Burning oil, aka "Sulfur smell" TSB FAILED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burning oil, aka "Sulfur smell" TSB FAILED

gpzrider

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited 4x4
Finally got a chance to test out the fix. Much to my dismay, it failed to cure the exhaust entering into the cabin. Punched it entering the freeway, settled on 65 miles per hour and then just like always, smell enters the cabin with recirculation on. It was at the dealer another 8 days all for nothing. I waited a year for this TSB to come out and it failed. Sad day for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed you also have the Limited 4x4. While I've been waiting for the parts to come in for the TSB, I've read somewhere here that his EX was found with leaking oil coming from the PTU seal. Might be also worth taking a look at.

I'm guessing when we accelerate more power is transferred to the rear wheels thus oil moving around. I will definitely point this out to my dealer too.

I resisted commenting on this hoping Ford would do right and fix the issue but after 2 trips to the dealer where in the 2nd visit the rep said they ripped the back part out and found no place where the fumes can seep in but they still get the smell. now dealer is not returning calls and Ford support says I need to drive 5K miles for the fix to "work". very disappointing.

I noticed you also have the Limited 4x4. While I've been waiting for the parts to come in for the TSB, I've read somewhere here that his EX was found with leaking oil coming from the PTU seal. Might be also worth taking a look at.

I'm guessing when we accelerate more power is transferred to the rear wheels thus oil moving around. I will definitely point this out to my dealer too.

That's me who reported PTU seal leaking and it has been fixed. But even before the fix, I had no problem with the bad small in the cabin that you guys has experienced. Just FYI. I think I'm just lucky not having the problem but I do have others like A pillar rattle, bumpy tranny, overheated engine (because of the broken fan) and the famous dark myford touch.

Finally got a chance to test out the fix. Much to my dismay, it failed to cure the exhaust entering into the cabin. Punched it entering the freeway, settled on 65 miles per hour and then just like always, smell enters the cabin with recirculation on. It was at the dealer another 8 days all for nothing. I waited a year for this TSB to come out and it failed. Sad day for me.

I resisted commenting on this hoping Ford would do right and fix the issue but after 2 trips to the dealer where in the 2nd visit the rep said they ripped the back part out and found no place where the fumes can seep in but they still get the smell. now dealer is not returning calls and Ford support says I need to drive 5K miles for the fix to "work". very disappointing.

That's me who reported PTU seal leaking and it has been fixed. But even before the fix, I had no problem with the bad small in the cabin that you guys has experienced. Just FYI. I think I'm just lucky not having the problem but I do have others like A pillar rattle, bumpy tranny, overheated engine (because of the broken fan) and the famous dark myford touch.

Hey gang,

I want to get your concerns into the hands of your regional customer service managers. If I've escalated your case in the past, just send me a PM with your current mileage. If not, I'll need a PM from you with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get the ball rolling.

Thanks!

Crystal

The smell in the cabin seems to be in a lot of cars I think. Mine hasn't been doing it that much now since I have 14k miles (nor have I been really putting it in the higher RPMs) but the Chrysler Town and Country that was my rental seemed to have the same smell when I hit 4,000 RPM when the A/C is on. The cabin smells is terrible though. Would like it that the car didn't have it. Hope they do have a proper fix soon.

Finally had the TSB 12-12-4 done. Dealer is still missing one drain valve for the rear. They replaced air extractor, rear side mouldings, put sealant where its needed and sprayed undercoating as per the TSB.

THE RESULT: NOT 100%! However, I do believe there is an improvement in the smell after the initial 1 hour drive I took the EX. I was accelerating heavily while overtaking multiple cars and only a faint smell of sulfur (or Hair Perm smell).

I will further monitor the smell in the next coming weeks.

This TSB improved the problem - But did not FIX it... Smell is still there - Sit in the 3rd row while someone else drives. It will give you a really nice headache.

Brutal driving up to Mammoth, Ca this weekend. Last stretch from Bishop, Ca (elevation 4147) to the top of the summit at around 7700 requires 4500 rpms in order to maintain 65 miles per hour. Had to turn off recirculate or else be asphyxiated by the exhaust. Yes, this is post TSB.

Im confused as to why you would want recirculation on all the time during your drive.

I always want heated or cooled fresh air coming in the vehicle not the same interior smells all the time being recirculated.

Unless its extreme heat or extreme cold why would you not want outside fresh air?

Im confused as to why you would want recirculation on all the time during your drive.

I wanted heated or cooled fresh air coming in the vehicle not the same interior smells all the time being recirculated.

Unless its extreme heat or extreme cold why would you not want outside fresh air?

This TSB improved the problem - But did not FIX it... Smell is still there - Sit in the 3rd row while someone else drives. It will give you a really nice headache.

Brutal driving up to Mammoth, Ca this weekend. Last stretch from Bishop, Ca (elevation 4147) to the top of the summit at around 7700 requires 4500 rpms in order to maintain 65 miles per hour. Had to turn off recirculate or else be asphyxiated by the exhaust. Yes, this is post TSB.

Hi FlyBoy789 and gpzrider,

Have you had a chance to return to your dealerships so that they can inspect? I'm happy to get involved as well; send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get your info into the right hands.

Crystal

I always want heated or cooled fresh air coming in the vehicle not the same interior smells all the time being recirculated.

Because whenever there is a car in front of you, you are pulling their exhaust into your car.

Because whenever there is a car in front of you, you are pulling their exhaust into your car.

Your driving too close to the vehicle in front of you.

LOL this is so true... I live in the central valley, center of Tulare County (aka AG country) and if you don't use recirculate you will never want another hamburger again. :D

Someone needs a time out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dealer called me and said they will also have to replace the right side DUAL RATE AIR EXTRACTOR. In the original TSB, only the left side is to be replaced. Great! Calls for another bumper removal and what not...

By the way, another owner here in the Philippines has posted that his EX has been performed for 2 TSBs for the smell: TSB 12-8-8 and TSB 12-12-04. His dealer also opted to change the tailgate weatherstrip and aligned the tailgate catch. So far he said the smell is gone.

Back