• Register Today It's free!

6000k Kensun HID Kit installed

Matt228

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Green Gem Limited
I got the kit earlier this week but haven't had time to install them until tonight. I have HIDs in my Silverado (not Kensun) so I had some prior knowledge and experience installing a kit.

The quality seems pretty good and honestly, the metal brief case the kit comes in is pretty impressive! I know that doesn't mean anything really, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Overall, this was a very simple installation...plug and play at its finest. The only issues I had were finding a place to mount the ballasts and for some reason getting the drivers side bulb in and locked in the socket was a major pain. I ended up using Velcro on the ballasts and put them down in the engine bay...on the outside wall. Unless I'm missing something, the factory headlight wire was very short and made it hard to go too far from the bulb. Unfortunately there wasn't any holes to slide a zip-tie through so I'll be watching this closely as I'm not confident the Velcro will stay in place with the heat generated in there.

The bulb itself was frustrating but it finally turned and locked in there. Big hands, a weird angle and a tiny space didn't help...nothing product related.

I'll try to get some pics in the next few days, but I'm liking what I see so far. The light output isn't phenomenally better, but it's definitely better...especially the brights. The 6000k is the perfect blend of white and blue IMO, but everyone is different.

Now the question is what to do with the fogs: match them or yellow? I'll stick with halogen as I think HIDs down there will be a little obnoxious to other drivers and I just don't need that much light. I've used a brand called Hoen in the past and they offer 55w replacements in both colors, but will that be too hot for the fog light housings?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

got a pic?

Sorry, I meant to take one the past couple nights but forgot.

I do have one of the stock and now HID light pattern...they're damn near identical. I'll try to get those up tonight. (I'm at work)

I bought both the HID fogs/headlights in 6000K from DDM Tuning. I ordered the wrong bulbs for my headlight(stupid me) but installed the fogs when I got them. Holy hell what a difference. You can expect that from HID fogs but I absolutely love them. It looks weird that my fog output is so much brighter than my stock headlights at the moment, but I also thought about going yellow with the fogs. I decided against it because I have a friend that has 6000K HID headlights with 3000K yellow fogs and didn't really like it. To each his own I guess. There are a bunch of threads that have pics with yellow and HID fogs. DefinitveCars has the yellow fogs with HID headlights. May want to check out his Explorer Sport.

I'd like to see this as well. I'm confused as to why the loaded new Explorers don't come with HID's.

My HID headlights will be in next week. I will post a pic if he hasn't by then.

The '13 Sport does not come with HID's right and there is no option to get them? Lame.

I could have sworn I posted pics of the lights on my garage door....oh well, here it is again. It's brutally cold here in IL, but I'll try to get some more pics soon.

Stock on top, HID on the bottom
-E958-45D2-8C2A-4BF165FF9700-2721-0000016DEE940515.jpg

Here's some shots from a dark country road. My iPhone didn't pick up how awesome the brights are the way I hoped, but trust me, they are great!

My dad was with me in the Explorer earlier in the night and mentioned how bright the high beams were.
24804ccfe842ec40c05c3ced664c34eb_zpsc3351411.jpg

I just installed a set of DDM Tuning on my headlights and also my fogs. I have to say I like the look of the fogs though I have not checked it's pattern.

My first set of 4000 bulbs from DDM were ok, but I moved to 5000 and my PS bulb was totally trash. My left had a good pattern but the PS was just bad, like a pencil thin pattern.

Luckily I had purchased a backup set of bulbs and change it out, BUT, I like the look of the Kensun's above.

I'm wondering if I could simply buy their lights and plug them into the 35watt ballast from DDM? I cannot see a reason that would not work, can anyone else??

Yep, as far as I know, any bulb works with any ballast.

I too just "tried" to install my Kensun 6000K kit. I had the worst time "trying to get the bulbs installed. I am an average mechanic, but these were simply ridiculous. I ended up breaking two tabs on the driver side lamp. I could get two of the three tabs to seat, but never all three. Also, there is now more of a half moon an lows where the center and sides are higher than the middle of the beam.

Based on this experience and the fact I am infuriated, I would not recommend Kensun. I don't know if they have different 9005 bulbs, but if not, stay away...or someone tell me the trick.

First time poster...sorry about the rant.

To give the folks at Kensun some credit, they have already contacted me and are sending a replacement bulb out immediately. If anyone has a "trick" to getting the light to properly set, I would appreciate it. I just don't think it should take that much pressure.

To give the folks at Kensun some credit, they have already contacted me and are sending a replacement bulb out immediately. If anyone has a "trick" to getting the light to properly set, I would appreciate it. I just don't think it should take that much pressure.

My drivers side didn't seat correctly the first time and the beam was incorrect.

Had to go back the next day with some patience to get it seated and installed properly. The drivers side has less room for installation than the passenger.

Has anyone actually done a retro fit to HID? Only reason is the lens for non-hid don't offer the sharp cutoff that HID designed lens would.

Looks good though. Be interesting to see from another car's point of view.

^^ That's a good question and I'd like to know as well. Especially what it would take to do it right.

I struggled with my drivers side as well. I knew it would just be one of those things that would eventually just click in, and it did.

Occasionally, my passenger side doesn't turn on when the lights turn on automatically. All I have to do is switch it manually and then back to auto, and it comes on.

It's been pretty miserable in Illinois the past few weeks, but I'll eventually get some more pics.

I noticed my passenger side did the same thing this morning. Does anyone know if adding the relays would eliminate this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed my passenger side did the same thing this morning. Does anyone know if adding the relays would eliminate this issue?

I have the relays installed and mine didn't ignite once.

I actually couldn't get either bulb to fire without the relays. Not sure how yours are igniting w/o them?

Back