302 blocks , which one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 blocks , which one?

Okay long story short
Replaced rear main seal ( professionally) , leaks month later
Very angry :mad:

I'm looking at new blocks, I have a pretty much stock 99 5.0 (gt40p heads )
The rear main seal has driven me mad, mad enough to change the whole block in order to get a non leaking seal , needless to say the ford racing 302 blocks are looking pretty good , my only problem is I need a good understanding there are so many 302s on there with numbers like 4 inch bore or rough 4.115 what ever
I understand that is cylinder size ?
How do I go about matching up all these ?
I have a lot of questions and plan on doing this engine right all help is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To any mods : The reason I posted in need for speed is because I'd like to do this 302 fairly up as well, but if it more appropriate in another section I understand , thanks

Smoke da other kid
Lol no in all seriousness , I'd like to hit 400 hp or so
I do plan on keeping it for a DD but this is what I weighted , if I build this up nicely I'll have a pretty much new truck (no rust , did custom exhaust and massive overhaul on suspenion n etc already)
I've fallen in love with my truck and a new engine would mean like having a new truck (transmission is strong but on the list)
My starting budget is 2.5 k but my 18 birthday is tomorrow n I'm looking for a cash injection ;D

Really, you're going to build a new engine because of a rear main seal leak. What seal did the shop use? I just built a 347 and used a teflon seal which is supposed to be better than the rubber ones. It started leaking after about 400 miles. I replaced it with a rubber one and so far with 2500 miles it doesn't leak. So unless the seal leak is just an excuse to build a new engine I'd start with checking the seal.

Not about to lie to you , it's an excuse
I was told they used a rubber one as well, I personally think they prolly screwed me over , had a friend go there over something n his truck ended up with more issues , I just don't wanna go through the process of dropping the tranny or removing the engine , re doing a seal myself n then have it leak because the ring or crank is tweaked

hate to tell you, but if your looking for 400hp and budgeting for 2500, your not going to get far. the reason i say this is headers will run around $700 ish mark. heads (if you go alum) will be $1500-2000 mark. stroker kit without machining $1500 mark. to give you an example, i just finished doing a explorer express m90 supercharger kit (which is no longer in production, and lucked out finding one used) and the final tally on it with supporting mods was around the $2000 mark, and i know i am no where near 400hp.

oh no im very aware of the full cost ive been reading threads all night with ideas, im starting this with what i have on hand, this is going to be an all summer project, 2500 is what im starting with for a good block and internals, anything left over moves on to the next items budget but just saying 2500 is not my entire budget

for 400 hp allow about 10k, because this isn't a mustang and most parts will not fit. I doubt even the torquemonster headers will flow 400 hp without the help of a bottle or blower of some sort--

Good luck. If a rear main seal is your stumbling block you have a lot of work and frustration ahead of you.

i understand or at least i think i do and idk the rear main seal has just always hit a nerve with me , ive been dying to do something with this truck since i got it, is 400 hp even a realistic goal ?
ive seen 3 400+ hp 302s from friends cars , things were, they weren't in an explorer

more importantly, ive always though hp when cars, but once again its an explorer, should a goal be a torque number instead?

Back