LED load resistor installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED load resistor installation

Lil98Sport4X4

Former DSMer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
State College, PA WE ARE... PENN STATE!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Sport Trac Ltd V8 4x4
As I found out earlier this month, 2nd gen. Trac owners cannot use an LED flasher to correct the flash rate and remove the annoying check bulb warnings. So, I finally broke down and installed load resistors on my front turn signal and brake lights. I purchased these load resistors from superbrightleds.com. I used a single #8 self tapper to secure each resistor.

I started with the brake lights...

DSC00774.jpg

LR brake light: I managed to tack the resistor down to an exposed piece of the bed frame. The blue tape was used to protect the composite edge from the drill I used to start the screw. The wire crimp taps provided a clean and quick method to splice into the wires I needed. They were included with the each resistor.

I did the same to the RR brake light and then moved on to the front turn signals.

DSC00777.jpg

LF headlight assembly: I tucked the resistor in behind the headlight assembly as shown above.

DSC00778.jpg

RF headlight assembly: I had to find a different location for this resistor, because there was a large wire bundle behind the area where I had mounted the resistor on the opposite side.

After completing the job, I noticed a clicking sound under the shifter when I press the brake pedal while in park. I'm not sure what exactly this is, but I'm hoping it's not anything serious. I'm gonna keep a close eye on it. I'll probably check the resistors in a few months to see how they're holding up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After completing the job, there is a noticeable clicking sound under the shifter when I press the brake pedal while in I'm in park. I'm not sure what exactly this is, but I'm hoping it's not anything serious.

You mean the brake interlock soleniod? The "lock" that doesnt allow you to take the shifter out of park unless you step on the brake?

That's what I was wondering, but it never made that noise prior to installing the resistors.

It never made the noise before or You never noticed it before?

It didn't make a noise prior to the resistor installation, and it's definitely something I would have noticed.

If it is the solenoid, then I guess the corrected load is causing it to open more aggressively.

I have a question, I just did the same thing to my Ex before I saw your write up, have you run into the issue where when your lights are on at night, your LED turn signals aren't flashing? But everything appears normal on the dash, no error codes at all. I noticed it tonight, got home and was going to do a video of the lights flashing while the lights were on but nothing was happening.

DSC00777.jpg

LF headlight assembly: I tucked the resistor in behind the headlight assembly as shown above.

DSC00778.jpg

Ignore my other post, I figured out the taillight issue, one of the bulbs isn't functioning correctly, I swapped sides and found the problem. As for the front, once I install the load resistor, either the front flashes at normal pace but won't glow when I turn on the lights or if I switch up wire positioning, it won't flash with the running lights on but it will glow. I tried it with 4 different bulbs, did you have this issue?

Change out your flasher to a LED flasher. Load resistors IMHO are dangerouse fire Hazards. Get way hot and use moe electricity than the incandesant bulb. Why go LED then?
LED FLasher is cheap and no cutting and splicing needed. I have done 4 vehicles and three bikes this way.
SUperbrightLED's .com

Sport trac's don't have flashers it's an electronic module

Sport trac's don't have flashers it's an electronic module
WOW guess I should have read the OP post from the beginning. My bad.Thats a drag because I'm not a fan of Load resistors for LEDs.
Looks like I wont

be changing the indicator LEDs Bummer. thats all I have left.

Back