Moab 2013 - May 10-12 | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2013 - May 10-12

Which weekend is best? (May 10-12 is best for me)

• Weekend of May 10-12

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Weekend of May 17-20

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
Well I got the bumper and winch on just gotta work on a second battery and isolater for the winch......... Heres a pic of the bumper.

20130302_170743_zps8cf5ae7c.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of bumper is that?

Slowly getting the rig ready. Got all of the lights, windows, mirrors, and locks working along with adding an aftermarket remote keyless entry. Still need to get the coil and o2 sensor replaced, and get the body lift installed. Cant wait to get there

Bought it from jamscal..

Been wanting to get a bumper from him but I have a front hitch,don't know if it will fit. I will take a look at yours and do some measuring when we get there,might have to get rid of the hitch.:D

Been wanting to get a bumper from him but I have a front hitch,don't know if it will fit. I will take a look at yours and do some measuring when we get there,might have to get rid of the hitch.:D

He can bulid them with a front hitch in it for an extra 50 I think

Has anybody looked into which areas we will be generally be wheeling yet?

We have been going through Charles Wells guide and have some places we would like to check out, but not sure as a group which area we will mostly be in.

Trying to get an idea of what we can do with the rig and what we cant do with the groups.

Anybody that has gone on past runs want to share which places you have been to, and which places you would like to return to? Separate the big dawgs and the pack dawgs please.

Thanks!

Just chiming into gmanpaint's comment, but with my rig (pack dog) would fins and things be a good option and what are the odds one of the groups would be driving this trail?

I prefer the more difficult trails

Im gonna run with the pack dogs wherever they go for the most part. If i get the lift done and run my 33's i could probably run a few trails with the big dogs but i dont want to take the risk of breaking. Being this is my 1st trip to Moab, and my 1st trip more than 600 miles from home i am definitely going to be following people who have some experience in the area. Is anybody going to have a SWR meter and time/ability to help me tune my CB? I want to put my cobra 19 back in and get rid of the monster 29 that i have right now but i cant tune it myself.

Has anybody looked into which areas we will be generally be wheeling yet?

We have been going through Charles Wells guide and have some places we would like to check out, but not sure as a group which area we will mostly be in.

Trying to get an idea of what we can do with the rig and what we cant do with the groups.

Anybody that has gone on past runs want to share which places you have been to, and which places you would like to return to? Separate the big dawgs and the pack dawgs please.

Thanks!

Just chiming into gmanpaint's comment, but with my rig (pack dog) would fins and things be a good option and what are the odds one of the groups would be driving this trail?

I would love to help you out with the exact answer you are looking for, but you have to remember I'm the idiot that pushed a stocker with a locker through more of the trails in Moab than it should have ever been on. That being said, what type of trails are you looking to run? Senic, mild, fun, ect....

For a first timer to Moab with a mild rig (31's and working 4wd [locker not necessary but won't hurt]) my trails of choice would be:

Top of the World (challenging/senic)
Fins-n-Things (fun)
Dome Plateau (senic)
Gemini Bridges (quick fill in/senic)

For a little more challenging (minimum 31's and a locker, be prepared to get strapped, potential bumper and or body damage):
Hells Revenge (fun, lots of slick rock)
Posion Spider Mesa (fun, slick rock)
Golden Spike (fun, lots of slick rock, LONG)
Elephant Hill (fun, long day)

For the most challenging (35's, locked F&R, body damage likely, bring spare parts):
Area BFE (no slick rock, fun, lots of short trails, play ground)
Pritchett Cannyon (lots of slick rock, long)
Behind the Rocks (fun, several optional spots, can be long)

Im gonna run with the pack dogs wherever they go for the most part. If i get the lift done and run my 33's i could probably run a few trails with the big dogs but i dont want to take the risk of breaking. Being this is my 1st trip to Moab, and my 1st trip more than 600 miles from home i am definitely going to be following people who have some experience in the area. Is anybody going to have a SWR meter and time/ability to help me tune my CB? I want to put my cobra 19 back in and get rid of the monster 29 that i have right now but i cant tune it myself.

There is a shop directly across the street from the McDonalds in Moab that can tune your CB for you if no one else can.

I would love to help you out with the exact answer you are looking for, but you have to remember I'm the idiot that pushed a stocker with a locker through more of the trails in Moab than it should have ever been on. That being said, what type of trails are you looking to run? Senic, mild, fun, ect....

For a first timer to Moab with a mild rig (31's and working 4wd [locker not necessary but won't hurt]) my trails of choice would be:

Top of the World (challenging/senic)
Fins-n-Things (fun)
Dome Plateau (senic)
Gemini Bridges (quick fill in/senic)

For a little more challenging (minimum 31's and a locker, be prepared to get strapped, potential bumper and or body damage):
Hells Revenge (fun, lots of slick rock)
Posion Spider Mesa (fun, slick rock)
Golden Spike (fun, lots of slick rock, LONG)
Elephant Hill (fun, long day)

For the most challenging (35's, locked F&R, body damage likely, bring spare parts):
Area BFE (no slick rock, fun, lots of short trails, play ground)
Pritchett Cannyon (lots of slick rock, long)
Behind the Rocks (fun, several optional spots, can be long)

Mike you left out Steelbender... one of my favorites :)

Any ideas on a cabin/motel room to stay that will also have rig and trailer parking? Seems canyonlands is booked. :(

Any ideas on a cabin/motel room to stay that will also have rig and trailer parking? Seems canyonlands is booked. :(

All i can suggest is finding the Moab camping guide that was linked earlier in the thread. Most all of the campgrounds/RV parks listed there have cabins, so it is all about your personal preferences about location and ammenities. Canyonlands does still have tent sites, and i reserved mine today.

Red Rock Lodge said they have additional parking but they never called me back so we went with Kokopelli.

Wonder if the 4x4 shop would have extra parking or know where there might be some?

Thanks Mike. :thumbsup:

Def not wanting any body damage to the new rig. There is plenty to do out there that is scenic, fun, and doable. If there is a trail that were not wanting to do because of risk to body, we will just sit it out. No biggie.

Mike you left out Steelbender... one of my favorites :)

I actually left out a several great trails, Steel Bender, Metal Masher, Kane Creek and Cliffhanger just to name a few. In fact, I have yet to run a trail in Moab that wasn't worth running again or recomending to anyone else to try.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Arriving Moab Thursday, May 9th, Canyonlands, 2 for dinner.

Planning on running some of the more "mild-to-medium" trails as I'll be accompanied by the "better" (or at least "other") half. . . Willing to 'trail lead' or 'sweep' if or as required, been on most of these trails multiple times, no such thing as a "bad trail" in Moab.

60 days. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Back