key stuck could not remove from key hole | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

key stuck could not remove from key hole

wangbungal

Reaction score
City, State
miami fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford ranger xl 97
Ford explorer 2003 4.0 v6 SOHC,

need help, ive been searching the forums and the web but could not find a solution, i could not remove the keys, what i tried already is check the brake lights thought it was a brake light switch problem, turn the wheel to lock but its not locking and still could not remove the key,

the only way for me to remove the key is to disconnect the negative cable of the battery, weird but need a fix please thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the Neutral Park Safety Switch.

I happen to remove the boot out of the shifter and found this switch hanging, I thought of pressing it and I was able to remove the key with no problem, you guys possible to upload an image of yours of how it is mounted? it appears mounted but I dont know where and the tabs are broken

Sorry man, it is raining horribly here. I am interested in seeing a pic of it myself. How hard was it to pull the trim from around the ignition? What tools were necessary?

IMAG0290_zps7fcc093e.jpg

IMAG0291_zps0b55f4ea.jpg

DAT05EXPLODER, thanks for the pick, you happen to sell that part and the boot? i see youre parting out an explorer let me know please

let me know if you are able to remove it and let me know how much thank you

Similar thing happens with my Camry now that I just got a new tranny in... I have to jam the shifter knob hard into park for my to be able to get the key out...

DAT05EXPLODER, yes I am looking to replace that blue piece, its annoying to press that just to remove the key

I happen to remove the boot out of the shifter and found this switch hanging, I thought of pressing it and I was able to remove the key with no problem, you guys possible to upload an image of yours of how it is mounted? it appears mounted but I dont know where and the tabs are broken

I have the same issue, I was just leaving the key in the ignition.
You can see in the picture the blue part is the broken off tab still attached just above the ignition switch, that is where it is mounted. The metal tang is pushed in when the car is in park and the key is released. I found the part taped up inside plastic ignition housing - damn PO. I guess I'll be ordering one - Neutral Park Safety Switch?
It is possible to just tape the switch shut and leave it floating around in the housing. I guess the negative is that your keys could fall out of the ignition while the car is running.

Back