Project Lazyboy SAS... | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Lazyboy SAS...

So just bought the wife a new 2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost she told me I can have the Lincoln Aviator and do whatever I want with it. So I am going to SAS this beast. Already started collecting parts. This time I am going full widths.

Here is pic of the bosses new truck...
20120805_095252.jpg

Project Lazyboy 2003 Lincoln Aviator 4.6 DOHC 5 speed auto AWD.
20120422_174132.jpg

Plans for the truck
3/4 ton Chevy leafs rear.
Ford 9.75 5.13 Detroit
F150 High pinion Dana 44 5.13 electric locker
Custom long arm set up with coilovers
Electric shift BW1356 (should fit since the frame is wider and gas tank is on the pass side).

I should be starting the build in the next couple months. We are getting ready to move so I may not start until mid/late Fall. Stay tuned....:D

Oh and if anyone wants some upgrade parts for there Explorer or Mountaineer the Lincoln used Aluminum front control arms and I think a few other things like bigger brakes all that stuff will be for sale. Also the Aviator has 4.30 gears in it now those axles will be up for grabs when the time comes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the way awesome action pic

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I just can't wait to hit the trail sitting in this... LOL

20130209_092337_zps7c393563.jpg

Oh my sweet baby Jesus that thing looks so innocent and unscathed..

I could foresee that this would be the star of the Moab trip..

LOL it is pretty pimp inside. I miss driving it. The oil filter relocation kit should be here today. 6-8 inches of snow tonight so might be sledding with my boys tomorrow. We have this awesome new property and hasn't really snowed since we moved here.

Running into a new issue. When I was looking at the Tcase I realized Ford went away from the tail cone setup on the end of the tranny. The Tcase bolts directly to the transmission which creates a new issue for me. Either I have to get an F150 tranny and swap it in or I will have make custom adapter to bolt a normal Tcase up. If I end making an adapter I might try and use NP231 or NP241 since they are smaller Tcases and will give me a lot more room. Also I can do cable shifter and hide the shifter somewhere it won't be as much of eye sore.

I sadly just had to get rid of my explorer but maybe one day years down the road I'd love to have something like this done to my 04 expedition since its also four wheel independent suspension but I'd first have to get a newer one to pull my camper. I know I'd make sure to look you up to see about having you do it.

Guys I really love to see that nice Aviator on a video doing off road, so hurry up Josh! Lol!

Hey guys, I was watching josh's videos and I see there are some term like SAS, double R etc... what does this mean? forgive my ignorance, I never work, done or have been near a lifted truck.

Hey guys, I was watching josh's videos and I see there are some term like SAS, double R etc... what does this mean? forgive my ignorance, I never work, done or have been near a lifted truck.

Solid Axle Swap. Since the rigs were original independent front suspensions and have had solid axles swaped in place of the original setup.

And "double r" is just a name. He wanted it to be named "rock ranger" but someone else had that name already, so it became Double R- or I guess RR.

Not sure what TNT is all about.

I have someone interested in them already if they decides not to take them I will let you know. And trust me I can't wait to start the front. I want to let the shop floor have just over a week to cure before I pull it in there and tear down the front.

Heyman your ex looks awesome! I wish i had the money and place to do something like that haha

Did the person interested in your old diffs ever buy them if not im still interested

Heyman your ex looks awesome! I wish i had the money and place to do something like that haha

Did the person interested in your old diffs ever buy them if not im still interested

I was first in line, but will be putting the money towards my camaro now. The diffs are yours if he hasn't gotten rid of them yet :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've really been enjoying this registry Stang - good luck with the rest of the work.

BTW - do you know the width of the HP D44 that you're using? A hand measured track width would work as well. I know those 2 measurements are slightly different, but I'm just trying to get some general ideas about how a JK D44 would look under a 3rd/4th Gen.

I have the axles actually had them for week now. Just picked them up cause they were there at the pull yard and figured if I didn't use them I can always sell them.

The 9.75 is roughly 66.5" WMS to WMS
78 F150 HP D44 I picked up is roughly 65.75" WMS to WMS.
So I would say these axles are close enough for me. 3/8" of inch on each side will hardly be noticeable.

Here is pic of 9.75 5.13 Yukon gears next to set of 8.8 4.88 Yukon gears.
20120814_174746.jpg

As you can see the 9.75 gears a slightly bigger. LOL From what I have been reading the 9.75 has the same amount of teeth as the 8.8 on the ABS tone ring should make it easy to make the speedo work since my programmer does tire size and gear ratio.

Going to order a set of 5x135mm to 5x5.5 wheel spacers to use as jig to try and drill the shafts on my drill press. If it works great saves me time and money going to the machine shop if not then I can always pick up another set of shafts cheap at the JY.

I've really been enjoying this registry Stang - good luck with the rest of the work.

BTW - do you know the width of the HP D44 that you're using? A hand measured track width would work as well. I know those 2 measurements are slightly different, but I'm just trying to get some general ideas about how a JK D44 would look under a 3rd/4th Gen.

Right there on Page one. JK axles are around 65" WMS to WMS. I gear about ten of them a month. They should work make sure to sleeve or truss the tubes and gussets the Cs. The 44 uses the same tubes and Cs and the 30 on the JK! I know cause I gusset and sleeve a lot of them when I do the gears. :eek:

I seen the link on TRS and had to check it out. What an awesome rig. I want all that plushiness in one of mine!

Can't wait to see some action shots

I want more sir,

Me too. Weather has been crap we just got 9 inches of snow and it is in the teens outside. Hard to stay motivated. I need to get the oil filter relocation kit in and then I can proceed with the steering.

Also I have been working on the new Ranger. I need to get it done. And I picked up 99 Explorer I am doing a lift and 33s on it with 4.88 gears. Already did 1354 swap to it.

20130316_083214_zps210de754.jpg

Pic before the lift.
20130308_135946_zpse65f8082.jpg

Yeah I was going to go 4.56 but the normal gears I get are on back order and since I already have the 4.88s sitting on my shelf I figured why not. Only 180 RPM difference between 4.56 and 4.88 at 75 mph in Overdrive with 33s.

Back