How are we supposed to know? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How are we supposed to know?

rellyrooly

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ex Limited 4WD 302A
How are we supposed to know when MFT/Sync will need an upgrade? Is there a message that will show up on our screen or do we just need to constantly monitor our owner page on Ford.com?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How are we supposed to know when MFT/Sync will need an upgrade? Is there a message that will show up on our screen or do we just need to constantly monitor our owner page on Ford.com?

You got it! Either keep checking syncmyride.com or this forum.

Really? So that means there are many, many un tech savy people out there that have no idea that they're due for an upgrade. I am really surprised there isn't a better way of notifying people.

You got it! Either keep checking syncmyride.com or this forum.

I received a letter in the mail about two days ago with the instructions for the newest upgrade.

I have never received a notice informing me of an update being available. I have always found out via this forum. Often I know about an update being available before my dealership is even aware.

i have never received a notice informing me of an update being available. I have always found out via this forum. Often i know about an update being available before my dealership is even aware.

+1

I picked up my new Sport Saturday and it had 3.2.2 on it. I upgraded to 3.5.x and now it's all jacked up. Nav doesn't work because it needs a new SD card. Why would a dealer/Ford give me a brand new vehicle with outdated software and an outdated SD card? Now I have to wait a week for the new card to show up. :)

I found out by logging onto syncmyride to set it up and it said I needed an update.

Picked my sport up last Tuesday 31st , the build date was 12/03/2012 SYNC Version
Gen2 - V3.5.1 and the new Sd A4 card for the sat-nav were installed, but does anyone know if you can get a SD card for European driving, as we are taking ours over to Europe and I have heard that the usa/can card doesn’t work, also where is the engine/vin number located on the engine? “Yet another form to be filled in”

Your dealers should have checked the version and updated it. Don't blame Ford. It's the dealer.

Just got mine today and it's Gen2 - V3.5.1 with the A4 card. It's yet to be seen if I have any issues, but so far so good (knock on wood).

Do we need to order a new SD card before going in for the update, or will the dealer have them on hand?

Do we need to order a new SD card before going in for the update, or will the dealer have them on hand?
Dealers will generally have them. Just check with them before you leave your car with them.

I ordered the SD card and it only took 1 business day and the update from syncmyride.com was very easy. Just do it yourself IMO.

Hi, rellyrooly!

We generally announce updates on our Owner to Owner Forum, or it will be listed on your SYNC Account. If the update/upgrade has major changes, we will send a letter in the mail. Here's a link to the SYNC Announcements in our forum:

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/p...=6&listMode=13&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb

I have never received a notice informing me of an update being available. I have always found out via this forum. Often I know about an update being available before my dealership is even aware.

You two are too fast at performing the updates. LOL Usually, if we see you've already updated, we won't send a letter telling you about it. ;)

Picked my sport up last Tuesday 31st , the build date was 12/03/2012 SYNC Version
Gen2 - V3.5.1 and the new Sd A4 card for the sat-nav were installed, but does anyone know if you can get a SD card for European driving, as we are taking ours over to Europe and I have heard that the usa/can card doesn’t work, also where is the engine/vin number located on the engine? “Yet another form to be filled in”

Unfortunately, jones the car, a European SD card won't work on an exported vehicle since it has the US/Canada/Mexico programming on it. Hit up Crystal (FordCustSrvc) for your engine VIN question. She'll be able to help you. :)

You don't need to order a new card if you're having your dealer perform the update, Kfoss1, but make sure you tell them you have navigation so they can have one ready for you.

Rebecca

In addition to all mentioned by Rebecca, there is a section in your account information (syncmyride.com) where you check for email notifications: I’D LIKE TO RECEIVE EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS OF SYNC UPDATES AND DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLATION ALERTS AT: your.emailaddress@domanin.com.

Hope this helps,
Bobby

Honestly the Ex owners on this forum are the fastest method of determining there is a new update.

This forum is discussing it before most Dealer Service Advisers even know its out.

Last 3 updates I knew before my dealer, I had to show them this site and the attached Ford internal communications.

Really? So that means there are many, many un tech savy people out there that have no idea that they're due for an upgrade. I am really surprised there isn't a better way of notifying people.

Eventually, there will be. It'll be some sort of satellite or cellphone/over-the-wire kind of system. I believe Ford, BMW, G.M. and Toyota are but a few auto manufacturers that are developing a system like the one of which I speak. At this point, it about prepping the vehicles to be able to receive info and updates like this (cars talking to one another in gov't experiment, for example).

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_...y-pilot-program-kicks-off-in-ann-arbor-mich./

Kind of like a computer update via wireless internet -kinda like that. Still a few years away though. Maybe 2016, maybe 2020.

Yes, car companies and government are different entities, but you get my point.

Your dealers should have checked the version and updated it. Don't blame Ford. It's the dealer.
Very true.

Honestly the Ex owners on this forum are the fastest method of determining there is a new update.

This forum is discussing it before most Dealer Service Advisers even know its out.

Last 3 updates I knew before my dealer, I had to show them this site and the attached Ford internal communications.

LMAO! :D

So true Sgt..

I received a letter a week after performing the upgrade and reporting it to synchmyride. That seems like a disconnect, but I understand they must have a huge mailing list; no complaints.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back