Moab 2013 - May 10-12 | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2013 - May 10-12

Which weekend is best? (May 10-12 is best for me)

• Weekend of May 10-12

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Weekend of May 17-20

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
I'm camping out at AreaBFE, unless someone wants to split a tent site at Canyonlands. 1 for dinner. Plan to arrive mid day on the 9th.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It never fails, plan a big trip and the explorer throws a fit and breaks something. My rack developed a leak sometime in the last 2-300 miles :( Hopefully replacing it doesnt turn into a trip to the frame shop after tweaking the crossmember last year at Smorr.

Arriving May 9th, 2 for dinner (leaving sometime on the 12th)

It never fails, plan a big trip and the explorer throws a fit and breaks something. My rack developed a leak sometime in the last 2-300 miles :( Hopefully replacing it doesnt turn into a trip to the frame shop after tweaking the crossmember last year at Smorr.

I definitely hope that's not the case. Hopefully you'll be able to bolt the new one up without any issues.

Put me down for 1 for Branding Iron

Post 373 updated.

Less than 50 days!!!!

Our days/ times have changed a bit.

We have to be somewhere else a day earlier then planned. So instead of losing a day of vacation, were heading out a day earlier then planned.

Arriving on the 7th, leaving on Sunday, 2 for Branding Iron.

Phil is bringing Lucy

Not just Lucy, . . . "Loo - see - fer" . . .
Phil and Lucy.JPG

Phil and the girl.

Paul
'91 Sport

Originally Posted by rickybobby
It never fails, plan a big trip and the explorer throws a fit and breaks something. My rack developed a leak sometime in the last 2-300 miles Hopefully replacing it doesnt turn into a trip to the frame shop after tweaking the crossmember last year at Smorr.

Lol, Funny you mention that, my passenger side U-joint siezed Friday (fixed it) and there is also a clicking/clunking sound coming from the driver side coil bucket :S

Still can't wait for Moab!

Lol, Funny you mention that, my passenger side U-joint siezed Friday (fixed it) and there is also a clicking/clunking sound coming from the driver side coil bucket :S

Still can't wait for Moab!

Im still not sure if I'm gonna bother to fix it, I have already planned out a replacement as soon as the funding is available. So far it is a slight drip with only needing to add fluid every tank of gas or so. Im gonna dump some stop leak in it for now and see how it goes. Another week or 2 and it can be retired from DD duty. I just keep thinking of the bad things that could happen if I lose PS in the middle of a trail though.

I just keep thinking of the bad things that could happen if I lose PS in the middle of a trail though.

Your arms get really tired and sore!

When the 2nd gen rack & pinion decides to let loose, your stuck where ever it does for the most part.

I had mine puke its guts out and was a violent ride to the shop (only 2 miles) and really didn't think it would make it there. I had no time to mess with it back then, and paid for the labor to fix it.

Couple years later, it went out again. I replaced it that time myself, and wasn't hard at all.

The 2nd R&P has held out just fine, but ya never know with these things. They were not made for large tires, that's for sure!

I found a used 1 for $50, If i cant get it installed before easter im gonna pay a friend to swap it out for me. It is nice to still have contacts locally from college.

Because of health issues that resulted in major financial issues, there is no way I can afford to finish getting my Explorer ready for this run + pay for an obscene amount of money for fuel for a 4,000 mile+ round trip, then adding in hotel/etc, trail breakage, and lost wages for two weeks out of work. It ain't gonna happen for me yet again this year.

However it's been many long years since I've been to Moab, I committed to this run, and I sincerely do not want to miss this. It is in the realm of possibility for me to fly to SLC and rent a car to drive to Moab just to join up and meet with old friends. If any of the BigDawgs have a spare seat I'd like ask for the privilege of a ridealong on some of the tougher trails. I'll take a backseat if available. I'd appreciate spending the day on the trail with some of my longtime friends that I have not seen in ages. I do NOT want to be a burden to anyone or crowd their rig, but if someone has a spare seat and doesn't mind I promise I'll be good company :) .

Amongst other things going on in this old body, I'll be having a double hernia surgery in a couple of weeks but have been assured I "should" be able to handle getting bounced on a rough trail by mid-May, so Moab is probably still in the cards for me if there's a place for me once I get there.

Because of health issues that resulted in major financial issues, there is no way I can afford to finish getting my Explorer ready for this run + pay for an obscene amount of money for fuel for a 4,000 mile+ round trip, then adding in hotel/etc, trail breakage, and lost wages for two weeks out of work. It ain't gonna happen for me yet again this year.

However it's been many long years since I've been to Moab, I committed to this run, and I sincerely do not want to miss this. It is in the realm of possibility for me to fly to SLC and rent a car to drive to Moab just to join up and meet with old friends. If any of the BigDawgs have a spare seat I'd like ask for the privilege of a ridealong on some of the tougher trails. I'll take a backseat if available. I'd appreciate spending the day on the trail with some of my longtime friends that I have not seen in ages. I do NOT want to be a burden to anyone or crowd their rig, but if someone has a spare seat and doesn't mind I promise I'll be good company :) .

Amongst other things going on in this old body, I'll be having a double hernia surgery in a couple of weeks but have been assured I "should" be able to handle getting bounced on a rough trail by mid-May, so Moab is probably still in the cards for me if there's a place for me once I get there.

Hey Gerald, I'll have a seat in the BII if you don't mind the heater going full blast to prevent the 5.0 from overheating!

I promise I'll be good company :) .

Make your flight reservations. . . Even though I'll have Terri with me, I'm sure she won't might mind spending a day at the campsite (or in the back seat). I've been dying to finally run Moab Rim, so need your ground guiding skills. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are more than welcome to ride shotgun in the Toyota if you want.

Back