• Register Today It's free!

Rear Main Seal Replacement

countrymz

Reaction score
City, State
Pine Bush, NY and Clemson, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I have a 95 with an automatic tranny and 4x4. My rear main seal is leaking pretty bad and was wondering how hard it would be to replace it?I know i need to move the tranny back and take off the flywheel but how difficult would it be? Any estimates on time doing it by myself or with another?
Thanks alot guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I will give you a answer. :) I have did this before but not in a Explorer. Depends how knowlegable you are with working on your own stuff, like pulling trans out and stuff like that. I think I would pull the trans out to do this repair. It would be much easier and you can then look up into the seal area and see if there are any problems. As far as time. I dunno. Depends how fast you are what tools you got. You going to do this at home on the floor or at a shop with a hoist? Have you even pulled a trans out before? Personally, I think I could do it in 10 hours or less at home. Before you think you can let me tell you this. I am a ASE certified tech who has pulled about 10 engines and about 12 transmissions. I think I have alot of experance (sp) I have alot of tools and air tools. So time will depend on your experance and alot of other things too. I have also raised the engine up pulled the oil pan off and pulled the main cap off and pulled the seal out that way and then "fished" a new one in it's place. This way will save time. Just a few ideas.

Eric

The rear main seal to me is easier if you just pull the transmission out. Now the replacement updated seal, if you use OEM Ford, will have a wear sleeve as part of the seal. The Ford seal will need a special tool to install because the tool will press the sleeve in as you are installing the seal as well as adding the proper depth for the seal. I have used this tool many times and say that the tool works great. And the seal never leaks again. Now you probably can't get access to the special tool so you probably should get a rear main seal from a local parts store like Napa or Carquest.

On the 4.0 OHV motor, you don't have to drop the pan to do it. You have to remove the tranny, the flywheel, and the rear engine plate to get to it.

Here's the info on removing it from the Hayne's manual

1. With a sharp awl or similar tool, punch two holes in the seal on opposite sides just above the point where the main bearing cap meets the cylinder block.

2. Thread a sheet metal screw in each hole. Pry against the screws with 2 large screwdrivers or small prybars to remove the seal. Be very careful not to gouge the crankshaft.

3.Clean the oil seal bore in the block and main bearing cap. Check the seal bore and crankshaft sealing surfaces for nicks or burrs.

4. Apply a thin coat of clean engine oil to the outer diameter of the seal. Apply a thin coat of Lubriplate or equivalent to the contact surfaces of the seal and crankshaft.

5. Position the seal in the bore with it's open end facing IN.

6. Drive the seal in with a seal driver until it is securely seated. Use a socket or piece of pipe the same diameter as the seal if a seal driver isn't available.

7. After installation, the front surface of the seal must be square with the centerline of the crankshaft within 0.015" (0.38mm)

Thanks for the help. I was planning on changing the rear main whenever i get around to installing a manual t-case in my exploder. I am at college but i have a decent place to work on it at our boathouse. I'm guessing the hardest part is dropping the tranny. I don't have a jack to do this and i especially don't have the money anymore to pay a mechanic to. Thanks alot though

You can rent a tranny jack pretty cheaply at most rental places. It makes the job MUCHO easier.

Thanks alot! thats what i was hoping to hear about the jack. I am pretty competent with my tools, just kinda slow the first time. Can i move the tranny enough with out undoing the fluid lines or is it not possible to get enough movement? Seems like the rest would be kinda easy with a tranny jack, just a lot to deal with.
thanks alot guys!!

Back