• Register Today It's free!

update/rant/needed opinions

slickemhoundd

Reaction score
City, State
Glassboro, southern jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 5.0
okay well for starters I have blew apart my fifth front axle. this time instead of snapping the tube like normal I actually blew a hole out of the different and have still been using 4 wheel drive without knowing and having it functioning perfectly. so now I am stuck, I don't know whether I should pop in another housing and swap the carrier to the old front diff or should I just bite the bullet and do a solid axle swap but anyhow updates I ordered a 270 amp MechMan alternator, 50 foot spool of 0 gauge wire. I have a kinetic hc 2000 on order as a second battery for stereo but cant decide on a nee main battery. I have a rlc bumper on order as well To accomidate the 12k winch i purchased. Back to the axle, if i swap it i want firmer tbars which outta be fun to find, but id rather go sas. I have the money but dont have the time anymore. Im outta town 5-7 days a week and the ol lady drives the truck. Im ramblin but i hope someone can get my mind straight. Also i have 35s sittin here but refuse to put body lift in.... help me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly you have answered your own question. You want stiffer suspension, you have the tires and dont want a body lift, you are having front end issues. If I were in your shoes I wouldnt be posting on here. Id be down in the garage cutting all the IFS crap out of that rig and getting to work.

Time is a killer but would you rather spend time fixing the front end how many times? or spend the time to one time fix it and do it right

Very true, i know what my heart desire but time wont permit, with being outta town with the work truck my ol lady drives the ex daily as its our only vehicle, and to start a sas i need to finish asap, i cant start working on it for two days, go to work come back and finish it in a week or two. Sucks that i know what i want...can afford it... but dont have time.. i damn sure am not going to pay someone else because all the fabbers around my way are expensive as all hell and are really not dependle when it comes to craftsmanship....hmph wish i could have a cut and dry parts list and a dedicated 3 ays

Well dont you have time off at some point? Id also expect a lot longer than 3 days. Just the cutting out alone would take a day. Then to come up with the steering and whatnot is another hassle

If i ever do have a couple days off i never know until the night before, Thats only when theres no project cleared to start. I build and decom cell towers, and in the communications field there is no communication. And by three days im reffering to ball bustin all out cat nap days

If only you had more time lol...well my suggestion would be to purchase the axle(s) and have them completely rebuilt (by you) since you have the money. That way you when you do the swap, the axle will be ready to go then the longest part is steering..and maybe cutting/grinding the IFS away. But again, that is if you had the time. Maybe if you have the money, get her back up and running then prepare with the axle on the side so if/when she poops out again, you might have the ability to knock out a SAS much more quickly...this will be the way i attempt to do my sas..get the front axle built as much as possible then purchase all the parts that I see most people have used and what I will need, then off to fabrication thanks to so many threads on here...of course this is if all goes as "planned" :)

If you got the axle ready, got the steering shaft built, got the steering built, got the box ready to be bolted on, got all that stuff ready at your disposal and provided you went with leafs (so much quicker) you could do it in 3 days provided you are competent as well as highly motivated

why are you wasting your time bro... fifth... wtf

Well i just put a deposit down on a 44 disc outta a box bronco with rad arms. I know 5 housings seems nutz but they were cheap and i have replacing them down to a science. I just need to figure out coil springs and linkage so i can get this show on the road.

YEEEEAAAA BUDDDYY!!! :) lol

i finished my sas a few weeks ago and i couldent be happier...

Good on you, I don't have my ifs anymore an my rig is bulletproof. Good call.

if it blew out 5 diffs and all with the same carrier i would say that something is not kosher with that carrier,, or the gearset on it,,
i think i recall you saying the front diff was getting hot,,
it really shouldn't,, heat up at all,,

something doesn't sound right,, i ran mine same way as yours and it is still going , i only broke 1 front cv axle, so far,,

Back