Rockwells | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rockwells

Hello all,
Long time user and fan, but been a long time since ive been on. O did my SAS about 6-7 years ago and posted on this site. Ive been running it with no problems besides the normal breakage. Lately i have been itchin for a upgrade and came across some up grades. I havent been on for ever so forgive me if im in the wrong thread, but back in the day it was easy to navigate this site. But anyways i have started my rock well conversion. I have rebuilt both axles flipped the rear hubs, shaved the breaks, added pinion breaks, grizzly locked the front welded the rear. Bought hummer h1 double beadlocks with rockwell welded in inserts. Plan on running 47 ltbs. Im running the BTF single reverse triangulated converions with coils. So far here is what i got, i have alot of pics put on my phone so i have to send them on over.

Attachments

• 4 link rock.jpg
    4 link rock.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 2,375
  • front rockwell.jpg
    front rockwell.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 2,701
  • front on rocks.jpg
    front on rocks.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 3,051

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Obie im trying my best and i have had alot of influence from my wheeling crew, The Slick Rock Punks on my decisions i have made and three of them have rockwells, I also would like to thank you for your service i am a veteran also, i spent the morning buying presents for families that have a loved one on duty and cant make it home. :salute:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

well done old man!

I can't wait till I am in my new garage and I can start this process on my 1997 explorer.

I'm not going with rocks but for the most part it is the same drill in putting one together.

very good write up and I will be studying it a lot in the future too.

Jake is an amazing man when it comes to these strong boxes.

Thanks guys i have drove it tons of times, im not ready to wheel though because i want a cage first. If i roll over thats alot or weight pushing down on me. And now im thinking about getting coilovers for the front. So it may be back to the drawing board cut off the coil spring mounts and fourlink that rear also.

The good thing about unsprung weight is that it will help keep me right side up, but i want a cage, first cage wheel it for a bit then save up and start building again.

bump

ya need more than a bump to get this guy going again!

Hey! did you do the king coils?

where's the cage??

LOL rattle that cage see if he pops out of the wood work.

need a fix on my addiction man! help a poor guy who lost his machine shop.

I agree. Come out, come out where ever you are and give us an update already!!!

Sorry guys i have been way busy at my own shop i havent even had time to work on my junk. A little update the strong box broke, nothing big but had to tear the pig back out and send it to jake for a shift fork rebuild. i just got it back i have been working on a anti wrap bar as when i was doing a burn out the rig started hopping like crazy, yes i still need a cage and all my friends are ready for me to take it to moab, but im not, im in the stage of just when i first built my rig im staring all over on how my rig works and i dont want to change it. I also have a few other changes in the works, for one rear steer, i have a axle ready to buy from a friend, and front coil overs, i also have been in the works of upgrading to 47s when they are being made again and if not im going with 52s. Sorry for the delay but im back and im ready to atleast test this ***** besides snow banks and cars at my shop.

Sweet ! , glad to hear your back tuning on tha beast , I have been in and out of here for a while working on my Blaster Atv , and Trying to keep my navajo going for Daily use
haha .

awesome! A nice set of 52/53s will be awesome!

The only problem with 52s is the greater chance of breaking the stock shafts and i never thought i would have to upgrade a duece and a half. I have been talking to a buddy of mine he is on rocks with a 460 and 52s he was in ttc in 08 he thinks 47s should be good for me without breaking and having to upgrade to ouverson shafts, also the military 52-54s are on 20 inch rims and i spent all that money and time making my h1 rims so i would also have to poney up more dough for rims at with 47s i can get 16.5s and keep my rims.

My daughter loves it!!!

Attachments

• bay loves it.jpg
    bay loves it.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 677

The only problem with 52s is the greater chance of breaking the stock shafts and i never thought i would have to upgrade a duece and a half.

Haha yea this is true that is a pretty big tire but keeping the tires smaller would not be to bad of idea especially if the money to upgrade went to a bigger engine to turn those bigger tires. :D

doubler is back in everything is working great just got to change the shift detents on the 205 they are a little to hard with the cable shifters finishing up the traction bar and she is done, besides a cage.

Any chance of bringing this to our Moab run next year?? :D

Back