Explorer wont stay locked, doors unlock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer wont stay locked, doors unlock

Randys1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer
Has been happening forever, I lock it, i use the remote to lock it or I use the keypad on the door, I check it, very very carefully.

Come back an hour later, unlocked...

Anybody else having this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has been happening forever, I lock it, i use the remote to lock it or I use the keypad on the door, I check it, very very carefully.

Since your profile doesn't show which model/year you have, I'm assuming it is a 2011 XLT because you didn't mention trying to lock it with the button in the handle. Is this happening when you park in the same spot everytime or is it in random places? Does it also happen if you lock it with the lock/unlock button on the driver's door or when you push the lock button down manually?
Is there any chance something could be triggering the fob Unlock button when you put the key away?
Something has to be acting as the 'trigger' to send the correct frequency to the vehicle's receiver. Does it also happen when you lock it at home?
If it is like most things, it probably won't do it if you sit around waiting for it to happen.

Peter

Since your profile doesn't show which model/year you have, I'm assuming it is a 2011 XLT because you didn't mention trying to lock it with the button in the handle. Is this happening when you park in the same spot everytime or is it in random places? Does it also happen if you lock it with the lock/unlock button on the driver's door or when you push the lock button down manually?
Is there any chance something could be triggering the fob Unlock button when you put the key away?
Something has to be acting as the 'trigger' to send the correct frequency to the vehicle's receiver. Does it also happen when you lock it at home?
If it is like most things, it probably won't do it if you sit around waiting for it to happen.

Peter
Limited, it does seem to happen in office parking lot more often than anywhere else, i always lock either with the fob or the panel on outside door

I am having this problem with my 2014 explorer limited. Have previously had problems with the keypad not working correctly, now this exact same thing is happening. Just wondering what ever became of your situation? Thank you!

I am having this problem with my 2014 explorer limited. Have previously had problems with the keypad not working correctly, now this exact same thing is happening. Just wondering what ever became of your situation? Thank you!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Not sure if you'll get a response from him or not. Last post was August 14, 2013.
Does this problem occur anywhere or only in a specific spot?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Not sure if you'll get a response from him or not. Last post was August 14, 2013.
Does this problem occur anywhere or only in a specific spot?

Peter
Yea I'm really grasping for straws because this is the only thing I've found at all on the web about this specific problem. So far I do not notice a pattern of certain places it happens. However I do notice that the unlock button on my keyfob has become extremely sensitive, the button does not even have to be pushed to unlock it only have to touch. Also I've noticed a couple times the vehicle will unlock when I'm walking up to it, probably within ten feet.

Yea I'm really grasping for straws because this is the only thing I've found at all on the web about this specific problem. So far I do not notice a pattern of certain places it happens. However I do notice that the unlock button on my keyfob has become extremely sensitive, the button does not even have to be pushed to unlock it only have to touch. Also I've noticed a couple times the vehicle will unlock when I'm walking up to it, probably within ten feet.
If you have another keyfob, perhaps try carrying that for a while and see if there is a change. Is it possible that the Unlock button on the keyfob is stuck down a bit already and therefore only requires a slight touch? It does sound like the keyfob may be the problem.

Peter

Back