cheap, easy supercharger?

unabonked

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98Sport, 94XLT, 96Sport
ok guys, i have been searching on this site a while for a good supercharger. unfortunatly the posts left me with more questions then answers. I'm looking at somthing 3500 or less, good for low and high RPM (i been told that should be a root system whatever that is... i'm still learning) and adds significantly to power. My local mechanic is the normal sunoco station guy, so fabricating parts is out of the question. I need an easy kit i can give him with my truck and get back on the road within a week.

If you guys know anyone around boston that does fab parts, knows what he is doing and is VERY cheap, i might consider it, but right now the sunoco guy is all i trust.

i'm not very experienced with mechanics, so i'm a bit lost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This really has nothing to do with a supercharger but how do you like your performance products airdam? I've heard good and bad about it. Thanks.

Hey there! If you're looking for a supercharger go to Summit's website (www.SummitRacing.com). They have a charger for 4.0 ohv Explorer/Rangers. Thay list for $2.699.95 with an installation kit for an extra $200-210.
Thay can be installed with simple hand tools.
Hope this helps.
Mike

Originally posted by Mascman
Hey there! If you're looking for a supercharger go to Summit's website (www.SummitRacing.com). They have a charger for 4.0 ohv Explorer/Rangers. Thay list for $2.699.95 with an installation kit for an extra $200-210.
Thay can be installed with simple hand tools.
Hope this helps.
Mike

yeah, that would be the bbk instacharger. if you want info on it, do a search for a member named "alec." hes got one and he installed himself (i think.) this will only work if your engine is an OHV. if its a SOHC, youre out of luck. to find out what it is, pop your hood, and look on the black plastic cover on the engine - itll say OHV or SOHC.

Along with BBK, Vortech offers a supercharger for explorers now. i am pisitive they have one for 91-94 so i am only assuming that they will have one for other years as well, however you can check for yourself at vortech's site. Also, you can check with explorer express.
The site i found offering the cheapest prices was truckperformance.com

hm... looks like i already did my homework. i was aware of the vortech supercharger, which steeda offers a retrofit upgrade for 95 plus. i think i want the bbk because i heard it has good low end response and is about a grand less. the problem i have is alec mentioned he needed parts machined for it to fit... that is way beyond my level. i need somthing i can order and hand to my mechanic. if anyone knows if i need to machine parts for the BBK, let me know.

This really has nothing to do with a supercharger but how do you like your performance products airdam? I've heard good and bad about it. Thanks.

i absolutly love it. it took a bit to adjust the lights to get them aimed about 20 feet infront of my truck. I painted it matching red, so it stands out from the bumper. it fits great, and was well worth the money. just a word of caution, don't get if if you have or are planning to purchase a bush gard, the lower horizontal bar will interfier with the the new hellas

actually, i thought if you bought that installation kit along with the bbk unit it came with everything you needed?...but dont quote me, you might wanna check it out though. i dont know if alec bought the install pack or maybe he just needed custom work because of other mods or what.

also, i think the vortech unit is a centrifugal unit (isnt it?) and the bbk is a roots style unit, which is why the bbk gives better low end results and the vortech youll feel more in the top end.

I don't think I said I needed parts machined to install the kit, just some misc parts, a lot of know-how, and some clever ideas. Nothing major had to be manufactured.

That being said, the install took about 3 days of work on my part and 3 days of my mechanic's time.

What kinda HP gains did you see Alec?

Well, stock is about 120 at the wheels. I dynoed 197 right after the S/C install. Now I have about 220-230 at the wheels w/o N2O.

That 197 also includes stuff like intake/exhaust, etc.

I don't think I said I needed parts machined to install the kit, just some misc parts, a lot of know-how, and some clever ideas. Nothing major had to be manufactured.

What kind of parts? I assume you got the rest of the power improvments from new intake and exhaus. sorry i'm so nosey, but i really need to do research before i throw away 3000 clams.

also, how do those helix power tower things stack up. i read that they give a big torque boost, but i have my suspicions. would theyb be compatable with a supercharger?

The Helix towers don't do much on EFI engines. Intake manifold volume doesn't make as much of a difference with EFI. Put that money into the s/c.

As for power gains, I estimate 80hp at the wheels, before I fine-tuned it. I haven't done any power mods since the s/c (and besides N2O) and now I have about 220-230 at the wheels. Fine tuning and break-in help a lot.

I went with the BBK kit for a few reasons: roots blowers put out more torque and low-end, reasonably complete kit, and low-maintenance design of the eaton unit. The Eaton unit has it's own oil reservoir that lasts 100k miles. Most centrifugal and some other roots blowers need to tap into the engine oil or be changed regularly.

The parts that were needed weren't a big deal: some pipe fittings, hose clamps, a few metal brackets that don't require machining, some hi-temp cushioning material (to nestle the new computer), and lots of zipties. Nothing that you can't get at your local speed shop or make in under an hour.

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Those are 2 threads that have some install info. Happy reading!

thanks alec, i just read about 5 months of posts :) my truck's engine/air is stock right now, so i'll look into getting catback first.

somthing that was repeated in the posts was that ALL 97+ automatics were SOHC. i'm pretty sure my 98 isn't. all the plastic plate on my engne says is 4.0, and the vin number says i have an OHV acording to haynes x manual.

another thing was you had a hypertech modual. i recently called them and they said they had no such devoce for a ford explorer. whats going on?

Not sure about this but I think in 98 hypertech went to a programer for explorers.

Hi Alex,
Just wondering hoe the little 4.0 is holding up?
Any major mechanical troubles since pre-SC?

Thanks,
Kurt

wpurple, just sent you an email, didn't know you'd posted.

If you want roots style and want to spend that kind of cash, keep an eye out fro a preowned Whipple. Cream of the crop roots style.

Originally posted by Tekeman
If you want roots style and want to spend that kind of cash, keep an eye out fro a preowned Whipple. Cream of the crop roots style.

woulden't i need to fab parts for that to fit a 4.0 ohv?

hey Alec-how much did the s/c and extra parts and guages and what not cost you? what about the install?

how much stress has it put on your tranny?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A bunch :(

About $4k for all things related to the blower install. Look at my s/c threads in the need for speed forum for lots of details.

My tranny's still alive and kickin!

Back