is it possible to drop a 5r55 transmission while lying on my back in the driveway? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is it possible to drop a 5r55 transmission while lying on my back in the driveway?

bcolins

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Park (Austin) Tejas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4.0 4x4
I'm wondering if it would be possible to drop the 5R55 Automatic out of my 2002 explorer 4.0 4X4 in my driveway.

I'll be lying on my back with the truck on jackstands or just sitting on its tires

Anyone tried this?

Brian in Austin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's heavy. You should really use a jack and a helper. At the very least, balance it on a floor jack to get it near the ground, then slide it off the jack. It is possible to do by hand if you are pretty strong, but... like I said, it is heavy, and you don't want to drop it on yourself. I can lift one pretty easy, and I sill use a tranny jack.

If your question is, can you drop it in a driveway without a lift, sure. not hard to do at all. Get a tranny cradle for your jack, lift it up on jack stands high enough to work comfortably. Jack one side up higher when you want to roll the tranny out.

i wouldn't do it without plenty of assistance. they are very heavy and awkward especially with the tc still attached. i have done two with help and let me tell you, it friggin sucks. smashed fingers and arms galore.

....and by tc, i mean both tc's: transfer case and torque converter.

I've done it...twice...by my self. front end needs to be pretty high. getting it back in is another story though.

The question is how much can you bench press?, but get some help or rig a floor jack.

The question is how much can you bench press?, but get some help or rig a floor jack.

You beat me to my answer! Anyway, I would say if a guy is pretty burly, and strong, and can bench press around 220lbs. about 10 reps, it could be done by hand, w/o the tc.

As a young man, I routinely lowered AND raised cast iron Cruise-O-Matics, FX, and FMX, by myself. Of course, the bell housing and converter remained with the engine. Still, those iron boxes were heavy! imp

Back