• Register Today It's free!

2004 4.0 Engine swap

Joscibo

Reaction score
City, State
Central Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
Buying a 2004 with a bad 4.0 engine. Will a 2003 4.0 "E" vin work when making the swap or do I need to find a 2004 engine? I was told the intake needs to be swapped out to complete the swap? I'm also findind the people you are buying the engine from are not very helpful in giving that kind of information out. I am finding that they steer you into an engine claiming shortage and trying to get max $$$ out their used engines. I struggle with paying 15-$1800 for 100,000-150,000 mile engine. I found the 03 in a small local yard with 139,000 miles for $600 that was side swiped hard in the front passenger fender pushing the nose over hard. Is there anything I should look for in this swap with the 03 engine? Thank you for your advise in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had similar problems finding and engine for my 2003. Apparently a lot of them hit the 150-170,000 and died. You could get a rebuilt for a bit more than what you are being quoted for a high mileage used engine. I had to strip the one I got down to the long block and switch over all the top end including the thermostat housing. If I were to do it again I would go with a much newer Mustang engine and change over the same parts onto an engine that has improved timing components and far fewer miles. Do a search and you should find a few threads on such a swap here.

I have a "K" in the eighth digit. I am thinking that $600 for an engine with 139,000 isn't all that bad. I know there are mustang engines that are out there but by the time I have it shipped here depending on the source it's 1,000-$1500. I will check car-part out but from what I have seen they all want top dollar for 100,000- 150,000 mile engine.

If you change over your fuel rails and injectors you should be fine with the E engine.

I looked on Car-part and in 2004 it is a 3.8 that is in the Mustang and the 2005 is the 4.0 engine for possible long block donor. What years am I looking for?

i posted many times about any 4.0 sohc block will work, I was able to get an engine out of an 2010 ranger with 1800 miles on it for 1200 delivered to my house. bought it on ebay.

i posted many times about any 4.0 sohc block will work, I was able to get an engine out of an 2010 ranger with 1800 miles on it for 1200 delivered to my house. bought it on ebay.

Why when you seaarch through Car-Part do they put in the selection the Exception of the SportTrac Engine? I would think that it is subject to long block and its componant change over? I have located a 2007 4.0 Mustang engine with 27K on it. It ships for $179 and can buy for $989 it has 7 people watching it. I havent secured my vehicle yet otherwise I would be all over buying it now! Are there any snags in changing the long block over like oil pan and pick up? I will check out the previous posts to learn more about this. Seems that for a bit more cash I get a lot more engine life!

minor differences

There are some minor differences in the Mustang engine. The Explorer has a crankcase breather but the Mustang does not. The fuel injector spacers are different.

For what Mustang parts can be used see post #144 of this thread:Engine swap 98 sohc with 05 Mustang motor

I swapped an 06 mustang 4.0 into my 03 explorer.

Swap the valve covers, no need to worry about the breather plug. That was only for the older explorers.

Oil pan,dipstick and oil filter mount are the same.

I used explorer plugs and wires, flex plate, intake and exhaust manifolds, thermostat housing and all accessories.

I did use new explorer fuel injector spacers. The Mustang engine didn't have them and the old ones were cracked.

I used the mustang balancer with the explorer crank positioning sensor. Mustang engine was missing the sensor.

Btw, I paid $550 for a 35k longblock a couple months ago. They are out there just keep looking.

I've seen many times that "any SOHC 4.0 will work" but I'm never 100% comfortable with that statement. I guess you just need to trust the few people that claim success stories with these swaps. In my area I can find 50k motors for $1600-2200 if I search 2006+ Explorers. That sounds much more worthy of the $$ to me. Good luck!

There are some minor differences in the Mustang engine. The Explorer has a crankcase breather but the Mustang does not. The fuel injector spacers are different.

For what Mustang parts can be used see post #144 of this thread:Engine swap 98 sohc with 05 Mustang motor

If I swap out the intake all the injectors and fuel rail swap with it. For the 2004 Explorer does it have a crankcase breather or is it new enough not to worry about?
I just found a 2007 Mustang engine with 41K on it for $700 and is a 3 hour drive to go get it. Tuesday I buy the rig and Wednesday I will pick up the engine if it looks straight forward switching.

crankcase breather?

If I swap out the intake all the injectors and fuel rail swap with it. For the 2004 Explorer does it have a crankcase breather or is it new enough not to worry about? . . .

I don't know if your 2004 has a crankcase breather. If it doesn't then you won't have to worry about it using the 2007 Mustang engine. If it does, you can just pop the plug on the Mustang and install your 2004 Explorer breather. It's just a minor issue. Good luck with the swap!

I don't know if your 2004 has a crankcase breather. If it doesn't then you won't have to worry about it using the 2007 Mustang engine. If it does, you can just pop the plug on the Mustang and install your 2004 Explorer breather. It's just a minor issue. Good luck with the swap!

Looking at a 41,000 mile engine on Car-part and a 52,000 miler as well. I found that the oil pan on the 41K is cracked as well as timing cover and no valve covers and they want $700 + $100 for shipping. It's been sitting since May of 2011 seems a bit of a risk?
The 52K motor is $800 and will cost me $110 to ship it. I am more comfortable with this motor due to the other being damaged and sitting so long!

Bought the 2008 Mustang engine today with 52800 miles. I hope there aren't any snags with putting this thing in! $890 delivered to my front door!!

just make sure when you buy spark plugs, buy the plugs for an 2008,

Why is that? Threads? Heat range? Any other concerns to it? I feel it should be pretty straight forward.

Curious to know why also. I did a lot of reading when I did my swap and info on site led me to install the Explorer plugs since the Explorer ecu would be firing the plugs. The coils are the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The engine is almost ready to come out. I should have it out by Monday night with the Mustang engine arriving Tuesday or Wednesday. I hope to have it up and running by the following week I guess it depends on how much spare time I have after work. I'm looking forward to firing it up I hope it runs well it has a nice clean interior so hopefully she was well taken care of from maintenance standpoint.

Back