MFT Black / Blank Screen | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Black / Blank Screen

**Update**

The new module came in and was installed this morning. Picked up the vehicle just a short while ago, but had to rush back to work and didn't really have time to play with it there.

On my way back, I noticed that the format of the screen looks different and yes I had the latest update installed before the module crashed.

In the top right corner, it used to say Destination and now it says Information and the only two buttons on the bottom of the screen are the Home button and Settings button. Before it was an I (for information), Home, and Settings. I couldn't find Destination/Directions anywhere while I was in the car.

Is it possible that they installed a module without GPS? I checked and my GPS sim card is still in the slot. I'm going to play with it more later to see if I can figure it out, but man I'm gonna be pissed if I have to take it back again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I just talked to a Sync rep over the phone and he had me try a master reset just in case, but confirmed that the dealer installed the no navigation module, which is why the screen also looks different and why I don't have the option to select Navigation on my screen.

Just called the dealer and waiting for them to call me back. Can't wait to hear what they say about this.

I will say it is very easy to select the non-nav by mistake when reloading everything. It happened to us once and I am sure it will happen to others.....

I will say it is very easy to select the non-nav by mistake when reloading everything. It happened to us once and I am sure it will happen to others.....
Sorry - but that just means that their quality contol process needs serious improvement, and yours does, too.

And it also means that it is very easy for Ford to authorize nav installation after the sale, and they refuse to. Not that I'd want it. My $115 Garmin does a much better job.

Sorry - but that just means that their quality contol process needs serious improvement, and yours does, too.

And it also means that it is very easy for Ford to authorize nav installation after the sale, and they refuse to. Not that I'd want it. My $115 Garmin does a much better job.

Yea, when I spoke to the Sync tech over the phone, he explained that they tell customers if they don't want Navigation to absolutely make sure they don't want it because they can't go back and install it. I thought that was strange because obviously they have the ability to change it out for a different Sync module with Navigation.

Seems weird that their so adament about not doing that.

Yea, when I spoke to the Sync tech over the phone, he explained that they tell customers if they don't want Navigation to absolutely make sure they don't want it because they can't go back and install it. I thought that was strange because obviously they have the ability to change it out for a different Sync module with Navigation.

Seems weird that their so adament about not doing that.

This is more than likely a licensing issue and nothing else. In order to meet their 3rd party agreements they probably had to concede to factory installation only.

Asked to speak with a manager at the dealership this morning and they called me back an hour later and he sincerly apologized for the situation and said the techs and computer should have picked up on it and realized that Navigation should also be installed.

He asked me if I had time to bring it in today and he would put a priority on it. Dropped it off and an hour later he called and said it's ready to be picked up. Navigation seems to be working great so far. Crossing my fingers.

Asked to speak with a manager at the dealership this morning and they called me back an hour later and he sincerly apologized for the situation and said the techs and computer should have picked up on it and realized that Navigation should also be installed.

He asked me if I had time to bring it in today and he would put a priority on it. Dropped it off and an hour later he called and said it's ready to be picked up. Navigation seems to be working great so far. Crossing my fingers.

Glad to see everything got straightened out, explorernoles!

Hey, dco43054!

This is a software configuration issue, not hardware. Due to the programming/coding that is required, it doesn't have "off-the-shelf" functionality. One limitation is that the module has licensing that has to be activated at the time of build.

If we do decide to offer it as an add-on in the future, we will make our customers aware. :)

MyFord Touch black screen

I have a 2013 Explorer Limited. This evening after parking and returning to my car a few hours later, MyFord Touch was a blank black screen. I cannot access any "Entertainment" features, though fortunately I can control the fan speed and temperature with the console controls. The clock on the drivers view (right side) still shows time time at which I parked the vehicle. Any advice? I'm out of town and hate the thought of driving back home with no radio or anything.

I have a 2013 Explorer Limited. This evening after parking and returning to my car a few hours later, MyFord Touch was a blank black screen. I cannot access any "Entertainment" features, though fortunately I can control the fan speed and temperature with the console controls. The clock on the drivers view (right side) still shows time time at which I parked the vehicle. Any advice? I'm out of town and hate the thought of driving back home with no radio or anything.
Welcome to the Forum Haleymo37.:wavey:
Since you are not able to access the MFT screen, I don't see many options.
How flexible are you? Initially, the most common response was to pull fuse #29 and re-insert it. That seemed to clear many of the issues. As a last resort, a battery disconnect/reconnect was suggested. I believe only the Positive cable should be used for this procedure. The Ex will then have to go through a 'relearn' of the fuel trim and idle points as well as the transmission shift points each time the battery is disconnected.
Perhaps some members will have other suggestions but as I said, without the screen, your options appear limited.
If there is Ford dealer in the area, you may want to drop in and see them before heading home.
Good luck.

Peter

You got what's known as the black screen of death. This means that your APIM is probably dead. I have a feeling this is going to be a common occurrence since they extended the warranty for the APIM and also, my APIM went out twice. Go to the dealer and get it replaced. The black screen only happens when the APIM goes out. It seems to be a very unreliable and poorly designed part for the MFT system.

Now you will really be able to focus all senses on that "new car smell". Seriously, they should have this **** figured out by now. 2+ years and the same old problems - this is what we get for buying American.

Now you will really be able to focus all senses on that "new car smell". Seriously, they should have this **** figured out by now. 2+ years and the same old problems - this is what we get for buying American.

If it makes you feel any better, My Japanese car has a rattling windshield, very weak headlights and a jerky transmission. all of these problems are well documented and have been around for far longer than 2 years with seemingly no fix in sight. I just wish I knew all of this before buying the car. lol

you know what they say, when you get lemons... complain to the dealership so they can tell you that all cars in the series have the same problem and there is nothing they can do :)

Hi, Haleymo37!

Were you able to stop by a dealership yet? If not, I suggest doing so before you make your trip home. Let us know what's going on with your MyFord Touch.

Rebecca

The APIM seem to be a huge weak link in the system. I've heard of them going dead with a simple software update and just randomly for no reason.

Fuse pull will fix this most of the time.

Welcome to the Forum Haleymo37.:wavey:
Since you are not able to access the MFT screen, I don't see many options.
How flexible are you? Initially, the most common response was to pull fuse #29 and re-insert it. That seemed to clear many of the issues. As a last resort, a battery disconnect/reconnect was suggested. I believe only the Positive cable should be used for this procedure. The Ex will then have to go through a 'relearn' of the fuel trim and idle points as well as the transmission shift points each time the battery is disconnected.
Perhaps some members will have other suggestions but as I said, without the screen, your options appear limited.
If there is Ford dealer in the area, you may want to drop in and see them before heading home.
Good luck.

Peter

Is fuse #29 under the hood or the one that's under the dash that's difficult to access? I disconnected the battery and nothing changed. Do I need to have it disconnected for a certain amount of time? Thanks

Is fuse #29 under the hood or the one that's under the dash that's difficult to access? I disconnected the battery and nothing changed. Do I need to have it disconnected for a certain amount of time? Thanks

If you pull the fuse or battery, both should make the MFT reset. However, since it's not coming on at all, what this means is that your APIM (the MFT computer) is probably dead and you should go to the dealership and get it done. The warranty has been extended to 5 years/ unlimited miles. So you should be good to go.

Fuse #29 is under the dash where most people I know can't get at it. I believe that fuse box location may have been changed in the 2013 models. As 1995E mentioned, there is a very good possibility that the Sync Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) has to be replaced.
Your dealer will have to do that and, as mentioned, it is under warranty.
Good luck.

Peter

Attachments

• 0985a_017.JPG
    0985a_017.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 6,243

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5 years of my tore up streets is a long time...how about a nice red circle around that puppy?:hammer:

Back