2013 Explorer Power Steering Light - A little ANGRY!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Power Steering Light - A little ANGRY!!!

Well we still haven't seen a rental because non may be available. And out dealer said until they know the problem we don't get a rental. Now they made an appointment for the 13 th. so I guess no rental til then. I dunno. We're stuck. Should have stuck with dodge I guess.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This morning my 2013 Ex Ltd's power steering failed at 1000 km. I've only had it for a month. Called my dealer and arranged roadside assistance for it to be towed 180km from my home. They are sending a loaner back with the tow company until Ex is repaired. I also had steering problems with my previous 2010 Flex also.

This morning my 2013 Ex Ltd's power steering failed at 1000 km. I've only had it for a month. Called my dealer and arranged roadside assistance for it to be towed 180km from my home. They are sending a loaner back with the tow company until Ex is repaired. I also had steering problems with my previous 2010 Flex also.

Hi wadge,

It sounds like you're in good hands with your dealership. Let us know when your Explorer comes home. If you need any assistance, you can reach out to my Ford Canada colleagues at 1-800-565-3673.

Crystal

I was also informed that ford does not pay for a loaner car while it is being fixed, which shouild be 3-6 days. This is my 7th new ford and I'm a little shocked to say the least. If this is how ford treats their loyal customers then they can find me shopping for my next vehicles somewhere else!!

The dealer is telling you B.S. I've been to the shop over 10 times now and for every issue I've had that they could not fix in a day, they've lent me a rental car. I'm not sure if it's the dealer that pays for it or Ford does but I'm sure Ford does so you should be getting a loaner.

Well talked to everyone at ford and beverage did get a rental or loaner vehivle while it was in the shop. What a joke!!!!! First ford and will be the last. They ended up changing out the rack in this vehicle at 863 Kms. I know I won't be buying a ford truck when getting a truck. I actually was thinking about it but this is the way they treat there customers I will stick with dodge. The dealer never have any paper work or anything or not even a follow up. We had to bug them. Customer service said they would keep us updated and I haven't heard back from them as well. Stick to the dodge I guess. Just wanted to help everyone out when they are looking for a new vehicle. Wish we would have looked into ford a little more before we purchased a vehicle.

Well talked to everyone at ford and beverage did get a rental or loaner vehivle while it was in the shop. What a joke!!!!! First ford and will be the last. They ended up changing out the rack in this vehicle at 863 Kms. I know I won't be buying a ford truck when getting a truck. I actually was thinking about it but this is the way they treat there customers I will stick with dodge. The dealer never have any paper work or anything or not even a follow up. We had to bug them. Customer service said they would keep us updated and I haven't heard back from them as well. Stick to the dodge I guess. Just wanted to help everyone out when they are looking for a new vehicle. Wish we would have looked into ford a little more before we purchased a vehicle.

Zipper84,

I share your frustration regarding having the steering rack changed on your new Ex. I live in Northern Ontario and my new LTD's power steering failed at 1000kms just before taking a short vacation. I had my vehicle towed to the dealer and they arranged for a rental explorer XLT with no questions asked. The reason I continue to purchase Ford products is because I like the product but more specifically I have found a dealer where customer service comes first. Before you give up on ford look around for a dealer that has that philosophy.

While I can sympathize with you, this seems to be more of a customer service issue than a vehicle issue. Problems with any vehicles, new or used, can be expected. This would hold true for Dodge trucks as well. I friend of mine has an older Ram diesel and is on his 3rd transmission and has had many other issues with it as well. There must be a reason that Ford F series trucks are still the best selling vehicles here in Canada and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
You are not alone in your feeling about Ford in general. There have been other owners here who were 'turned off' by their dealer experiences. I chose a dealer 20 miles away while there is another just 3 miles away. The reason was because of their service reputations.
I truly hope that you get the issues resolved to your satisfaction.

Peter

Well where I live the next closest ford dealer is 400 miles away and than other than that 800 miles so not many options. And no rental. That's crazy. The dodge dealer would have have me one off there lot before sending me away for days. This town sucks and that's that. They know they have u by the u know what so gotta do what u gotta do.

Help from Crystal

Crystal,

My 2012 is currently @ the local Ford dealership with this issue, I was informed today that they will need to replace the Steering Box/Column at a cost of $2100. The vehicle has 36811 miles on it, some 600 miles out of warranty. It appears that there are quite a few of these issues reported on this site and in other places on the Internet. Can you please contact me directly at dcaughey@nc.rr.com email and let me know the best way to contact you!

Thanks

David

Crystal,

My 2012 is currently @ the local Ford dealership with this issue, I was informed today that they will need to replace the Steering Box/Column at a cost of $2100. The vehicle has 36811 miles on it, some 600 miles out of warranty. It appears that there are quite a few of these issues reported on this site and in other places on the Internet. Can you please contact me directly at dcaughey@nc.rr.com email and let me know the best way to contact you!

Thanks

David
Go to any post by FordCustSrvc and click on that name in the left margin. You will see several options, choose Send a Private Message. Crystal will need your contact information (including VIN, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage).

BTW, welcome to the Forum DaveC_Raleigh. :wavey:

Peter

I was also informed that ford does not pay for a loaner car while it is being fixed, which shouild be 3-6 days. This is my 7th new ford and I'm a little shocked to say the least. If this is how ford treats their loyal customers then they can find me shopping for my next vehicles somewhere else!!

Ford pays for a loaner car, I've gotten a loaner 3 - 4 times over the course of my car problems. Ford takes care of their customers, sometimes the dealership is too cheap.
Crystal,

Thanks

David

Also wait a minute... Isn't the steering rack part of the drive train? The drive train is covered under 60,000/5 year warranty right?

Ford pays for a loaner car, I've gotten a loaner 3 - 4 times over the course of my car problems. Ford takes care of their customers, sometimes the dealership is too cheap.

Also wait a minute... Isn't the steering rack part of the drive train? The drive train is covered under 60,000/5 year warranty right?
I doubt it would be considered part of the drive train.
The fact that the 5th generation is a redesign was enough to get me to buy the Extended Warranty. You may never need it but if you do.......
That is why Ford offers it. The option is there to take it or not.

Peter

Great Question

Is the steering rack part of the drive train? How can I find this information? I'd bet with my luck or lack there of "NO"!

Is the steering rack part of the drive train? How can I find this information? I'd bet with my luck or lack there of "NO"!

Just a quick google search...

The drive train consists of the system in a vehicle that attaches the transmission to the vehicle's axles. Some people include the engine of the vehicle in the drive train or separate it to the power train.

I don't think the steering rack is part of that? But good luck, I hope you get it fixed soon and they don't take your wallet to the cleaners.

Just a quick google search...

The drive train consists of the system in a vehicle that attaches the transmission to the vehicle's axles. Some people include the engine of the vehicle in the drive train or separate it to the power train.

I don't think the steering rack is part of that? But good luck, I hope you get it fixed soon and they don't take your wallet to the cleaners.
That is pretty well what I found out as well. There is nothing that seems to tie the steering mechanism to the power or drive train.

Peter

Crystal,

Thanks

David

Hi David,

I see that my colleague, Cory, has reached out to you via private message. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!

Crystal

Hello everybody. Was hoping to make this a very happy and delightful introduction but...... I purchased a new 2013 Explorer limited 2 weeks ago and loved everything about it. I was drving cross country from Oregon to Toronto when the power steering warning light came on in Chicago. I had it towed to a dealer where they told me they just did a reset and it was fine. It came on again a few days later and now I'm told I need a whole new steering box. I was also informed that ford does not pay for a loaner car while it is being fixed, which shouild be 3-6 days. This is my 7th new ford and I'm a little shocked to say the least. If this is how ford treats their loyal customers then they can find me shopping for my next vehicles somewhere else!!
That's no surprise to me ...... I've had four Fords and have found that they just don't care! I will be shopping elsewhere now that I know their commitment to customers! :mad:

Back