2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

24 Pages is a lot to read through. Can someone that has been active in this thread summarize it for me? With 2 babies at home, I don't have a lot of time to read this forum .

Is there a recall in place?
Does it affect 2013 Ex models?
Have there been serious accidents?
Anything else?

I saw a class action lawsuit ad on Facebook for this issue, I posted it in a separate thread so it would be seen. Hopefully nobody has been injured due to these malfunctions.

No recall right now and it doesn't look like Ford is going to initiate anything on their own since they don't think it's a safety issue.

At least two people have reported their 2013s having the issue, but it definitely doesn't seem to be as widespread. It may just take more time for the issue to show up in the newer ones.

There has been at least one accident, tropicvi, who posted further down, although I don't believe anyone was seriously hurt. And even worse, he's stuck with the repair bill (I think, anyway...and it's $18K).

All I have to say is it's pretty sad Ford isn't taking the high road on this problem. Luckily for my mom, she got her's fixed in a few days and there haven't been any problems since. But it seems to be one of those problems that usually starts with some more time on the parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mike,

Have you done a vehicle health report before restarting when the issue occurs? That may document it for you.
Have you went to NHTSA website to report it to government? This is the only way you will see a recall.
Good luck!

24 Pages is a lot to read through. Can someone that has been active in this thread summarize it for me? With 2 babies at home, I don't have a lot of time to read this forum .

Is there a recall in place?
Does it affect 2013 Ex models?
Have there been serious accidents?
Anything else?

I saw a class action lawsuit ad on Facebook for this issue, I posted it in a separate thread so it would be seen. Hopefully nobody has been injured due to these malfunctions.

No recall right now and it doesn't look like Ford is going to initiate anything on their own since they don't think it's a safety issue.

At least two people have reported their 2013s having the issue, but it definitely doesn't seem to be as widespread. It may just take more time for the issue to show up in the newer ones.

There has been at least one accident, tropicvi, who posted further down, although I don't believe anyone was seriously hurt. And even worse, he's stuck with the repair bill (I think, anyway...and it's $18K).

All I have to say is it's pretty sad Ford isn't taking the high road on this problem. Luckily for my mom, she got her's fixed in a few days and there haven't been any problems since. But it seems to be one of those problems that usually starts with some more time on the parts.

Hey folks!

If you are currently experiencing this concern, I want to get you escalated to your regional customer service managers. To get started, I'll need a PM from you with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

Getting a Toyota

I am a sales rep who participates in a fleet program where we have several cars to choose from. When I first got my powersteering issue, I came to this site and received this reply when PM'ing Cory.

"Because this is a fleet vehicle, I recommend calling our Fleet department directly @ 1-800-343-5338. When calling, be sure to explain the concern so they can assist.

Cory"

After seeing all the promises of "elevating" peoples issues, I thought it kind of sucked that I get the shaft and have to do the work myself. So screw it, I didn't call. I've been waiting to hear from my dealer since September for a part and no call from them. Yes, I could have been a pain in the butt and hassled these people, but honestly as the customer, I just didn't really feel like it. I feel like I was getting the brush off because I was part of a fleet.

I had got a rental through the dealer for a week when I first had the problem. They jacked my company for a $500 weekly rate on my rental. I work for a privately held company that is employee owned. When you screw them, you screw me to some degree. After reading the forums more about the issue, I decided to take the Explorer back and only had the power steering go out one more time about 2 weeks after the initial time. Both times it happend at low speed (I think under 20mph). I have 66k miles on it now, and both instances of steering issue happened around the 50-55k mark

So today I ordered a Toyota Sienna AWD. I could choose from an Explorer, Taurus, Highlander, Sienna, GMC Terrain or an Edge.

I like the Explorer, but just didn't feel I was getting any customer service from Ford or the local dealer. I don't know any better way to express my dissatisfaction than to select another brand vehicle. As you can tell from my list of vehicles, the Explorer really was the only option for cargo space besides the minivan. I really wanted to like the Highlander or the Terrain, but they were just to small in the back.

May be back in a couple years....

.........So today I ordered a Toyota Sienna AWD. I could choose from an Explorer, Taurus, Highlander, Sienna, GMC Terrain or an Edge.

I like the Explorer, but just didn't feel I was getting any customer service from Ford or the local dealer. I don't know any better way to express my dissatisfaction than to select another brand vehicle. As you can tell from my list of vehicles, the Explorer really was the only option for cargo space besides the minivan. I really wanted to like the Highlander or the Terrain, but they were just to small in the back. May be back in a couple years....
If you are talking about total cargo volume then according to the figures I have here, the cargo capacity of the Highlander behind the front seats is 95.4 cu. ft and the Explorer is 80.7 cu. ft. Both are quite similar at 43.8 and 42.3 behind the 2nd row but the big difference is behind the 3rd row where the HL is only 10.3 and the Ex is 21.
NOTE: These figures are for the '09 HL and 2011 Ex. The only ones I have the brochures for.:)

Peter

Why would you cross shop a van, crossovers, and a sedan? Makes no sense. Well, whatever floats your boat. Good luck with the Sienna.

Why would you cross shop a van, crossovers, and a sedan? Makes no sense. Well, whatever floats your boat. Good luck with the Sienna.

Those are my company car choices, hence the cross shopping options.

And to the previous, the Highlander has way less room behind the second or third row seat. You can lay a set of golf clubs behind the second row in the Explorer (lay them the long way seat to back door), which is convenient. I really only measured back seat to the back lift, so total area may be similar. Even pushing up the back seat in the Highlander left me with less length.

Those are my company car choices, hence the cross shopping options.

And to the previous, the Highlander has way less room behind the second or third row seat. You can lay a set of golf clubs behind the second row in the Explorer (lay them the long way seat to back door), which is convenient. I really only measured back seat to the back lift, so total area may be similar. Even pushing up the back seat in the Highlander left me with less length.

That makes more sense. :D

Update..
I was suppose to get a call back from Ford rep on Jan.2 a week later finally got a call.
I missed call but message was pretty much same old same old.
I have decided not to waste time anymore with Ford reps and as soon as I can get rid of this truck I will..when Ford gets it's act together with these Explorers i'll think about buying another.

I guess Fords plan of doing nothing for this problem has worked out for them concerning me....I'm out of there hair.

Update..
I was suppose to get a call back from Ford rep on Jan.2 a week later finally got a call.
I missed call but message was pretty much same old same old.
I have decided not to waste time anymore with Ford reps and as soon as I can get rid of this truck I will..when Ford gets it's act together with these Explorers i'll think about buying another.

I guess Fords plan of doing nothing for this problem has worked out for them concerning me....I'm out of there hair.

Hi JunkExplorer,

I would hate to lose you as a member of the Ford Family. If you'd like me to arrange for a follow-up call from your regional CSM, send me a PM with your current mileage.

Crystal

No thank you,as per Ford there is nothing going to be fixed with this problem.

Hi JunkExplorer,

I would hate to lose you as a member of the Ford Family. If you'd like me to arrange for a follow-up call from your regional CSM, send me a PM with your current mileage.

Crystal

Ford has stated that it was a combination of three separate manufacturing defects that they have since addressed. Not sure what the NHTSA figured out (if anything).

Is there a location where I can obtain/see some documentation on what the three defects are?

This is my first post but I have followed this thread for the past 3-4 months. I first had the steering problem on my 2011 Explorer mid Aug 2012 with about 25K miles and 16 mo after purchase. Happend twice at low speed within a week. I parked it for a month then Ford gave me a loaner for another month+ while waiting for parts. No problems since but no confidence it is really fixed without knowing what the root cause(s) is.

Is there a location where I can obtain/see some documentation on what the three defects are?

This is my first post but I have followed this thread for the past 3-4 months. I first had the steering problem on my 2011 Explorer mid Aug 2012 with about 25K miles and 16 mo after purchase. Happend twice at low speed within a week. I parked it for a month then Ford gave me a loaner for another month+ while waiting for parts. No problems since but no confidence it is really fixed without knowing what the root cause(s) is.

Page 15 post 289 is a link to Ford's response which identifies various problems in manufacturing. Granted how much security you feel will depend on how much you still trust Ford.

Clearly Ford hasn't corrected this problem. I have a new month old 2013 LTD with just over 1000kms on it. The power steering failed the other day resulting in it having to be towed 180 kms to my dealer.

Clearly Ford hasn't corrected this problem. I have a new month old 2013 LTD with just over 1000kms on it. The power steering failed the other day resulting in it having to be towed 180 kms to my dealer.
It could be a different problem that you have but I guess you'll have to wait to see what the dealer finds.
It would be very helpful if you add your model and year to your vehicle specs in your profile so that it will show in the left hand margin. That would help members in anwering any future concern/questions you may have since some answers are model specific.
Good luck.

Peter

It would be very helpful if you add your model and year to your vehicle specs in your profile so that it will show in the left hand margin. That would help members in anwering any future concern/questions you may have since some answers are model specific.
Good luck.

Peter

Peter
My specs are there. Click on vehicle specs.....

Have you reported it to the NHTSA? If more 2013s report it the government may step in and force a recall

I'm in Canada so the reporting process might be different. I'll wait until I get the diagnosis on Monday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter
My specs are there. Click on vehicle specs.....
My apologies. I didn't look there because hardly anyone ever fills that info in. There must be another place to put that info to have it show automatically under your forum name.
It might be a good idea to have Vehicle Specs show up in a different colour or something to indicate the member has entered his/her info in that field. I guess that would require some additional programming.

Peter

Back