• Register Today It's free!

Use Ebay front end parts?

ponkotsu

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln Aviator
I know the Moog stuff is better, but its hard to justify $500 on this vehicle.

If anyone has any long-term experience with the low priced balljoints and tierods, can you tell me how they worked out? If they get me 50k miles I'd be happy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They WILL NOT last that long. Most get a year or less out of them. I have 7k on an ebay front end rebuild and need to replace one of the wheel bearings and one of the ball joints

Moog for front suspension parts, Timken for bearings. Buy them from wherever you get the best price (w/shipping). Amazon, Rock Auto, Ebay, The Frugal Mechanic, Auto Parts Warehose. Do it once - do it right. What are you buying that's costing $500? I did upper control arms, lower ball joints and end-links for around $150 from RA (shipping included) and might have had free shipping on Amazon, which would have saved me around $30.

Moog for front suspension parts, Timken for bearings. Buy them from wherever you get the best price (w/shipping). Amazon, Rock Auto, Ebay, The Frugal Mechanic, Auto Parts Warehose. Do it once - do it right. What are you buying that's costing $500? I did upper control arms, lower ball joints and end-links for around $150 from RA (shipping included) and might have had free shipping on Amazon, which would have saved me around $30.

UCA are like $120 each. UCA, balljoints, inner/outer rod ends. Total was like $500 from Advance auto. Probably I can find a little cheaper. Can't believe RA is that cheap, but I'll check.

Amazon or RockAuto will give you best online pricing.

you'll find the prices MUCH better on Rock Auto, but they do charge for shipping and if parts are coming from multiple warehouses, the shipping is more expensive and shipping times can take longer. forum members can get a 5% discount, with a discount code, with RA. i sometimes perfer Amazon (if part is available) if i can get Super Saver free shipping. like anything else, you gotta shop around to get the best price..

Yeah, they are way cheaper than Advanceauto even with the big coupon codes. Got it down to about $230 plus shipping for everything. I'll shop around to the other shops. No hurry. I can collect the parts and do the job in the fall when I buy new tires. The vibration is getting a bit annoying though...

Keep in mind with Advance Auto, that if you break up your order into multiple smaller ones, using coupon codes might get you a decent price overall.

The last time I priced motor and trans mounts, three in all, for my Paseo, it was a better deal to bunch two together in one transaction with a coupon, and use a different coupon on the last single one in another transaction.

Keep in mind with Advance Auto, that if you break up your order into multiple smaller ones, using coupon codes might get you a decent price overall.

The last time I priced motor and trans mounts, three in all, for my Paseo, it was a better deal to bunch two together in one transaction with a coupon, and use a different coupon on the last single one in another transaction.

I'm a cheapass. I know those tricks and then some! I also use ebates.com which is good for another 6%.

But I think Rockauto has them beat even with the coupons.

Should I use the 1 piece or 2 piece control arms?

Should I use the 1 piece or 2 piece control arms?

1 piece, because whoever aligns your truck will have once heck of a time adjusting the caster with the 2 piece one installed. I also suggest the Caster/Camber Alignment kit, the driver side one is not nearly as hard as people say they are to get out, I went though this with a 2 piece on my truck about 2 weeks ago, and it was a nightmare!

You don't always get what you pay for. ;)

This couldn't be more true when it comes to our front suspension parts. Gazillion threads on this subject, and even a decent sticky thread to help out. Before you spend a dime, I suggest you spend time reading here for a while. :thumbsup:

For when you get serious about quality, and the most for your buck, have a read here...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297369

If you get UCAs from eBay, make sure they are the ones with the zerk fittings and grease them accordingly.

The UCAs are probably your safest bet for eBay, I'd probably lean towards Moog lowers ball joints, just because you do not want them to pop out, I've seem some horrifying results from this, even with the c rings installed properly.

If you get UCAs from eBay, make sure they are the ones with the zerk fittings and grease them accordingly.

The UCAs are probably your safest bet for eBay, I'd probably lean towards Moog lowers ball joints, just because you do not want them to pop out, I've seem some horrifying results from this, even with the c rings installed properly.

With the lower ball joints being the weight supporting ball joints, I highly suggest using something better then cheap Chinese ball joints.

With the lower ball joints being the weight supporting ball joints, I highly suggest using something better then cheap Chinese ball joints.
Indubitably.

Timkin for bearings.
Why? Moog bearings are superior (using patented re-engineered quad-lipped seals) and have the exact same warranty period.

hubGen.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back