Buying Advice Explorer 2007 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying Advice Explorer 2007 Limited

hodari

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2007
I just saw a 2007 Explorer Limited with 120,000 Kilometers on it. Over all the car is in very very good shape. However, the rear tires are brand new, and I am worried. Why would the rear tires be changed? Is it because it was towing a lot of heavy stuff or there is a problem with the rear diff? I do not know much about ford explorer. The dealer is asking for 13KC$ and we managed to agree to 11.5KC$ Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hodari -

like with any used car, it's a hit or miss. Since it's a Limited, I assume it's v8. Since it's 2007 model, you may want to ask the dealer to replace the sparkplugs, as there are some issues with replacing them. I am not sure about the price as I do not know about C$ conversion. I have 2006 v8 with 152k miles and I am happy with it. The first set of tires lasted just 41k miles. Is the receiver in the back rusty and scratched up ? That would indicate it towed, but I aslo tow occasionaly or plow and the truck is still fine.

Hodari -

like with any used car, it's a hit or miss. Since it's a Limited, I assume it's v8. Since it's 2007 model, you may want to ask the dealer to replace the sparkplugs, as there are some issues with replacing them. I am not sure about the price as I do not know about C$ conversion. I have 2006 v8 with 152k miles and I am happy with it. The first set of tires lasted just 41k miles. Is the receiver in the back rusty and scratched up ? That would indicate it towed, but I aslo tow occasionaly or plow and the truck is still fine.
$dollar is pretty much on par right now

Thank you for the feedback. Yes the receiver in the back is rusty. I spoke to a few people who are in the american car business they said the price is very good. Whilst I was working abroad, I did buy a 2006 brand new and used it until 160,000 Km and sold it and I had no problems with it. I loved the handling and comfort. I think I will take a chance and buy it. Is it worth spending the 100$ and get Ford Dealership to examine it?

um, most likely not bu tmaybe the last owner liked doing burnouts... i know a coupel peopel around here that pretty much do burnouts with their crappy old cars at every chance... but probably not. just a possibility to think about, maybe they replaced the front tires before (fronts usually wear down first) and then a few thousand miles later they replaced the back ones as well..

I just saw a 2007 Explorer Limited with 120,000 Kilometers on it. Over all the car is in very very good shape. However, the rear tires are brand new, and I am worried. Why would the rear tires be changed? Is it because it was towing a lot of heavy stuff or there is a problem with the rear diff? I do not know much about ford explorer. The dealer is asking for 13KC$ and we managed to agree to 11.5KC$ Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Price seems very good for the mileage. V-6 or V-8 motor?

Since you have ageed on a price, what was your overall opinion when you test drove it?

Any evidence of body damage/repairs? They must make full disclosure of such.

Is it a made for Canada vehicle? (Transport Canada emblem "Maple Leaf" on door vin sticker)

If it is a used car dealer, pay to have a ford dealer do an inspect including a print out of any warranty claims and maintenance records.

Bill - It is a V8 Limited Edition. The car was absolutely smooth. The gears engaged very smoothly - I did not notice any jerks. I drove it on a steep hill and pull my feet off the gas, let it slow down and then press hard on the floor.. I could see smoke at the back but NOT BLUE smoke - it was clear smoke. I checked the exhaust tip, there was no evidence of black carbon.

There is no evidence of body damage or rust. I got a car fax report and it shows no claims. I went to Ministry of Transportation and bought the used vehicle package for 20$ to see how many owners - there were two owners as the dealer told me. No Liens.

The car is made for Canadian Market - first registered in 2007 and then changed hands at 62,000 KM.

I will take your advice and get the car checked out by Ford and get the full report.

Thanks for your input.

Just a reminder;
Have them replacethe sparkplugs .....

Some things you should be aware of:

Spark plugs - The 2 pc Ford plugs can be difficult to remove and break off in the head. There is a TSB for the removal/replacement and if followed, should not be a problem. If you have any mechanical ability, then you CAN do this with proper tools. Or may have been done recently, but be aware that this should become a regular maintenance job.

6 sd trans - Some experience a "Bump shift" when slowing down to a stop. Truck can slam into first gear when the vehicle is at a full stop and lurch ahead. TSB to program trans. Doesn't sound like a problem for you or may have been done. Ford can verify with OASIS report.

Some have experienced leaking rads. I have not as yet.

Some experience exhaust manifild leak on cold start up. Apparently caused by warped manifolds and or broken manifold studs. This can be a very expensive repair. I have not experienced this (yet).

3rd seat electric motor failure. Check operation up/down of both seats. Motors are approx 200-250 USD. I have a left side motor to replace soon.

Brakes, hubs, shocks/struts, etc are normal service items. Once again, can be done by any owner with mech ability and the proper tools.

Althought maintenance can be costly,IMHO these are a very good SUV. Comfort, size and performance. Not a gas miser by any means but a very sweet combo with the 3 valve, 6 spd and 355 gear. Very difficult to keep the boot out of it on the on ramps. Puts a smile on my face every time.

I really enjoy my 4th gen. Best of luck to you on your purchase.

Bill

6 sd trans - Some experience a "Bump shift" when slowing down to a stop. Truck can slam into first gear when the vehicle is at a full stop and lurch ahead. TSB to program trans. Doesn't sound like a problem for you or may have been done. Ford can verify with OASIS report.

I thought this was only an issue with 2006 models?

TSB is for 2006-2008 model years.

Bill - thanks for the input, much appreciated. I spoke to a ford dealership which is located nearby the dealer that I am picking up the truck from and they said they could not tell me what service has been done on the car. There is a no shared data across dealership so I cannot ascertain if the plugs have been changed or not. I have read quite a bit about it and I was planning to give it a short when the weather gets better.

So its a done deal? If so, congrats on your purchase.

Lots of info that you can search for on this site, also very knowledgeable and helpfull people to guide you when needed. (like Explorer PL)

I hear you on the warm weather. Sunshine, short sleeves, cold beer and sunburns.

Bill - you are reminding of my days in Saudi Arabia - sand dunning! with my Explorer 2006 whilst every one had either a Jeep or Land cruiser... (NO beer). The explorer never let me down.. Amazing truck! Just got a digital copy of the Ford Technical Service Manual - I think I will need it to service the truck myself. In Saudi the labour cost was very cheap so I never bothered to do any service..I always let Ford handle it. Have not got the truck yet. I am expecting to get it on Monday. They gave me a $850 dollar for my camry 1998 350K Km on it as trade in.

Q. Do I need to change the transmission fluid - I am reading conflicting info on the forum

Bill - you are reminding of my days in Saudi Arabia - sand dunning! with my Explorer 2006 whilst every one had either a Jeep or Land cruiser... (NO beer). The explorer never let me down.. Amazing truck! Just got a digital copy of the Ford Technical Service Manual - I think I will need it to service the truck myself. In Saudi the labour cost was very cheap so I never bothered to do any service..I always let Ford handle it. Have not got the truck yet. I am expecting to get it on Monday...

Hi hodari,

Did you end up bringing that Explorer home? Don't forget that you can download a free copy of your Owner's Manual here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePageVehicleLookup&BackToLogin=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&ord=1729184

Crystal

Yes i did - Thank you. In discussion with Ford Dealership for service at 120K Km.

Back