Brian_B

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mountain Home, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mounty / 56 f-100
Hello all,

I have not been around this forum in a very long time. I rolled my 01 explorer (flipped once in the air and 3 times on the ground) in 09.

I have a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer. 4 door, 4.0 SOHC, 5 speed auto, 4X4. I am not sure what gears it has. I know its open differential. I have my set of 4.10s from the 01 I intend to put in it this summer. Tires are LT30 X 9.5 R15.

I have run some searches on here..but even what I found I do not understand.

Can anyone help me out please? What is the tow rating for my vehicle?

I am looking to get a small travel trailer and need to have some idea of what I can safely tow occasionally for short trips. I do have a factory receiver hitch and a small trans cooler (factory tow package?), but I will need to add a bigger cooler and temp gauge anyway.

I need to wire in a brake controller and the correct plug in the back (no clue yet how that wires up..have not started researching). Possibly will need a weight distribution hitch setup as well.

I found this link for explorers, but I have no clue what "package" my mountaineer would translate to.

http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/spec2000.htm

I found this link with charts..but I am confused still:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176988&highlight=tow+rating

If I have not posted enough information to say for sure, please tell me what else I need.

Thanks, brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

iirc factory tow pkg should have included a limited slip diff. With that engine/transmission I wouldn't feel comfortable towing more then maybe 5000lbs. With factory tow pkg it's rated for 5600.

iirc factory tow pkg should have included a limited slip diff. With that engine/transmission I wouldn't feel comfortable towing more then maybe 5000lbs. With factory tow pkg it's rated for 5600.

Thank you. It must not be the factory tow package. It is definitely not a limited slip (yet). It has a ford marked 2" receiver hitch and it looks like factory wiring plugged in for the 4 pin connector. Oh well.

I was not planning on even going that heavy...but that is a great guideline. :thumbsup:

Thank you. It must not be the factory tow package. It is definitely not a limited slip (yet). It has a ford marked 2" receiver hitch and it looks like factory wiring plugged in for the 4 pin connector. Oh well.

I was not planning on even going that heavy...but that is a great guideline. :thumbsup:

Rating wise there's 1000lb difference between factory tow pkg and non-tow pkg. The original owner could have had the dealer install the receiver hitch at time of purchase which means they would have used a ford receiver hitch. I think tow pkg also included the 7pin hookup and not the 4pin.

Morning Brian,

I completely agree with shadow's statement, 5,000lbs is about the max you want to go and that might be a bit high once you start adding passengers.

So to hit on your multiple questions.

Weight distribution is really a must over anything above 300lbs tongue weight, especially if its a single axle. I have carried over 300 lbs tonque weight without WD but the utility trailer is a tandem axle which tends to handle the load better. There are a lot of WD systems out there, you just need to be concerned about ground clearance for the hitch and torsion bars. There are plenty of different WD systems out there to fit your truck and trailer, just hunt around. I would recommend the system I am using but its specifically designed for the Coleman camper but its designed by Reese which tends to be the go to source.

Brake Controller wiring isn't to bad. I would recommend picking up a 7 pin designed to plug into your 4 pin that you should already have back there. It makes wiring a breeze and basically means you only have 2 more wires to worry about. The only 2 other leads you need to wire up is one that comes from the brake controller and the last one that comes off the positive lead on the battery. The plain positive lead off the battery is just to provide power to the trailer's braking/charging systems. So now your saying, wait thats 6 pins what about the 7th pin. Well it is for reverse which is not necessary unless you have a trailer with reverse lights, so that one is your call.

All of this is really well documented online and most of it is now in youtube videos, so google is your friend.

Now some of my Camper eye candy, :p.

So the pic with the rims on is with our Coleman Fleetwood 18ft popup, she is roughly 3800lbs. Yeah its one of the heaviest they made on a single axle, so thats why I am a little **** on weight distribution.
545701_10100780177534903_1423127953_n.jpg

In the explorers defense I am on an incline and to list a few mods, I do have an additional add a leaf inside the stock leaf pack.

Rest of picks are with the Reese 350 Mini-Lite WD System

Hope that helps man, sorry to high jack your thread. :thumbsup:

Rating wise there's 1000lb difference between factory tow pkg and non-tow pkg. The original owner could have had the dealer install the receiver hitch at time of purchase which means they would have used a ford receiver hitch. I think tow pkg also included the 7pin hookup and not the 4pin.

Few things wrong here, your correct its about 1000lb difference due to the added trans cooler but thats about where you go off a bit. The tow pkg didn't have to come with a limited slip diff, mine is the perfect example, its a 3.55 Open with the factory trailer tow package. You also got beefed up wireing harness for the added load of the 4 pin connector. ONly the 3rd gens and above included for the 7 pin connector, not the 2nd gens. An even the 2nd gens didn't always give you the dongle or the famous T splitter, you had to pick that up separate even if you had the tow pkg.

So you might have the trailer tow package, only the window sticker would dictate that. If you have the trans cooler, thats a huge plus.

Few things wrong here, your correct its about 1000lb difference due to the added trans cooler but thats about where you go off a bit. The tow pkg didn't have to come with a limited slip diff, mine is the perfect example, its a 3.55 Open with the factory trailer tow package. You also got beefed up wireing harness for the added load of the 4 pin connector. ONly the 3rd gens and above included for the 7 pin connector, not the 2nd gens. An even the 2nd gens didn't always give you the dongle or the famous T splitter, you had to pick that up separate even if you had the tow pkg.

So you might have the trailer tow package, only the window sticker would dictate that. If you have the trans cooler, thats a huge plus.

I was going off my 3rd gen knowledge. The only way to get 3.73's w/ an LS rear on the 03's is to get the tow pkg, which also does away with the 4pin connector that comes with the standard class II hitch and subs it for a 7pin.

Thank you gentleman. I will definitely play it safe.

I have not really towed much with the explorer and nothing with the mountaineer. I towed my 56 home on a dolly. That was a 14 hour drive across country..but a dolly is easy.

I love the pics. I cannot believe a popup weights that much..wow. Thank you for the tips on wiring and the WD hitches as well. I have not started researching that yet. I wanted to find out what sort of weights I had to deal with first. I will look for a light one.

Dad has a 97 F-150 1/2 ton, standard cab, 4X4, long bed, I can pick up a trailer with if need be (when I find one). He has the brake controller and all already installed.

Hi again guys. I have found one (been looking for weeks to learn price ranges) that I am interested in..and can afford (haha). I do not have the weight of it yet (the guy will go look in the daylight tomorrow).

I can use dads F-150, but hate to borrow. :confused:

1996 Coachman Catalina Ultralight, 18ft, bumper pull

It probably will not pan out, but here are a couple of exterior pics.

image21.jpg

image23.jpg

Nice, your expo should have no problems hauling that with a weight distribution system. Also, if you do a lot of high way driving look into a sway control bar, weather you use the F150 or not they make hauling a dream! Keeps the trailer inline with the truck and helps keep things under control when you have to make an envase maneuver.

I don't have one on mine as its built into each end of my torsion bars. Where it says reese back by the battery, those act like brake pads to keep the trailer from swaying. I can haul at a nice pace with no problems with sway. Again all recommendations to make your hauling experience easier as you shouldn't have as many problems with sway as its a tandem wheel setup.

Looks like its about 2860lbs dry, which is well within your hauling rate for the expo! Pulled specs from here http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1996/Coachmen

The ultra lights are awesome man, they are full boxed aluminum frames and super light. I was looking at a 20ft that weight the same as my popup dry!

I will look into sway control. I will not be towing this far very often. I live between two beautiful lakes with campgrounds literally everywhere. I'm 15 minutes from one (not towing a trailer) and maybe 25 from the other.

I have E-mailed back and forth with this gentleman several times. I have tons of pics. It has minor issues (its older), but in very good shape overall. Other than the front storage area door seal. LOL

I will try to go see it in the next couple of days.

Well guys..I dropped the hammer. I am making him fix a few things and will pick it up next weekend using dads truck. :)

Back