• Register Today It's free!

USB audio bug

vfral1

Reaction score
City, State
Cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 LTD Golden Bronze
I have a USB flash drive with music on it plugged in. Sometimes when I start the car it will default to the USB drive, when previously it had been on radio.

Does this happen to anybody else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes
I have a 2013 limited with the same issue and any time USB is used and explorer is restarted it defaults back to the first song
I was told nothing can be done at this time to correct

That bug's been there since the beginning. It's well documented and it affects not only flash drives but iPods as well.

I have a USB flash drive with music on it plugged in. Sometimes when I start the car it will default to the USB drive, when previously it had been on radio.

Does this happen to anybody else?

Hmm... I do not generally have this problem, although I might have had it happen and not noticed.

One thing you can try is that there is an option under the settings for autoplay for the USB. I think it makes the USB stick automatically selected as the Audio source if/when it's detected.

I can't think of the exact location or the exact option but if you look you can find it.

Yes
I have a 2013 limited with the same issue and any time USB is used and explorer is restarted it defaults back to the first song
I was told nothing can be done at this time to correct

I do not have this problem. I use my USB stick all the time and the only time it starts over is when it does the random re-indexes.

Sounds like your USB flash drive is reindexing every time you start the car.

To reduce how often that happens, try:
1.) put all your files in a flat file structure - no seperate folders for songs/artists/etc...
2.) trim all the file names to remove special characters, spaces, etc.... The shorter the file name the better.
3.) Download a tag editor and remove all information from the MP3 tag EXCEPT Artist, Song Title, Album, Genre, and Cover Art.

Step #3 is actually pretty important. For some reason, Sync doesn't like certain tag fields. Especially the compilation check box. Make sure that is unchecked.

The other thing that can happen is that it seems that sometimes Sync never actually properly creates the index upon startup. For some reason the index created upon start up appears corrupted so it will reindex everytime you start the car. To fix this, once Sync is done building the corrupt index, have it rebuild the index manually. There is an option to do this.

Note that these procedures substantially reduce how often this happens, but sometimes it just happens.

Finally,
to speed up indexing, pause playback from the USB device - this works wonders on improving speed as the system isn't accessing the USB interface for two seperate tasks - I have 750 songs on my USB drive and it takes about 1 minute max (I've timed it) to index

Happens to me also

Don't find to be a major bug. I just touch back to the channell I want. My issue is...I wish it not play the same song every time . To tell the true I didn't know this was a bug...lol

Had my xLT for just over a month and very happy so far.

Anyone use a screen protector like on the IPads? Is it a good idea and if so where do you get them?

Thanks Thanks jrmexplorer
Took your info as menu in settings turned off all under aux Now when using thumb drive when explorer is turn off and restarted song picks up where left off and when on other media ie radio it stays on radio after restart . These fourms are great this issue has been going on sense delivery took to dealer mft expert could not figure out he even placed a call to tec support and I had to return to dealer after the next day with no correction and when I called customer mft support I was told it was a known issue with no fix. But now it was fixed with a simple menu setting go figure
Great advice
Thanks

Back