• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle/no power

MrBean

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT 4.0 4X4
Hello guys, I got an 05 XLT 4WD 4.0L with 70000 miles on it. I was driving to the store and my X died at the stop light. I was idling at the stop light and all of a sudden i loss power and came to a really rough idle and eventually died. I finally got it running again and i pulled in to the nearest parking lot. Got my X towed home and the only code i got was cylinder #3 misfire...i bought spark plugs and wires a while back and never got the chance to change it so i replaced them when i got home, but the problem is still there. X still starts, but very rough idle and almost no power at all...no codes, no noticeable vac leak, no unusual noises(ticking etc.), no white smoke, all the lights works fine...my next move would be to replace the coil pack....i gotta get some rest tonight and mess ill mess with it tomorrow....anybody came across this issue before or have any clue what could cause this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

idle

Sounds like a coil pack to me, good place to start.

Update: Went out this morning to mess with it, it turns over fine but no start now...i got no tools test for fuel pressure or compression test :(

OP, try unplugging the MAF and see if your issue changes at all.

Update: I got a blown motor...dealer would charge me $6600...lol

im going through this same thing. how did you come about to blown motor? just a compression check?

nope, i did not have enough time to mess with my X...i had to leave for work for 3 weeks so i just towed it to the Ford Dealer i got it from and they charge $115 for diagnosis to save me time and money. Im gonna get my X towed home and Im looking for an engine at the moment.

Well 4.0 are plenitful and around here about $700, when I changed mine it was about $1000 all in and took me 3 days.

Did they tell you what they found that makes them think it is a blown motor?

i would check it just in case. I got error coes 303 ,316 an my truck is running just like yours, same cylinder too. I just checked my comp and i got 150 on that cylinder. After i replaced my crank sensor my engine light went away. But I still have a sputter. I think it might be the number 3 injector.

I haven't talked with the mechanic at the ford dealer, been really busy...they just call my wife and told her that cylinder #4 is bad...that is as far as i know...i will call them later on today to find out how he came up with that....i just got a quote from a shop..$2250 engine swap with 6 months warranty...maybe just enough to trade it in or sell it...i love my explorer tho

im in anchorage and its a small place, the cheapest engine ive found is $1495 78k...they said good compression, good oil pressure...really hard to believe...$2250 quote from that other shop sound like a better deal coz i dont have a garage or the tools

update: found more info from the ford dealer; injector #3 stucked open and flooded the cylinder and hydro-lock my engine, engine ceased and now in the process of getting an engine

Then y did they first tell u cylinder 4 was bad...seems even if it stuck open it would just expell the.gas out the exhaust and run like crap; which you noticed it running bad and u stopped...seems very unlikely to me a stuck open injector caused the whole motor to hydro lock...its not like your injectors at niagra falls.

lmao...im away for work now, ill be home in 2 weeks and I wanna see my explorer first before I get it replaced...yes you are right and it doesn't make any sense at all...when i changed the spark plug at home, there was no smell or sign of gas, all the spark plugs looked fine, no white or black smoke when i was idling at home. The mechanic said that they only pulled the code and it showed 97 counts of misfire from cylinder 3, they start taking the spark plugs out for compression test and while they were doing the test, the engine ceased...i find it really hard to believe that just one stuck open injector ceased the engine.

A stuck injector can absolutely hydro-lock a motor and destroy it. I am not saying that is what happened but it can and does happen.

Back