• Register Today It's free!

No A/C during idle

phareous

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
This is the first time this has ever happened to me. I was parked with the engine on and the cabin started getting hotter and hotter. I finally realized the A/C was not working. I put it down to LO and even tried MAX A/C but it would not come on. The second I put the car in reverse and started moving, the A/C began working.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to the dealer right away - DO NOT USE THE A/C in the meantime because you might overheat the engine. The A/C fan need to be replaced!
This happened to my car last week and by reading this forum regularly, I knew right away the most likely problem.

This is the first time this has ever happened to me. I was parked with the engine on and the cabin started getting hotter and hotter. I finally realized the A/C was not working. I put it down to LO and even tried MAX A/C but it would not come on. The second I put the car in reverse and started moving, the A/C began working.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Hi phareous,

I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can take a look. Additionally, I'm happy to get your case in the hands of your regional Customer Service Manager; just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll do the rest!

Crystal

I second tttsample's post. Your cooling fans are not working properly. I had this happen to mine almost a year ago. It's a known problem so get it to the dealer ASAP before it stops totally and overheats

Dealer said they wouldn't look at it unless they could reproduce it and otherwise they would charge a diagnostic fee. Weather is still too cold for me to use a/c so I guess I have to wait u until it gets warmer

Dealer said they wouldn't look at it unless they could reproduce it and otherwise they would charge a diagnostic fee. Weather is still too cold for me to use a/c so I guess I have to wait u until it gets warmer

Find another dealer, I wouldn't do business with a place that treated me like that after a sale.

Hi phareous,

My offer to assist still stands. Send a PM my way if you want me to get involved. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thanks Crystal... I'm going to wait until the weather warms up (should be less than a month) and then I'll find out if the a/c gives me any more problems. If so I plan to pursue it

Thanks Crystal... I'm going to wait until the weather warms up (should be less than a month) and then I'll find out if the a/c gives me any more problems. If so I plan to pursue it

I would make sure the cooling fan/PCM recall has been done first, like right now! The dealer MUST perform this PCM update whether they can reproduce it or not. I would not wait until the weather warms up as the cooling fans run even in cold weather.

I would make sure the cooling fan/PCM recall has been done first, like right now! The dealer MUST perform this PCM update whether they can reproduce it or not. I would not wait until the weather warms up as the cooling fans run even in cold weather.

I don't think that fan update applies to 2013?

Customer Satisfaction Program 12B36 for cooling fans.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/tsb.php/m-FORD/d-EXPLORER/y-2011/t-CSP-12B36-1-

TSB data for: 2011 FORD EXPLORER
Bulletin Number: CSP-12B36-1-
Sequence Number: 10044903
Date: 20120409
Component Name: 061000 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Make: FORD
Model: EXPLORER
Year: 2011
Summary:
FORD: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. THE ENGINE COOLING FAN MOTORS WOULD BE INOPERATIVE DUE TO CONTAMINATION BUILD UP ON ELECTRICAL CONTACTS WHICH CAN CAUSE ENGINE TO HAVE REDUCED POWER. *PE

http://www.fordproblems.com/tsbs/Explorer/2012/

Recent 2012 Explorer TSBs

ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Date Reported:APRIL 09 2012
NHTSA Reference:#10044903
TSB Reference:#CSP-12B36-1-2

Description: FORD: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. THE ENGINE COOLING FAN MOTORS WOULD BE INOPERATIVE DUE TO CONTAMINATION BUILD UP ON ELECTRICAL CONTACTS WHICH CAN CAUSE ENGINE TO HAVE REDUCED POWER. *PE

The following is from a letter regarding the 12B36 program found on the Flex Forum;

This service will be performed free of charge (parts and labor) under the terms of this program.

Effective till May 1, 2013 regardless of mileage. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

Peter

It's under warranty! They shouldn't be charging a damn diagnostics fee! Tell your dealer that they are not doing their job because they are not honoring the warranty of the vehicle! My dealer has diagnosed, checked, examined my brake system under warranty because of issues. They shouldn't charge jack squat.

It's under warranty! They shouldn't be charging a damn diagnostics fee! Tell your dealer that they are not doing their job because they are not honoring the warranty of the vehicle! My dealer has diagnosed, checked, examined my brake system under warranty because of issues. They shouldn't charge jack squat.
I'm not sure what the official policy on this is. If it entails a lot of work in trying to diagnose a problem they can't find or duplicate, chances are they are not going to be paid for their time by the warranty people so who then is responsible?
There have been many instances where owners have brought their vehicles in for a TSB repair only to be told that "we were unable to duplicate the problem" and nothing was done.
I would hope that a dealer interested in maintaining good customer relations may do some preliminary diagnostics without charging but is it policy or up to the dealer. If it is a quick and easy check, then I agree that Jack Squat shouldn't be charged.

Peter

Back