• Register Today It's free!

Engine problem

JESSIJAMES

Reaction score
City, State
BRONX, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT 4.0 6 cylinder
Ok so the other night as I was arriving at work, my truck started making this horrific noise. It almost sounded like a jack hammer. During my 55 mile commute, my truck never gave me any indication of any problems. There was never any hesitation, no warning lights and no leaks. The truck still starts up, but it looks and sounds like the engine is about to jump out from under the hood. A co-worker who used to work on cars, told me it was definitely my valves. I was just wondering if his diagnosis is correct. It's a 2005 Explorer XLT 6-cyl with 299,800 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No codes, lights, nothing. Just a regular ride to work until the last 3 minutes.

shyte, i only got 70k and Im getting a new engine next week, injector stuck open caused engine to hydro-lock and ceased the engine...FML

So I got the bad news today. Lots of internal damage. Used engine with 60,000 miles will cost $4034 + tax. One with a 3yr/100,000 mile will run me $4900 + tax and a Jasper engine will cost me $5500 plus. I know everyone says to just get rid of it and get a new one, but who's to say I won't have a problem with the new one in like 6 months? I have a VERY big decision to make.

4K WOW I hope that is installed with cold plated bolts. In MA a 4.0 with 60k is about $800 - $1000 and I changed mine myself in about 10hrs (over 3ish days) with lots of beverage breaks LOL.

4K WOW I hope that is installed with cold plated bolts. In MA a 4.0 with 60k is about $800 - $1000.

Look where he lives, Bronx, NY. Everything is over priced in New York City.

I can get to the Bronx in 3hrs and I picked my replacement motor in Waterbury CT about 1 1/2hrs to the Bronx. A really quick search turned up a 06 4.0 out of a mustang with 70k on the clock for $990 that is in Rahway NJ, that's what 15min from the Bronx.

4k for a 4.0 motor is more like Alaska or Hawaii prices.

I can get to the Bronx in 3hrs and I picked my replacement motor in Waterbury CT about 1 1/2hrs to the Bronx. A really quick search turned up a 06 4.0 out of a mustang with 70k on the clock for $990 that is in Rahway NJ, that's what 15min from the Bronx.

4k for a 4.0 motor is more like Alaska or Hawaii prices.

I don't agree with the 4k price quote, and I'd be willing to bet that price included the installation(if not holy $hit), but CT and NJ aren't the heart of New York City no matter how far the drive from one place to the other. It's just way more expensive to live in NY city. There is a state prison in Rahway. BTW, 4k in Alaska and Hawaii is more like the price of a gallon of milk. :D

If you can't take then move. If you can't drive 15 miles to save thousands then don't complain.

If you can't take then move. If you can't drive 15 miles to save thousands then don't complain.

I don't know if your message here is for me or the OP because I'm not the one looking for a motor, but I agree with you on taking the drive out of the area you live to save a bunch of money by picking up a cheaper motor elsewhere, but not everyone is willing to do that. My "only point" to you was things cost a lot more in New York City than most everywhere else in the Continental U.S. You also need to take into consideration that not everyone(self included) can swap out a motor by themselves in 10 hours either. Some people are stuck paying someone else to do that for them.

I don't know if your message here is for me or the OP because I'm not the one looking for a motor, but I agree with you on taking the drive out of the area you live to save a bunch of money by picking up a cheaper motor elsewhere, but not everyone is willing to do that. My "only point" to you was things cost a lot more in New York City than most everywhere else in the Continental U.S. You also need to take into consideration that not everyone(self included) can swap out a motor by themselves in 10 hours either. Some people are stuck paying someone else to do that for them.

Originally Posted by tower

I was quoted $6600 everything out the door from the only ford dealer here in anchorage. Cheapest used engine i found so far is $1600 78k 3 months warranty

Glad we're all here to help each other. I don't see the op complaining (or anyone else). You have to consider that there are very few places to work on your car in the Bronx or most of the remaining NYC area. I'm sure the mechanics take that into consideration when they give you a quote. Rahway is a bit more than 15 minutes away and you still need to haul the engine back and have a plce to work on it along with the tools and know-how.

Bought a 02' Explorer w/bad engine. Then I bought a 4.6L engine, 80K, out of a 2003 mountaineer for $750... and thats in SW Philly. Mechanic charged $450 to install, and that included switching valve covers, new sealant, full tune-up, belt, and clearing codes.

Yes that is with installation. The main problem is that the engine in the 2005 was only made that year, and so it it much more difficult to get and I'm guessing that's why it's more expensive. It is a long block engine. I am willing to drive to go pick one up if I can get it cheaper. I would also like one with low miles, as I drive 35,000-40,000 miles a year. I just hope the cheap little rental car can handle it. Lol. BTW, I'm a female. I would do it myself if I could, but working nights and sometimes double shifts (16 hours), doesn't leave me much free time. I enjoy working on cars and don't mind getting my hands dirty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back