Water Leak | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Almost bought a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport.

Did test drive. really liked it. was thinking to make an offer tomorrow. now I've found this website and all the discussions about this "water leaking" problem. it sounds so frustrating. Now I started having a second thought. If I ask the saleman at dealership about this "water leak" issue tomorrow, what would he say? should I trust them? Dose Ford know how to build a car?

I feel so bad as I will have to start looking for another one...:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your dealer will probably tell you, "you can't believe everything you read on the net". I understand that people find forums because they're either enthusiasts or searching for the answer to a problem. What I wonder is how widespread is the problem? What if I'm my parents, who aren't internet savvy and they believe they're the only ones with this problem? What about the Arizona and Nevada owners who have more dry weather then wet and don't know they have a problem...yet. my dealer has tried 8x to fix it running it through car washes and shooting hoses at it to no avail. Yet when it lightly rains our headliner fills like a bird bath....

After a couple days in the shop it appears that they fixed the issue. It has not rained much since the fix but it appears all is well. If you are to purchase, I would just check out the third row area on the passenger side.

After a couple days in the shop it appears that they fixed the issue. It has not rained much since the fix but it appears all is well. If you are to purchase, I would just check out the third row area on the passenger side.

Go back and look at my video, the leak isn't side specific. The only thing I can say that I think I've deduced is that 2011's seem to be the worst offenders.

We had rain last week.. Yep.. Leaked again for the 4 th time..back in shop.. I tell every explorer owner that I see anywhere about this problem. This is unacceptable.

Your dealer will probably tell you, "you can't believe everything you read on the net". I understand that people find forums because they're either enthusiasts or searching for the answer to a problem. What I wonder is how widespread is the problem? What if I'm my parents, who aren't internet savvy and they believe they're the only ones with this problem? What about the Arizona and Nevada owners who have more dry weather then wet and don't know they have a problem...yet. my dealer has tried 8x to fix it running it through car washes and shooting hoses at it to no avail. Yet when it lightly rains our headliner fills like a bird bath....

OK, Ford is totally out. I heard they even have had 3 recalls for their 2013 Escape models. oh, American cars, it's not easy to say I love you.

Hi everyone,

If you are currently experiencing this issue and have not yet contacted me, please send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll look into ways I can assist.

Those of you who have had case escalations: I'm happy to arrange for a follow-up call from your regional customer service manager. Just send me a PM with your current mileage and I'll handle the rest.

Thanks,

Crystal

We just purchased a 2013 XLT 4 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I was digging through the spare tire well and found that there was a puddle. I pulled up the spare tire to find huge blooms of mold all over the padding. I reached around the padding surrounding the spare tire well and found more wetness towards the third row seat.

The dealership has found leaks in the rear hatch weatherstripping and the rear window seal. They are replacing all the padding in the rear of the vehicle.

This was a preexisting condition when we bought the vehicle, and thank goodness I was searching for the tire iron or we might not have noticed it for weeks/months (or at least until the next storm).

Prospective buyers - make sure to check the spare tire well for wetness when you are looking at the vehicle. It'll save you some time later on.

We get our car back tomorrow, hopefully it's the last time we have to deal with this.

We just purchased a 2013 XLT 4 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I was digging through the spare tire well and found that there was a puddle. I pulled up the spare tire to find huge blooms of mold all over the padding. I reached around the padding surrounding the spare tire well and found more wetness towards the third row seat.

The dealership has found leaks in the rear hatch weatherstripping and the rear window seal. They are replacing all the padding in the rear of the vehicle.

This was a preexisting condition when we bought the vehicle, and thank goodness I was searching for the tire iron or we might not have noticed it for weeks/months (or at least until the next storm).

Prospective buyers - make sure to check the spare tire well for wetness when you are looking at the vehicle. It'll save you some time later on.

We get our car back tomorrow, hopefully it's the last time we have to deal with this.

Keep checking after rain.. Went thru water test after test at shop.. Still leaking. They are at a loss of what to do. It was tire apart and pieced back together and still persists! The field service engineer looked at it when I took this last time and could not believe it. Ford needs to stand by this horrendous defect... And do the right thing for all the loyal ford explorer owners. Buy back or replacement!

When our Ex went back the 7th time to get the leak repaired our dealer dented our drivers rear door. We were bummed that the Ex would now have to return to have the damage repaired. But then it started leaking so it didn't matter. Now its been back for the past two weeks. Hopefully we get it back and everything will be repaired.

2013 water leak

I wish I would have seen this thread before I bought my 2013 Explorer XLT!!! YES, the 2013 models have the water leak problem too!! My carpet is wet just underneath the third row seat on the driver side. The carpet is wet where you stow the seat away.

This is outrageous! Hello ford rep.. Who can u talk to about this in Chicago at the assembly plant where these defective vehicles are being made over and over for how many years now?

I wish I would have seen this thread before I bought my 2013 Explorer XLT!!! YES, the 2013 models have the water leak problem too!! My carpet is wet just underneath the third row seat on the driver side. The carpet is wet where you stow the seat away.

This is outrageous! Hello ford rep.. Who can u talk to about this in Chicago at the assembly plant where these defective vehicles are being made over and over for how many years now?

Hi esw2005 and Candacelee,

I want to get your cases escalated to your regional customer service managers. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get the ball rolling. Case escalations are the ideal way to get your concerns documented and into the hands of people who can assist.

Thanks!

Crystal

When our Ex went back the 7th time to get the leak repaired our dealer dented our drivers rear door. We were bummed that the Ex would now have to return to have the damage repaired. But then it started leaking so it didn't matter. Now its been back for the past two weeks. Hopefully we get it back and everything will be repaired.

Hey Edgieguy,

I want to get this back into the hands of your regional customer service manager. Send me a PM with your current mileage and I'll do the rest.

Thanks!

Crystal

Hey Crystal thanks. You've been very nice and super responsive. My regional, Cynthia likewise is top notch. I have nothing but respect for both of you following through and doing your jobs so well, and so completely. I think we need to kick this to a lawyer now to review. Were nearing 3 months of being in service over 9 attempts to repair a roof leak. To top it off its from the ford dealer who prides itself on being a ford winner for doing it right the first time service center. Again, thanks for all the help.

I have an update on my 2013 Explorer XLT. The dealership found the leak. It was leaking at the driver side tail light and the seam near the taillight.

Well, after a night of rain my Xtra Leaky Truck is laking again!!! This is the third time in five weeks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, after a night of rain my Xtra Leaky Truck is laking again!!! This is the third time in five weeks!

Hi esw2005,

I want to make sure you know I'm here to assist. I can escalate your case to your regional customer service manager so that they can work on a resolution for you. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

Back