• Register Today It's free!

Ford to build GT40!!

Michigander

Reaction score
City, State
Flint, Midland, Ann Arbor, Alpena; all in Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Contour SVT
It was just announced at work at 30 min ago!!

Ford now has its own Viper and vette killer!!

L_Ford_GT408.JPG

L_Ford_GT4013.JPG

L_Ford_GT40engine.JPG

The GT40 concept is powered by a supercharged and intercooled 5.4-liter 32-valve V8, mated to a 6-speed manual transmission. The engine produces 500 horsepower and more than 500 lb-ft of torque.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, but a viper and a vette are both a lot more attractive than that thing. not to mention a vette is gonna be a helluva lot cheaper, and a viper probably will be too.

oh well, its still kinda cool, i guess :p its still better than another focus ZX* ;)

I thought they already anounced that they were not? Oh well...if they do...it's about time something like that came along. Do you know if they plan on using the mentioned engine.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

When I first saw the pics of the new GT 40 on BON, I was like, "No way Ford will build that thing. It's too cool. DCX is the only company that builds image cars anymore."

I really hope they actually do it. Seeing the "Powered by Ford" logo on the valve (cam?) covers made me :bounce: You other old-car guys know what I'm talking about :D

Man, between the GT 40, the '03 Cobra (390hp s/c 4V 4.6L), the Marauder, and the next generation Mustang, could this be the beginning of another Ford Total Performance era? God, I hope so!!!

I think ford is finally coming back with some better performance. But....the corvette C6 will be one to compete with and so will the new Viper.

Originally posted by tbomb
yeah, but a viper and a vette are both a lot more attractive than that thing.

You gotta be kidding!!!!;) That thing is gorgeous!!!! Personally I think it looks a lot better than the Vette or the Viper .

yeah...and look at the interior.

L_Ford_GT40dash2.JPG

Originally posted by SSIKORA
I thought they already anounced that they were not? Oh well...if they do...it's about time something like that came along. Do you know if they plan on using the mentioned engine.

The finals haven't been relaeased, but I'de assume that is the engine they would use.

Another key step in the "revitilization plan" is " the introduction of 20 new or freshened products annually between now and mid-decade." * So I'de keep your eye out for a few other suprises from Ford in the near future.

*quote taken from the internally distributed "Ford World" newsletter.

Being in the automotive business...I already know a few.

i started a thread when it the pics first came out, i absolutely love that thing. and it will smoke the viper and the vette. i believe the quote was "if it were to come up beside a viper at a stoplight, it will need to blow its doors off" -Coletti

well thats not what he really said, but its close. either way if they get close to the target weight it will have nothing to worry about that isn't a big green ugly bat looking thing (lamborghini murcielago) or a gt2 porsche. that thing will fly, besides imagine the gains you would get from any mods done to one of those. anyone know how many of them they will build?

also has anyone seen the new mg zt xpower? it is featured in automobile this month and has a 4.6 supercharged dohc ford mill making 500 hp and unspecified torque. it does zero to sixty in less than 5 and goes 175. i think that thing is righteous as well.

also has anyone seen the new mg zt xpower? it is featured in automobile this month and has a 4.6 supercharged dohc ford mill making 500 hp and unspecified torque. it does zero to sixty in less than 5 and goes 175. i think that thing is righteous as well. [/B]

500 hp and just under 5 secs 0 to 60??? Not very impressive.

ok ...now i see that that number is actuall 4.5

and here's a picture

ztxpower500a.jpg

I like this.........finally enthusiast vehicles being produced by Ford, .can anyone say "Bronco"?

Originally posted by JDraper

You gotta be kidding!!!!;) That thing is gorgeous!!!! Personally I think it looks a lot better than the Vette or the Viper .

hehe. sorry guys, i just dont like it, i dont care how fast it is; but dont worry, ford will probably still build it, in spite of me ;)

Originally posted by tbomb

hehe. sorry guys, i just dont like it, i dont care how fast it is; but dont worry, ford will probably still build it, in spite of me ;)

In any case, this isn't a car that is supposed to be attractive to everybody.... it isn't another Ford Tuarus "family sedan".

Boy that GT40 is Sweet, I liked it the first time I saw it.. I'd like to see it out within the next year or so, it makes my blue blood start to flow again .. but were talkin about FMCO, so in 5-8 years when it's done it's final testing it will go into production and be released to the public... to bad Ch*vy and Do*ge will be years ahead of them.. FMCO would be doing so much better if they could go from concept to production in under 10-12 mo.. just my .02

well, im definitely a sports car/exotic car fan, but i just dont like the styling, no biggie; but then again, i dont like the new viper either, heh.

as far as enthusiasts vehicles go, im still waiting on the Tremor from back in 96 or so ;)

i hate for this thread to get too far off topic, cuz i really wanna see if theyre gonna build this thing, sorry for the diversion guys.

It looks exactly like a GT-40 that I saw about 5 years ago in a Ford Trader magazine, only that one was red. It was powered by a 289, I believe, though it's been a while. I remember it having a price tag of 40k, and I have wondered about it ever since.

i hope they change the look of the interior before production. other than that, i like it

Everyone take a close look at the first photo at the top of this thread - - doesn't that look like Bill Gates behind the steering wheel ???

Might as well be, 'cause none of us are going to be able to afford this thing. . .

Like FoMoCo would ever put it into production anyway. . .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not bad. Not too far off from the original back in the 60's, believe it was called one of the most beautiful factory built sports cars ever(of course strictly for racing, less stylish). I love the look in general. Get rid of the yellow paint, the white letter tires and the neon silver wheels and it might look a whole lot better.

Back