• Register Today It's free!

Want a little rumble.

LUVITLO

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
I want to get a little rumble in my exhaust, I don't want it real loud just enough to hear it.
In the past (but on smaller engines) I have had 30" glass packs but I would like a deeper sound.

Has anyone tried one of those "Fast and Furious" mufflers they put on those imports? If so which ones give a deep sound with the 4.0L

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean a fart can? No. They won't give you a deep sound. Those are made to make that higher pitch "race car" buzz.

Do a catback into some kind of flow-through muffler like a magnaflow, and a short glass pack for a resonator, then put it into a wide tip. That will cancel out most of your high frequency noises and slightly amplify your low frequency noises. Don't do anything to your cats, otherwise you will get nothing but rasp.

Wasn't planning on doing nothing to the cat, it's not stopped up and has good flow. I was accually wanting to leave the stock muffler too if possible and just weld in a noise maker that's why i thought about the racing muffler cause they go on the end. Do you think the glasspack and a tip would do it with a stock muffler, like I stated not wanting it real loud just enough I can hear it. Not used to having a motor I can't hear from the driver seat.

OPEN HEADERS BABY! lol

The humongous stock muffler is the cork in your exhaust system. Adding anything after
it will only make it quieter. Replace it with the muffler of your choice and delete the resonator
if it's not loud enough. A low tone is difficult to achieve with a V6, it's subjective to the listener.

The whistles go wooooo!

bubbrubb.gif

A full Dynomax cat back would be a good choice. They tend to sound deeper than a Flowmaster or Magnaflow.

Resonators are basically glass packs. Cutting out your factory resonator and putting a glass pack in its place will give you the same thing you had before as far as sound goes. Deleting the resonator will give you more high frequency noise.

The whistles go wooooo!

bubbrubb.gif

Gibson makes a really nice cat back system. I have it on my rig and it has a slight deep tone at idle and a nice mellow rumble when you get on it. I'm very happy with it.

I say a 422 cam. That will give a new exhaust note. Its the supporting valve springs, etc. that beome a bit prohibative.

Or, just go with a catback as suggested. I think James at Henson Performance has some Gibson catbacks at an extremely attractive price. This would be by far the best solution (Probably why everyone else has suggested it).

My mother's 2005 Mustang 4.0 SOHC has a very decent rumble, you can hear it while driving and it is very satisfying. Is that a header setup? Should be factory.

The sohc actually breathes.
The ohv factory cam has something around .2 lift. Its a joke. Thats part of what made the ohv so reliable, but also slow (And no exhaust note. along with a restrictive muffler) The muffler doesnt need to flow when the motors not pushing any air.

The factory builds everything as a system, and its all matched together. You need a catback, or different muffler. Heck, with the cat's in there, you could probably insert a straight pipe in place of the muffler and still be quiet.

Honestly, just make a small hole into your current exhaust, and with time it will get bigger and louder.

Ask me how I know... :fart:

please for the love of god dont put a fart can on it lol. if you have the cash go for a flowmaster set up you wont be disapointed

Found a Gibson on eBay 130.00 new is that a decent price? I can get my father in law to weld it on so muffler will be my only expense. Well besides a nice huge tip for the end!

A full Dynomax cat back would be a good choice. They tend to sound deeper than a Flowmaster or Magnaflow.
This.

Although I love Magnaflow, the Dynomax Super Turbo I had on my 92 was deeper and not loud.

Gibson makes a really nice cat back system. I have it on my rig and it has a slight deep tone at idle and a nice mellow rumble when you get on it. I'm very happy with it.

I got a Gibson catback as well. Great system.

high flow single cat to 2.5" pipe to flowmaster 10 series duel outlet to duel 2" pipes to 3" long tips. probably more aggressive than your looking for but any one of these things will give you the "little rumble" your looking for. a combination of them all will blow the doors off of those little ricers around town.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Magna Flow is a very nice muffler.

Back