SAS "Betsy" 1-ton | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS "Betsy" 1-ton

Well, im usually not one for teasing, but i figured ill go ahead and do a build thread for "Betsy" i was going to wait till i was done, but i have nothing better to do right now so lets go back a few months.. in late febuary i started a new build on my truck. plan was to get her to SMORR 2012! that recently fell through because i found out i cant get the custom driveshafts in time.. little did i know at that time that right now its completely off the table.. im 23 and work full-time, own a small business, and right now with my pop back in the hospital for months again( heart problems)... betsy is going slow and there is no money to get the brake lines, hydraulic lines, and driveshafts made considering im working almost 100 hours a week and trying to pay for 2 houses and run my business, and my dads business, all while being at the hospital as much as possible...
so here goes. shes very close to completion but at this point i dont know when that is...
the plan: Build a wicked ass Ranger, Duh!
the parts: about 12k worth
labor: i own a metal fab business... its all FREE!

Started with these from a 2007 F-350 (dana 60 & sterling 10.5)
20120211_132218.jpg

20120211_132202.jpg

Then i tore her apart!
20120209_201831.jpg

Next i bought about 300 feet of metal and started the body mods
20120317_162611.jpg

20120311_205857.jpg

20120311_205857.jpg

20120310_201558.jpg

20120314_210928.jpg

20120413_212827.jpg

Threw on some Projector Halo 4300K H.I.D headlights with black housings
20120310_201544.jpg

Modified and built a gauge pod for an oil pressure and water temp gauge set
20120314_211333.jpg

Then i trussed the rear axle and started building a double triangulated 4 link
20120322_201120.jpg

so i decided to experiment with some 79' f150 coil springs with an internal shock mount design
20120408_152405.jpg

20120408_152359.jpg

20120408_200704.jpg

then i modified a 22 gallon fuel cell with a piece of 2" delran milled down to fit the factory fuel sending unit
20120317_164908.jpg

and for the teaser!!!!
20120324_105926.jpg

so thats where im at, still need to do front suspension, stuff the axles, finish out the flatbed with diamond plate, add all the accessories and batteries, and get the little things made...
dont know how long it will be but ill try to keep updating progress.
for unseen details, ill be runing: 5:38 gears, front locker, rear detroit locker, 40x13.5x17 rubbers(the damn 44" was backordered) with fuel hostage wheels, 3 batteries, air system, shovel,axe, fire extinguishers, 30 off road lights, land anchor, dual winches, cb, and way to much otheres to list...
hope yall like.
max

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perfect business name!!

Now i may have missed it, but is your truck street legal in TX?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Technically... yes, truckwise, it is street legal, headlight/ taillight laws, hieght laws, and everything is good.. its registered and has a "legal" inspection...:D
And i have it insured for 30k so if i destroy it i can build another one..

i get pulled over often, but when i get pulled over its always "your not in trouble, im just letting you know_____, by the way, nice truck, can i check it out?"
its usually for dumb stuff, no mud flaps, no offroad light covers, and crap like that, but i havent been ticketed...

i actually got a call saturday night to come pull someone out that buried their truck, there was a cop sitting at the entrance that waved me to stop, i told him i was only there because i got a call to come help someone get unstuck(i didnt know the person), we talked for a bit and i asked if i could go get them, he said "sure, just dont take off and come right back" i said ok and went and got them out, when we got back to the road, he pulled them over for tresspasing and waved me on.

i actually got a call saturday night to come pull someone out that buried their truck, there was a cop sitting at the entrance that waved me to stop, i told him i was only there because i got a call to come help someone get unstuck(i didnt know the person), we talked for a bit and i asked if i could go get them, he said "sure, just dont take off and come right back" i said ok and went and got them out, when we got back to the road, he pulled them over for tresspasing and waved me on.

Ok this just made my day lmao!! Definitely a story i will pass along to my friends lol. That is some funny shiz! :D

i was lmao about it, he just smiled and waved me on.. i guess i was doing my public service act of the night because there was no way he was getting back there in his tahoe.. and i made $25 bucks to go offroading...

Man your rig looks good! I'm still waiting in steering parts to come in. Soon I'll be ably to play too.

good stuff man, just keep on and dont let up or you'll find yourself like i did not touching it for months...

Unfortunately I never did find the fuel wheels for cheap so I went with plain Soft 8s. I miss having a truck though.

damn i just got a chance to see your build and I am really impressed. Looks really good, and your fab work looks clean

This is a bookmark :thumbsup:

I just read through this and wow nice build i like it i like what you did but you know the net thing is a V8 right :bounce: it awesome that its street legal to :usa: got any more updates? :popcorn:

Back