• Register Today It's free!

Please Help! Starter problem

Sully1

Reaction score
City, State
Petoskey, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0
Ok i just finished up a trans swap about 3 days ago. i had to buy a new started because the old one was ruined. once i had put it in it wouldnt do anything at all when i turned the key, and after messing with the shift cable a bit it would start fine ( which means it was the neutral safety switch im guessing ). tonight i put the exhaust piece back in that i had to cut out to put the trans in and took the starter off but left the wiring on it so i could move it out of the way. I put it back on and now it is doing the same thing it was before when it wouldnt start. ive tried playing with the shift cable again, cleaned all the connections, and whacked the dang thing a couple times and nothing. also the theft light flashes rapidly when i try to start. what do i have to do?!?!?!?!?!? :frustrate :fire:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have any ideas i could try? the battery is fully charged, i have taken the starter off and used wire directly to the battery and it does work, but it still wont start. this is day 2 and i really need to get my explorer running again! :help:

the theft light blinks rapidly when i turn the key and the starter does not make any noise at all and it doesnt even try to start. anybody???

ok after hours of trying everything and hours of reading i went out and looked to see what "code" my theft light was flashing after it stops flashing rapidly. it flashes in a 1:1 pattern but all the patterns ive found are 1:3, 1:4, 1:5, and 1:6. so does anyone know what that means??? if anybody knows anything please tell me i need to get my explorer running

Just as a closing update, i took it in to have it fixed at the dealership, and after 4 days and one heck of a headache for a technician, they figured out the problem. Turns out the idiots at the part store I bought the starter from had reversed the solenoid somehow. And that caused a pretty long chain of things to quit working, so for $265 i have a working explorer again. Lets just say I won't be going back to that part store again.

Back