911! Bad accident, need to figure out repairs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

911! Bad accident, need to figure out repairs

0398explorers

Reaction score
City, State
Edison, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer, 1998 Ex Sp
Hi! I had a minor but damaging hit with a (HUGE!) 8 point buck last weekend. The impact was worst to the right hand side, with a busted right fender, right headlight/housing is gone, and then wraps around to include the radiator area. Please help! We are on a severely limited budget, and we really just want to put the minimum amount of money into the car to get it driving again. I got a quote from a body shop in my area (located in Manville, NJ- Niro's). He gave me the following information:

2003 Silver Ford Explorer quote:

cash price: $2000 parts/labor
--All aftermarket parts--
NECCESSARY (ASAP) PARTS:
*new bumper cover- $340
*new upper grill - $91
*right headlamp - header panel- $76 headlamp $54
*repair rad support-$130, $175 w paint
*new fender right side -$124
*new radiator shroud $158
*hardware $20
(for this, he says $1750 incl parts and labor)

"Less" neccessary:
new ac condenser - $162
recharge AC - $63
lower grille license plate bracket - $34

Including everything, he quoted me $2000 for parts + labor (by my calculations, $750+ in labor!)

He told me that we "might" need a new radiator, in which case it would cost an extra $169.

He said the following parts might be found slightly cheaper used:
used header panel with headlamps is a possibility prob wouldnt be cheaper headlamp maybe 50
used ac condenser def a possibility
used fender might be cheaper 75-100
grill could be 75

So here is my dilemma. OBVIOUSLY going to fix the car, because it is my baby and I think I just couldn't go on without him. But $2000? You tell me!! I am a jeeper at heart, so repairs on this truck are slightly foreign to me, plus, I have no idea how to complete the labor myself!! I found several parts online by doing a rudimentary search, but I have no idea if Im seeing the correct parts, and I am scared to order them for fear of ordering the wrong part, half a part, paying too much, etc!! Please help!!! (ps, in these pics, you are seeing my aftermarket LED lights (for FD) hanging everywhere lol)

JGjWUyM.jpg

seXG3RU.jpg

8BtysUe.jpg

BLzcgLq.jpg

my trophy buck!! 350 lbs, 8 points

aVKl3pG.jpg

jpYsRvl.jpg

zhyeWAB.jpg

I6rUYZV.jpg

XE298Dx.jpg

WifJ2o6.jpg

I guess, my real question is, how can I get the cheapest way out of this situation? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cheapest way out would be having full coverage insurance. price seems reasonable with labor and parts for $2k.

i am parting out an 03, but someone is actually picking up the entire front end today.

Damn! Did you get right of the right front fender and AC condenser??

2k to fix it including parts and paint is a great price I had similar damage to my 02 (back in 02) and it was over 5k to fix it.

I would have done it myself it's not hard (except maybe the painting) it all bolts together but that is way I pay for insurance :)

I am sorry for the horrifyingly large photos....here are some better resolution (and smaller!) ones!! http://imgur.com/a/6XSsr#1

Can't help you with the price estimate and sorry for the accident. Be thankful you hit that Buck with the bumper instead of the windshield or you might not be here now. Did you at least get the mount from that Buck? It would make a nice, future conversation piece to go with those photo's of your Ex. I was surprised to see the antler's still on that buck. The Bucks in my area/yard lost theirs in early January. Good luck with the fix!

Do they allow you to claim on comprehensive in Jersey? On our insurance in MI, comprehensive coverage for deer hits is about a $50.00 deductible.

For now, I'd just go with the new radiator, new headlight, and new bumper cover. Everything else is either cosmetic or not immediately necessary.

Can't help you with the price estimate and sorry for the accident. Be thankful you hit that Buck with the bumper instead of the windshield or you might not be here now. Did you at least get the mount from that Buck? It would make a nice, future conversation piece to go with those photo's of your Ex. I was surprised to see the antler's still on that buck. The Bucks in my area/yard lost theirs in early January. Good luck with the fix!

I actually sheared one completely off! Then i broke the tips off the other one. Poor guy :( As soon as I caught sight of him on the right hand side (he made impact where the fender meets the door) all I could picture was my dog, Max (1/2 greyhound 1/2 lab) who has the same shaped face, so when the cop showed up and double tapped the deer i just lost it!! We both are first responders, so our attitude was, at least it was us, used to defensively driving and in a large car, and not an inexperienced driver who could have veered off the road or a parent in a small car with a child.

Thanks!

Do they allow you to claim on comprehensive in Jersey? On our insurance in MI, comprehensive coverage for deer hits is about a $50.00 deductible.

Actually NJ has really strict insurance laws, but comp and collision aren't required. We dropped it (IN DECEMBER :mad::mad::mad:) but I am not too upset-- after our deductible, etc, it wouldnt have been worth even paying for the insurance.

2 grand is a great quote

Back