• Register Today It's free!

Bronco ll spare tire carrier

jus97tin

Reaction score
City, State
carlisle, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt, 97 ranger
Ok I have been searching for a couple of days to see what others have done with the carriers and I really would like to put one on my x. If I would do it, it would be the correct way to do it by putting backing plates behind it to reinforce the body and paint the holes that I drill so it doesn't rust, the whole nine yards. What I want to see from everyone is what is the longevity of the carrier? I don't do my offroading at all and my x is super clean like its off the showroom floor. So is this something that could screw my truck up in the long run or with my daily driver on road use will I not have anything to worry about? I really don't want to put it on and mess up a perfectly good body. I have read that others have had problems with it so that's why I'm asking. I saw that guys were putting them on their Cherokees and they worked out great and they weren't even designed for that vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Page 9 surreal used an FSB carrier - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171783&page=9

If you don't want to do that, then you could get one that attaches using the tow hitch.

0414120737.jpg

Last discussion I heard of this was that the Explorers body will not support it enough to be safe. That was a few years ago though.

Last discussion I heard of this was that the Explorers body will not support it enough to be safe. That was a few years ago though.

This. If you look at the body on a BII where it attaches it is befed up and the Explorer body does not have any extra reinforcement in that area. It will bolt on with a little work but it will start cracking and could fall off. A guy in town here put one on and he was fighting cracks in the body all the time.

I have one for sale if your interested. From the looks of it, it won't be hard to make it stronger than it was on the BII. Flat stock mounted at the top and bottom with a plate, welded to the stock, butted up against the quarter panel.
I was going to do this, but now I've got Sport Trac and not going to do it.

Back