocked off the air inlet at the firewall on my 2004 I did not have any problems in the summer months. However, in the winter months the condensation from breathing caused the windows to fog up on the inside.

when the temprature drops to a certian point ( I live in Ohio ) you need to mix in "fresh air" to keep the windows from fogging up. It is for this reason that the recurlation door only closes off the outside air when the controles are switched to "Max AC"

Okay, following in 03AZExploder's footsteps I documented how to deal with the air inlet. This is assuming you have already read the following thread:

Cold air in glove box -OR- No air flow from vents on Max AC - Here's a workaround

This is also assuming you no longer want to have any kind of "fresh air" option through the vents as it completely blocks the air inlet. Lastly, do your research on "Great Stuff." This is a one time use only product and from what I have read it can get very messy. I took extra procaution when using it and just threw it away when the job was done. That being said, I ended up going with the "Big Gap Filler" type of "Great Stuff" and it worked very well to expand quickly, fill the air inlet and leave no chemical odors.

Air Inlet
01-1_zps1eca93a3.jpg

Air Inlet Close Up
02-1_zps299b4813.jpg

Air Inlet - Inside Glove Box with orange cable in the way
03-1_zpsd483ccda.jpg

Air Inlet - Inside Glove Box
04-1_zps08f48df1.jpg

Air Inlet - Inside Glove Box Close Up
05-1_zpsd2c7e9d4.jpg

Prepping the Air Inlet
06-1_zps5632a879.jpg

Applying "Great Stuff - Big Gap Filler" from far right to left in the trough
07-1_zpsf28f44b0.jpg

Shine a light through from the Glove Box
08-1_zps9e625f9f.jpg

Fill Air Inlet trough until no light shines through
09-1_zps500915c8.jpg

Air Inlet with "Great Stuff" - Inside Glove Box
10-1_zps32592288.jpg

Air Inlet with "Great Stuff" - Inside Glove Box - Close Up
11_zps5b39daf3.jpg

Air Inlet with "Great Stuff" After 24hrs
12_zps501c6364.jpg

Air Inlet with "Great Stuff" - Inside Glove Box after 24hrs
13_zps3c5f8564.jpg

Air Inlet with "Great Stuff" - Inside Glove Box after 24hrs - Close Up
14_zpsee7ef289.jpg

Lastly, do your research on "Great Stuff." This is a one time use only product and from what I have read it can get very messy. I took extra procaution when using it and just threw it away when the job was done. That being said, I ended up going with the "Big Gap Filler" type of "Great Stuff" and it worked very well to expand quickly, fill the air inlet and leave no chemical odors.

G]

FYI, they do sell "Great Stuff" in smaller cans that would have contained enough material to fill that size hole. It doesn't take much material to fill a gap because it expands to a much larger size compared to how it goes in out of the can. You can also trim off the excess foam sealant with a utility knife once it hardens. You don't want to get any of that stuff on your hands either.

One word of caution, that foam stuff is super flammable.

Thanks for showing where the inlet is. I've been wanting to shoot some duct cleaner into the inlet to freshen up the HVAC but wasn't sure exactly where to shoot it.

Not sure about closing it off with Great Stuff.....Why not just put a solid plate (thin sheet metal) and affix it with duct tape over the opening? Or if ambient heat is a problem, maybe use a bead of silicone caulk around the sheet metal to seal it.

Thanks for showing where the inlet is. I've been wanting to shoot some duct cleaner into the inlet to freshen up the HVAC but wasn't sure exactly where to shoot it.

....Why not just put a solid plate (thin sheet metal) and affix it with duct tape over the opening? Or if ambient heat is a problem, maybe use a bead of silicone caulk around the sheet metal to seal it.

Strange thing is on my Explorer is that there is no passenger side, outside fresh air inlet opening under the windshield cowl as in the pics above. It's completely sealed up. Mine doesn't appear to have ever been punched out by the factory. This explains why I never felt that passenger side, cold air draft others have complained about in winter after they removed the recirculation door panel from their vehicles as I have. My Explorer must have been built on one of those "liquid lunch Fridays" :chug: at the factory.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Explorer must have been built on one of those "liquid lunch Fridays" :chug: at the factory.

LOL! I've heard about those but thought that only happened at the GM factories!

Back