2nd Row Bucket Seats with Console Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Row Bucket Seats with Console Issue

mwoods269

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
Long story short. I needed buckets so I could access the 3rd row while having car seats in the second row. The dealer told me they had my truck and it also came with a 2nd row console that I could just remove if I didn't need it. This was cool as I could use it once the kids no longer required car seats.

OK, I removed it today and found there is no carpet underneath. I just left a message for a Ford Rep (Eric on Facebook) as well as my salesman.

Thoughts? My dealer has been great so I am hopeful of a remedy.

This console should be modular/removable and still provide the carpet underneath as to allow more versatility. I can see buying it with the console for a reason but it would be nice to be able to quickly remove it to change the configuration of the 2nd row.

Thanks,

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Long story short. I needed buckets so I could access the 3rd row while having car seats in the second row. The dealer told me they had my truck and it also came with a 2nd row console that I could just remove if I didn't need it. This was cool as I could use it once the kids no longer required car seats.

OK, I removed it today and found there is no carpet underneath. I just left a message for a Ford Rep (Eric on Facebook) as well as my salesman.

Thoughts? My dealer has been great so I am hopeful of a remedy.

This console should be modular/removable and still provide the carpet underneath as to allow more versatility. I can see buying it with the console for a reason but it would be nice to be able to quickly remove it to change the configuration of the 2nd row.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike, I think Husky may make a floor mat that covers most of that area. I have the Husky mats for the front and 2nd row and the cargo mat as well. Husky front mats seem to cover a little more than the Weathertech although both are superior to the Ford all weather mats.
You may also want to browse the following thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365873&highlight=carpet

Peter

I appreciate the idea however my dealer sold it to me with a thought that I could simply remove it and never let on there is no carpet there. someone is going to have to replace the carpet so that it covers It entirely I don't want to cover up some metal and have water coming up through the holes. Not accepting it.

I appreciate the idea however my dealer sold it to me with a thought that I could simply remove it and never let on there is no carpet there. someone is going to have to replace the carpet so that it covers It entirely I don't want to cover up some metal and have water coming up through the holes. Not accepting it.
I'm guessing the salesman/dealer knows better now. Unless someone has actually seen one with an installed console removed, I doubt they would really know for sure.

Peter

Agree

I saw that link as well. Just doesn't make sense for Ford to cut the carpet out there. Either way it looks like my dealer is going to have to order new rear carpet as I am not taking it. If I am not mistaken the carpet is seemed under the drivers seats?

Interesting. My wife's 13' has 2nd row buckets without a console. It has a black plastic cap over where I assume the console would mount.

I have to admit, I am a little confused here. You said the dealer has your truck, so I assume you custom ordered it -- if you don't want the console ever, why order it with a console? If its not a custom order, have your dealer locate you a vehicle to the specs you want, or have them custom order you one to the specs you want.

I don't see why you think the dealer should have to order you a very expensive carpet part when you don't even want the vehicle. Yes, they should have told you removal of the console would result in a hole that needs to be covered, but its not very difficult to have covered and a detail shop could probably custom cut a piece of carpet to cover the hole perfectly without replacing the entire carpeting. I removed my console (I purposefully ordered the console with the intent to remove it) and have covered the hole and the solution works perfectly. But if you never want a console, order a different vehicle, and if you ordered this one, then it was your mistake as much as theirs. You can call me a troll if you want, but you have tons of options available to you.

Told dealer I needed limited with buckets. Dealer said OK we have one ordered already with buckets and a center console you can just remove if you don't want it. I said cool, once the kids get out of cars seats in the second row I might have a use for it a 3-4 years down the road but most likely not.

Here we are now. I called them and let them know it was unacceptable and I needed a fix. I like the dealer and wasn't nasty about it just let them know they told me one thing and they just didn't realize the carpet was missing. If they can fill with carpet and it looks normal then fine but if not I want it replaced.

Going forward they know better and won't make that mistake again. Mistakes happen and I am fine with it as long as they make good on it.

No console option

They just cut the carpet out to make the installation of the console easier at the factory versus just 4 hole where the screws would go. Your wife's car was ordered without console however I would bet the mounting holes are underneath the carpet.

Interesting. My wife's 13' has 2nd row buckets without a console. It has a black plastic cap over where I assume the console would mount.

Told dealer I needed limited with buckets. Dealer said OK we have one ordered already with buckets and a center console you can just remove if you don't want it. I said cool, once the kids get out of cars seats in the second row I might have a use for it a 3-4 years down the road but most likely not.

Here we are now. I called them and let them know it was unacceptable and I needed a fix. I like the dealer and wasn't nasty about it just let them know they told me one thing and they just didn't realize the carpet was missing. If they can fill with carpet and it looks normal then fine but if not I want it replaced.

Going forward they know better and won't make that mistake again. Mistakes happen and I am fine with it as long as they make good on it.

I appreciate that you edited your post, as I'm just trying to help you out. So, do they still have the vehicle, or do you? I guess that's what I don't understand. You say it was unacceptable, but I sense that you accepted the vehicle. I think you have the best of both worlds and if you can convince the dealer to pay to cover the hole, great for you. If I recall when I researched it, the rear carpet is like a $900 part. If not, like I said, its not that challenging, I've posted a walkthrough, and when your kids are out of car seats, you have the console, which is pretty spiffy. Yes, it would have been nice if ford used the same carpet with or without the console so it could be removed, and yes if would have been nice if your dealer knew they didn't (but, let's be honest, noone is surprised they didn't know that). Best of luck to you. I guess I just disagree with your conclusion that this was "your truck" or that they "owe you this fix." You bought it one way, and are essentially asking for them to make it another and give you a free (well, $100) console. I dunno, you could probably find someone on these boards that will trade you their carpet for your console.

Yes it was ordered without a console. I was trying to understand the significance of the cap. Obviously, you can't install a console after the fact without cutting out the carpet. If your dealer steered you toward this Explorer on the premise that you just take the console out, it's their baby. Good luck.

I edited as assumed you were someone else :)

I bought it as described per their comment that I could remove it if I didn't want it. It's hard to find a 2013 limited with buckets sitting on the lot how I wanted it so paying for a $100 console was no big thing.

Can you link me how you went about your fix? I am quite handy and would like to take a look. I might just offer to let them off the hook for the extended 100K mile warranty.

looking for link

...OK, I removed it today and found there is no carpet underneath. I just left a message for a Ford Rep (Eric on Facebook) as well as my salesman...

Hi mwoods269,

Keep me posted on how things progress at the dealership. I know my colleague, Eric, will do what he can to assist, too.

Crystal

Thread cleaned up. Keep it civil.

I edited as assumed you were someone else :)

I bought it as described per their comment that I could remove it if I didn't want it. It's hard to find a 2013 limited with buckets sitting on the lot how I wanted it so paying for a $100 console was no big thing.

Can you link me how you went about your fix? I am quite handy and would like to take a look. I might just offer to let them off the hook for the extended 100K mile warranty.

It's in the thread I posted above -- I ordered the Husky mats (which I highly recommend anyway, especially since you have kids). The mat will cover 95% of the hole, but to cover the entire hole. But, to make full coverage I cut up the rear passenger mat to match the size of the hole. My mat was already stained from my daughter, so no big loss. It actually works very well -- unless you look very closely, you can't see the seam. I'm happy with it -- its not perfect, but its really good, I think. That said, I'm not the type of person that needs it perfect, if you are, make sure you will be happy.

First attempt at my own fix for now.
11vhb2s.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks pretty good -- here is the part for the plastic cover - 5F9Z 7404752 AAC

Back