• Register Today It's free!

Message Center/Dash Lights Out

optimist

Reaction score
City, State
South Boston, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLS
Gremlins are at it. The message center is out, as well as the instrument illumination. I thought maybe the battery was marginal, since this is an 06 and had the original battery, and it _seemed_ to be having starting issues. So I replaced it and charged the new one fully, but no difference. All the other electronics _seem_ fine, but if the door is open or seatbelt off while running, those idiot lights flash briefly. I can't find a message center fuse at all - none listed in the book - I still don't know if the message center even has a fuse. But, I pulled and checked every single fuse I could find, under the hood and under the dash, just in case.

Anyone got any ideas?

I may have to stop bragging about the reliability of my Expl. 180K and I've had very little drama, except for the COPs and a rear bearing that went out(!). Still nothing like the money-sucking Range Rover I used to have.

Gremlins are at it. The message center is out, as well as the instrument illumination. I thought maybe the battery was marginal, since this is an 06 and had the original battery, and it _seemed_ to be having starting issues. So I replaced it and charged the new one fully, but no difference. All the other electronics _seem_ fine, but if the door is open or seatbelt off while running, those idiot lights flash briefly. I can't find a message center fuse at all - none listed in the book - I still don't know if the message center even has a fuse. But, I pulled and checked every single fuse I could find, under the hood and under the dash, just in case.

Anyone got any ideas?

I may have to stop bragging about the reliability of my Expl. 180K and I've had very little drama, except for the COPs and a rear bearing that went out(!). Still nothing like the money-sucking Range Rover I used to have.
Ever get this figured out ?

Pretty sure that there is a TSB for this problem and it requires a load resistor being added to a specific wiring harness.

Back