Ford Explorer Cross Bars / Roof Rack | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Cross Bars / Roof Rack

What would you pick?

• Oem crossbars + No-name Box

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Aftermarket crossbars + No-name Box

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Aftermarket crossbars + Thule Box

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Aftermarket crossbars + Yakima Box

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
Petey, did you get the cross rails installed? I too had a problem with mine. I thought the whole bracket would slide into the roof rail but it is only the "round tabs" that slide into the roof rails. The remainder on the brackets sit beside the roof rails. I am not too impressed with the Ford cross rails. I heard the Thule are noisy but they are a lot stronger. I have mine and my wife's mountain bikes along with my eight year olds on the roof using Swagman bike mounts. They scare the hell of me as they bounce and flex going down the highway. As well with a good side wind they can really push over. Plus because they are curved the two bikes on the outside bow out slightly. Might have to look at reinforcing them with an aluminum bar or something. Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Installing Roof Cross Bars

Has anyone installed the crossbars on the roof? My dealer threw the bars in for me, but I told them i'll eventually put them on myself. I was looking at it and it appears to be pretty easy, except for the first step of removing the plastic caps in the back that allow access to the rail system.

It looks like a small screwdriver will pop them off, but I am afraid of snapping something. Has anyone done this yet?

Thanks!

No tool needed. Just grip them firmly and pull up at the rear then back.

Dr Plastic is correct, no tools needed!

Real easy to do. I just took mine off for the winter.

I'd leave them off unless really needed. Cross bars on the roof will cut down on your gas mileage........best regards Plum

Hey, what Explorers have the cross bars anyway? I've seen limiteds with and without them, so I am confused as to when they are provided and when not.

They are an option on all models and can be purchased after the sale. I got mine off eBay for $80 shipped so there are cheaper ways to get a set! They are easily installed and removed by the owner when needed. They do impart a bit of drag when installed so I leave them off until I need them.

Roof cargo racks

Im strongly considering a cargo rack. I have factory croosbars and would like to add a yakima loadwarrior or megawarrior. Im having trouble deciding which one. Does anybody havea photo handy with either of these intsalled?

Thanks a ton.

I have the Thule Moab on my sport trac and I love it. jmo, but of all the roof baskets on the market I think it would also be the best looking on the new explorers. Just be ready to spend some dough!

I just installed the Yakima Skybox 16 sitting on the factory crossbars. Fit's perfect and looks great. Drove 600 miles with out a rattle. Very solid. I don't have a picture but you can see the box at yakima.com. I picked mine up at REI.

cargo crossbars

hi anyone know how much weight can a crossbars can hold? ill be moving from another state and will be driving for about 1500+ miles, i have a 2013 ford explorer xlt and i recently bought a crossbars and a extra long roof racks which weight atleast 14 lbs. i just wanna know the capacity of the crossbars i bought to make sure of my safety on the road.

pretty much all im putting on top of the roof is just clothes but i got a lot!!! and im travelling with my wife and two cats and atleast 45" tv.

I moved your thread into our Stock 2011+ Explorer forum.

From the Owners Manual

Note: The maximum recommended load is 100 pounds (45 kilograms),
evenly distributed on the crossbars.

Note: Loads should never be placed directly on the roof panel. The roof
panel is not designed to directly carry a load.

Load capacity increases to 150lbs with Thule or Yakima cross bars. I have Yakima round bars with 2100 cu in Thule box. Lose a couple of mpg with box on.

Hi,
New to the site, so forgive me if I should have created a new thread... I'm from the UK but now living and working in Canada. I bought a 2011 Explorer limited that includes the moonroof and would like to purchase the ford OEM crossbars for travelling into the states. However, I'm finding it difficult to purchase ford products online from within Canada and then US products limit their shipments just to the states. Would anyone know of a decent repitable online company that would sell genuine ford products to or within Canada?

Cheers.

Need roof rack cross bar help

I recently got a 2013 explorer and I have some questions on cross bars. I am saving up for a paddle board and I know I need to eventually invest in bars so I can put the board on top. What is the best and most cost effective cross bars available on the market that will mount to the factory rack bars? Does anyone here have boards they mount on the top of their explorers that can give any advice or share picture of how they are tied down? I am very new to this and I tried searching online but the only ones I found that make sense are the ones offered by ford so I didn't know if there was a cheaper place to buy the same cross bars or if there is anyone here that can advise me to something better. Thank you for your help =)

I have the Ford bars and I carry a canoe on top with no problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you JDraper, do you put cushions around them?

Back