• Register Today It's free!

Car seats question

RafCon

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I've searched high and low and am now coming to the greater community with my question. New 2013 Limited owner and new to this forum (been browsing a lot as I did my research.) We just had our third child (two weeks ago) and now, thanks to California and other regulations, I'm looking at years and years of three car seats in my vehicle. Has anyone figured out how to put all three in the second row? I've been playing with multiple combinations but have only been successful by putting the 4 yr old and 2 yr old in the third row (one in a Recaro convertible, the other in a Graco booster) and leaving the rear right passenger seat free to flip up and forward to get them back there. The new baby in a rear facing Peg Perego sits behind me, the driver.

I'd prefer to find a way to fit all three in the second row so I can have more storage by folding the third row, even if that means buying three new car seats! (This is a long term solution so I'm willing to try anything!) I wanted to use the third row when I absolutely need two extra seats but haven't found a way to put all three in row two (I have the bench seat if you haven't figured that out yet.)

Ay ideas? Pictures of having accomplished this marvelous feat? Recommendations on thinner car seats that fit better side by side taking into account their ages?? All ideas welcome!

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a single retired guy with 2 dogs, I'm afraid all I can offer is my congratulations on your 3rd child.:):thumbsup:

Peter

The way you have it setup is pretty much the only way to do it. In your situation, I would have gone bucket seats with no middle console for ease of getting to the 3rd row.

One suggestion is to have the smallest and most fragile in the 2nd row on the passenger side, not the driver. I have always felt the smallest should be on the opposite side of oncoming traffic. Just a personal preference and recommendation.

Thanks Peter! Looking forward to the retirement part...

Blwnsmoke, I thought of that as well but then I'd be lifting (or my wife would be lifting) the 60 portion of the 60/40 bench. We went with the bench because we needed the extra two seats for in laws as we have found we drive them around on family trips. I will try and configure that row as suggested and see if she can still lift it to get the kids in the back.

Anyone else accomplished this feat with different seats?

The way you have it setup is pretty much the only way to do it. In your situation, I would have gone bucket seats with no middle console for ease of getting to the 3rd row.

One suggestion is to have the smallest and most fragile in the 2nd row on the passenger side, not the driver. I have always felt the smallest should be on the opposite side of oncoming traffic. Just a personal preference and recommendation.

I thought this too but NHTSA data shows the centre position of the 2nd row is the safest for a child because it is the center of the vehicle and offers the most protection from side impact in either direction.

Having to install 3 seats is a whole other issue. My youngest takes the 3rd row because they are the most nimble getting back there, especially with a 2nd row console. Belts back there work with seat too.

I know several here have been frustrated with the inflatable seats integrating with some child seats but they are so much safer for older children (not infants obviously) then the regular seats belts. Remember its the inertia of the body, head, and organs in an impact that causes the life threatening injuries.

If the inflated belt can hold the child's head up and back, potential injury is reduced significantly.

I thought this too but NHTSA data shows the centre position of the 2nd row is the safest for a child because it is the center of the vehicle and offers the most protection from side impact in either direction.

Having to install 3 seats is a whole other issue. My youngest takes the 3rd row because they are the most nimble getting back there, especially with a 2nd row console. Belts back there work with seat too.

I know several here have been frustrated with the inflatable seats integrating with some child seats but they are so much safer for older children (not infants obviously) then the regular seats belts. Remember its the inertia of the body, head, and organs in an impact that causes the life threatening injuries.

If the inflated belt can hold the child's head up and back, potential injury is reduced significantly.

You are right.. my mind was stuck on the car seats using the outer 2 seats with the middle empty. Plus I was thinking there is no way to use the latch system twice on the same bracket but reread the OP. I found if using the middle seat, it's next to impossible to get the 40 to flip forward... depends on the size of your car seat.

I know with our Ex, our car seat is too big to sit in the middle (inflatable belts) so our little one sits on the passenger side. PITA to walk around every single time but well worth the safety of our child.

To the OP, first, congratulations on your 3rd!! 2nd, the 60 really isn't any harder then the 40 to fold. You life the same handle/mechanism and both seats are on hinges.. I really don't think your wife should have any more of an issue with the 60 then 40. Plus, it will give her that much more room to climb to the 3rd row if needed.

Only car seat that you might have a chance getting all 3 in the second row...

http://us.diono.com/en/car-seats/radian-rxt

Buy them from amazon - free 90day return shipping on all baby stuff if they don't fit.

BTW - Congrats on the 3rd. I just had my first and I have spent hours and hours researching car seats. I was really disappointed with the way rear-facing car seats fit in the explorer, i'm 6'2" and there is no way I would ever be able to have a RF car seat behind the driver. I think Ford sacrificed to much leg room in the 2nd row to make room for the 3rd row.

I think the Diono Radian is the only seat that you might find success with. Don't forget the middle position of the explorer does not have LATCH - so you will be forced to install the middle seat with the belt.

I've searched high and low and am now coming to the greater community with my question. New 2013 Limited owner and new to this forum (been browsing a lot as I did my research.) We just had our third child (two weeks ago) and now, thanks to California and other regulations, I'm looking at years and years of three car seats in my vehicle...Ay ideas? Pictures of having accomplished this marvelous feat? Recommendations on thinner car seats that fit better side by side taking into account their ages?? All ideas welcome!

Thanks!!

Hi RafCon,

Congratulations on your newest addition! I recommend checking out the Child Safety section starting on page 31 of the 4th Printing of your Owner's Manual. You can see the LATCH locations in the 2013 Explorer for ideas on how to arrange your car seats. You can download a free copy of your Owner's Manual here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

Crystal

Go to babies r us with a measuring tape. My wife works at one, they will help. She has helped customers test fit the floor models to see what will work.

In my offroad truck I made the safety tabs to hook the car seats to as well. I don't know the exact placement in your model, but putting your own might arrange the seat better.

Middle is the safest for children. Unfortunately it doesn't work in the Ex as there are no Latch mounts and it's too narrow for a car seat anyway.

May not work for you now but I have two 5yos and a 2 yo. Once the second one is in a booster this will work:

Even though the middle seat doesn't have its own latches, we put the car seat in the middle and use the latches for the side seats. They are spaced the same distance apart so we just utilize them. The 5yos are in boosters so don't require the use of the latch. The twins go on either side.

We only do this when we want more cargo space in the back. Normally the twins are in the 3rd row with my 2yo behind the driver. 2 reasons he's behind the driver:

1. The girls must get in the vehicle on the passenger side when picking up from school to keep the kids from running into the path of vehicles by going around to the driver side.

2. The car seat on the 40 side of the split makes it difficult to lift the seat up and down. This is the same reason we don't have the 2yo in the middle all the time. The seat will overhang the split in either the middle or the smaller side.

Rafcon, so your issue is that you need a Booster for the 4 year old (which needs access to the factory seat belt), A convertible forward facing for the 2 year old (which uses the LATCH system) and an infant seat (where ever it will fit), right? Do you have inflatables or regular seat belts?

I'd try the infant in the middle, rear facing of course. Then the two others, forward facing on the outsides. With the two outside seats against the seat backs, it might give enough room to squeeze in the infant seat in the middle as the bulk of the seat/base sits over the foot well. Try the Graco Snugride30 for the infant in the middle and see if the two others you currently have fit.

With the Snugride 30 in the middle, I found that it would flip up and needed a tether. I simply attached a tether around the front of the base and underneath the middle seat bracket. I used 2000 lb breaking strength climbing straps which were probably overkill. Since your going to have to use the seat belt for anchorage, and not the LATCH, you'll need that tether to make it rock solid.

When I was car shopping, I test fitted a Britax convertible, forward facing behind the driver, the snug ride30 in the middle rear facing and had enough room for my wife to sit in the 2nd row. HOWEVER!!!! When I test fitted I used the inner left side LATCH anchor for both the convertible and the snugride30. THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED!!! I did not know that at the time when I was test fitting. I have the inflatables and this was the only way I could get two seats to fit. The ability to place 3 seats in the middle, or 3 people for that matter, is severely hampered by the ridgidity of the inflatable buckle.

If you have the inflatables, you're X#%#@' ed

Congrats on the new baby!!!

I also noticed when the infant carrier is in the middle of the second row, the base of the carrier is on top of the driver's side seatbelt latch, due to the positioning of the latch being so far inboard.

Yes, when I give 4 people a ride, they pull straws so see who has to sign a waiver that expressly states they are willingly riding in my vehicle and not covered by a working seat belt. My 72 year old dad hates signing it!

Yes when your taking kids to sporting or school events and you inadvertently always end up with a friend or two it would be nice to have that extra seat. Thats one thing I didnt think about when I bought 2nd row buckets.

But then I guess you cant choose seating based on the odd extra passenger scenario.

I agree with PP that your best bet is with the Diono Radian. I know you can fit three of them across in small cars, so I'm sure they would fit in your explorer. It's just a matter of how soon your baby can use a convertible carseat and whether there's a booster equivalent for your 4.5 y/o.

I have the inflatables and this was the only way I could get two seats to fit. The ability to place 3 seats in the middle, or 3 people for that matter, is severely hampered by the ridgidity of the inflatable buckle.

If you have the inflatables, you're X#%#@' ed

Please expand on the "rigidity of the inflatable buckle"?
I'm looking at my best setup for 35 lb 5 year old in a Britax 85 and a 5 week old in a maxi cosi rear facing seat.

I would prefer 2nd row bench over captain seats, possibly using middle seat belt to hold the rear facing seat and the straps to hold the convertible seat. This would hopefully let me fold down one side to access rear seats.

Eventually I would like my 5 year old to start using the seat belt instead of the 2 harnesses but now i'm not sure if i should get the inflatables or not?

DSC_0266.jpg

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0269.jpg

As you can see from the photos, the receptacle portion of the seat belt is fixed and rigid. I believe it is that way because air is forced from underneath the seat to inflate the belts. It does not flop around like the non inflatables giving you an extra 5 inches of play. Because of that, any person or large baby seat in the middle position covers up the buckles for the two outside seats. If you place a car seat in the middle you have to move it as far left as possible to leave the right passenger buckle exposed, that means no one can use the left side seat belt.

In order to use two car seats you must place them in the two outside positions, OR one in the middle shoved as far left as possible, and the other on the right. There is no way to have two car seats in the middle row and be able to access the third row.

I'm 5'10 and 180 lbs. Car seat next to me is not installed. If it were, I would not be able to sit where I am in the photo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for the info gpzrider. I wanted to avoid the captain chairs since i prefer the option of having an extra seat but it seems like the middle seat is not very usable. I guess I can place the rear facing seat on passenger side since they are simple to remove and then slide that seat forward to access third row.

Back