Instrument cluster problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument cluster problem

GXPWeasel

Reaction score
City, State
Topeka Kansas
Hi guys. New here, but not new to Automotive forums.

My friend has an '06 Explorer XLT, and the Trip Odometer (info center) quit working a couple weeks ago. He has tried looking for bad fuses, to no avail, and I have searched this forum for common problems for a couple hours, with no success.

Does anyone know what could cause this, and what could be the fix to it. He doesn't want to have to put a new instrument cluster in, but not sure where to start looking for the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys. New here, but not new to Automotive forums.

My friend has an '06 Explorer XLT, and the Trip Odometer (info center) quit working a couple weeks ago. He has tried looking for bad fuses, to no avail, and I have searched this forum for common problems for a couple hours, with no success.

Does anyone know what could cause this, and what could be the fix to it. He doesn't want to have to put a new instrument cluster in, but not sure where to start looking for the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Greg

Has he performed any work on the car that may have caused it to quit working? Fumbling with car audio stuff, lighting, etc?

If not, I'd probably say it's just a bad cluster. I'm not sure what would cause this, but this may not be something that's Explorer specific and I'd check other forums as well. I've never heard of just the info center not working.

No fumbling w/anything here, just quit working. It's funny b/c his Spedo still works, just the odometer, and info center don't light up anymore. He checked fuses, but nothing wrong. I am going to look it over, and check for any bad relays this weekend, and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the reply

No fumbling w/anything here, just quit working. It's funny b/c his Spedo still works, just the odometer, and info center don't light up anymore. He checked fuses, but nothing wrong. I am going to look it over, and check for any bad relays this weekend, and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the reply

Ever figure it out ?

Ever figure it out ?

Wow this is a thread from the past. CMEDROP do you have a problem with yours and are looking for help with it?

I believe that there was a TSB for the LCD information display on the 06's. Mine was replaced when it started showing dead pixles under warrantee and would occationally flicker off and then back on before it was replaced.

Wow this is a thread from the past. CMEDROP do you have a problem with yours and are looking for help with it?

Yeah.
My information center/speedo is not lighting up, and it has having problems starting.

I had the explorer parked for a week while I was in Cancun. Then I broke two of my rims on the highway coming home from the airport. So the vehicle has been sitting for three more weeks at the tire shop waiting on new rims to arrive. Went and picked it up yesterday and hesitated starting up and the information center/speed did not light up. I ended up checking my battery and it was extremely low, so I am charging it right now.

I believe that there was a TSB for the LCD information display on the 06's. Mine was replaced when it started showing dead pixles under warrantee and would occationally flicker off and then back on before it was replaced.
If I turn the key to the on position only, it displays perfectly.
But if a fully charged battery doesn't cure my problem, I will look into this.

Charged battery back up to full. Problem solved.

Glad to hear that it was only the battery. Keep an eye on the battery because once an older battery gets drained they typically don't hold as much of a charge anymore.

Back