New Navigation Card? (A4) | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Navigation Card? (A4)

The map data is worthless without a GPS that'll take it and do something with it. So the data could be done in such a way that only someone that is "allowed" to have it could use it. It could be encrypted in such a way where you're fine to make copies, but an authorized system (hardware) is the only device that can actually use/read it.

Meaning, who cares if I make 1000 copies. What is someone going to do with them? Unless they have a system that takes it. So basically, if you're able to get it free from Ford, you have a device that can use it. If you can't get it for free from Ford, what good would having the maps do? In other words, let me DL a copy. I mean, if someone is sending me data on an SD card, I can almost guarantee I can take the data off and make it available anyway.

Hi, Cody!

Number four states the following -- LIMITATIONS ON USE
The Database is restricted for use in the specific system for which it was created. Except to the extent explicitly permitted by mandatory laws (e.g. national laws based on the European Software Directive (91/250) and the Database Directive (96/9)), you may not extract or reutilize substantial parts of the contents of the Database nor reproduce, copy, modify, adapt, translate, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer any portion of the Database. If you wish to obtain interoperability information as meant in (the national laws based on) the European Software Directive, you shall grant NAVTEQ reasonable opportunity to provide said information on reasonable terms, including costs, to be determined by NAVTEQ.

Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The map data is worthless without a GPS that'll take it and do something with it. So the data could be done in such a way that only someone that is "allowed" to have it could use it. It could be encrypted in such a way where you're fine to make copies, but an authorized system (hardware) is the only device that can actually use/read it.

Meaning, who cares if I make 1000 copies. What is someone going to do with them? Unless they have a system that takes it. So basically, if you're able to get it free from Ford, you have a device that can use it. If you can't get it for free from Ford, what good would having the maps do? In other words, let me DL a copy. I mean, if someone is sending me data on an SD card, I can almost guarantee I can take the data off and make it available anyway.

Though Ford is currently providing map upgrades for free to all MFT users (in order to facilitate making the system more stable and reliable), in the future they will not. They are currently paying for each copy of the maps that they distribute to you. Most automobile manufacturers don't provide free map updates, you are required to purchase them if you wish to bring them current. In your scenario future updates would be pirated and distributed because the device would know how to use them. This would violate Ford's agreement w/ the map provider, as well as rob Ford of cost and potential profit from the maps purchases.

The ONLY reason that map upgrades have been free to date, is because they have been required to continue using navigation after certain performance and feature enhancements. As soon as navigation is a stable functioning application then future updates will not be dependent on map data, and they will start charging you for map updates. Request a card, wait 24-48 hours for it to come in the mail, and be happy.

Though Ford is currently providing map upgrades for free to all MFT users (in order to facilitate making the system more stable and reliable), in the future they will not. They are currently paying for each copy of the maps that they distribute to you. Most automobile manufacturers don't provide free map updates, you are required to purchase them if you wish to bring them current. In your scenario future updates would be pirated and distributed because the device would know how to use them. This would violate Ford's agreement w/ the map provider, as well as rob Ford of cost and potential profit from the maps purchases.

The ONLY reason that map upgrades have been free to date, is because they have been required to continue using navigation after certain performance and feature enhancements. As soon as navigation is a stable functioning application then future updates will not be dependent on map data, and they will start charging you for map updates. Request a card, wait 24-48 hours for it to come in the mail, and be happy.

I'm actually surprised that they do it for free. I have a Pioneer Avic-Z130BT in my F-250 and Pioneer charged for the map update which came with software updates. they had a small bug fix for free, but to get the newer features of their software and maps if was $120.

The updates for our Edge Nav are $199. My wife is still happy with the 2007 CD.

Thanks for the replies. I guess that just leaves me surprised by two things:

1) I couldn't find any answers as to where I could simply download the map data -- or now more specifically -- find others asking the same thing and being told why you can't just download. You'd think others would have asked but in searching everyone just said "I ordered the card". Hopefully, since I stumbled on this site while searching, others will too and be helped.

2) You'd think FMT would have SOMETHING about this on their site? I know if I insisted on MAILING someone a small amount of data, I'd want to explain why the A4 map data couldn't be simply downloaded. I even called FMT to ask and the lady just said it wasn't available for download but could give no reason. The explanation that normally this is a charged for item but they're giving it for free this time (and only if you qualify) makes perfect sense.

While I'm on the subject, is there an easy way to download the update without using the ford site and their cheesy java applet that downloads it to a (and only to a) USB stick? I'd like to DL it on my PC then put it on a USB stick. For some reason, my wifes Ford keeps saying there is no update in the root director. I've use the downloader to put it on my USB disk and it makes a folder called "SyncMyRide". I also tired dragging those files out of that dir and right into root. I tried reformatting the USB stick as FAT32 (was NTFS). All ways keep saying that the files they need are not in root. Having done IT for 20 years, I know what the root dir is but I can't find any info on what FMT is looking for in terms of USB memory stick requirements or how they want the files. I can't see any logical reason why it wouldn't be taking the USB stick. And, sadly, I can't see WHAT the requirements might be (i.e., if it can't be NTFS, it would be nice if it said that somewhere. Maybe the USB stick can't be over x GB in size? Again, would be nice to have that somewhere. Do they want the files to stay in 'syncmyride' or to be copied to root? etc. etc. etc.

We've seemed to have gotten off thread topic here. (New Navigation Card?) Me included.
My apologies to the forum gods. :notworthy

For anyone that runs across this forum via a search looking for the same issue I tried to find answers to:

• If you put the data on USB and get the error that 'files are not in root', or whatever, go to the radio section and sellect USB as the device to play back. If it doesn't even see the USB stick, then that's why the update isn't working. I have 3 different memory cards and the first one (for whatever reason) wasn't being seen by the FMT system. I don't know why that otherwise working USB stick didn't work with FMT, and I couldn't find any specs by FMT regarding what can/can't be used (other than password protected)

• If you're getting the 'can't fine files' error, MAKE SURE THE USB STICK IS FORMATTED AS FAT32. I reformat all my USB cards to NTFS so I can put files on them larger than 2GB. NO WHERE DOES FORD SAY IT CANT BE NTFS, but it can't. Which is dumb seeing as MS makes NTFS. And even if there is another reason it can't, giving an error that says "This is NTFS, please format as FAT32" or something like that would be nice. Oh, and since FMT make you use some stupid java app to "place" the download on (and only on) a USB stick it would be nice if you were given a file system warning. As a solution, I had to move all my files off, format as Fat32, then put the install files back on.

• See above info on why you can't simply download the A4 map data. It has to be physically mailed (1982 AOL CD style). Dumb, I know, but just deal with it.

tldr: USB stick needs to be formatted as Fat32 not NTFS. If FMT still can't see the files, try another card (and use the radio playback, selecting USB as the source, to confirm if FMT can even see the USB stick). Suck it up and have A4 map data mailed, stop searching for a download :)

For anyone that runs across this forum via a search looking for the same issue I tried to find answers to:

• If you put the data on USB and get the error that 'files are not in root', or whatever, go to the radio section and sellect USB as the device to play back. If it doesn't even see the USB stick, then that's why the update isn't working. I have 3 different memory cards and the first one (for whatever reason) wasn't being seen by the FMT system. I don't know why that otherwise working USB stick didn't work with FMT, and I couldn't find any specs by FMT regarding what can/can't be used (other than password protected)

• If you're getting the 'can't fine files' error, MAKE SURE THE USB STICK IS FORMATTED AS FAT32. I reformat all my USB cards to NTFS so I can put files on them larger than 2GB. NO WHERE DOES FORD SAY IT CANT BE NTFS, but it can't. Which is dumb seeing as MS makes NTFS. And even if there is another reason it can't, giving an error that says "This is NTFS, please format as FAT32" or something like that would be nice. Oh, and since FMT make you use some stupid java app to "place" the download on (and only on) a USB stick it would be nice if you were given a file system warning. As a solution, I had to move all my files off, format as Fat32, then put the install files back on.

• See above info on why you can't simply download the A4 map data. It has to be physically mailed (1982 AOL CD style). Dumb, I know, but just deal with it.

tldr: USB stick needs to be formatted as Fat32 not NTFS. If FMT still can't see the files, try another card (and use the radio playback, selecting USB as the source, to confirm if FMT can even see the USB stick). Suck it up and have A4 map data mailed, stop searching for a download :)
FMT = MFT (MYFord Touch) ;)

Peter

You're seriously overthinking this. "1982 AOL CD style"? Was AOL even around in 1982, let alone CD's even mainstream media then?

You're seriously overthinking this. "1982 AOL CD style"? Was AOL even around in 1982, let alone CD's even mainstream media then?

It'd be funny if your comment (which is seriously overthinking his comment) was actually sarcasm as well at an even deeper Alanis level. :salute:

It'd be funny if your comment (which is seriously overthinking his comment) was actually sarcasm as well at an even deeper Alanis level. :salute:

This is turning into an Inception level discussion. It's making me a little sleepy.

Back