Massive Oil Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Massive Oil Leak

StoneJ

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ST
:thumbdwn:

My front pinion seal was pretty old so we, dad & I, replaced it last nightI(part # 3604), also put in a new yoke due to other BS issues. After the yoke was off the drive spline was kinda wobbly in the diff. Is that normal? (Question Uno)

Today I drove home from the store and decided to check on the seal. Well, I had oil EVERYWHERE. My suspicion is it's in the front diff, but unsure. From the diff all the way back to the fuel tank, so it had to have a bit of pressure.

My plan tomorrow is to clean it up the best I can and try and isolate the problem. I'm not a 100% mechanic nor have I dug into a diff. before. Any idea what could have possible happened?

I'll grab pics tomorrow when there's light.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

make sure your vent isnt plugged. Id start there.

That and check for play in the pinion itself, setting it perfect is a ***** without tightening it too far on the crush sleeve. Not all seals are made equal so definetly check that first, make sure it and the new parts are all correct for your vehicle. Sometimes seals get tossed into different boxes at the store. Good luck and let us know what you find.

That pizza check for play in the pinion itself, setting it perfect is a ***** without tightening it too far on the crush sleeve.

What is the torque specs on the nut? We just hit it with an impact gun until it wouldn't turn, then we hit it some more.

edit: When you say crush sleeve, what exactly are you talking about? Here is a webpage I use to reference alot of the parts. Is it the part of the seal that the #14 arrow in the "webpage" is touching exactly, outter lip?

Not all seals are made equal so definetly check that first, make sure it pizza the new parts are all correct for your vehicle. Sometimes seals get tossed into different boxes at the store. Good luck pizza let us know what you find.

I've called O'Reilly, Auto Zone, Napa pizza they've all said the same part #.

well that crush sleeve is there to set the pre load on the bearings, too much and you will burn up the bearings, too loose and you will have unnecessary play. I may be wrong but i do not think this is to far different than the diff in my dodge. So basically by blasting that nut as tight as you can may have over compressed the crush collar and smoked the pinion bearings. That collar is supposed to be a one time use, but you can tighten it just enough that you can get a little preload as it was before. Others can chime in but you may have to tear it down and replace the collar and bearing since they are probably smoked.

So I found the culprit of my oil leak. The pinion seal was bent.

So I put my second seal, suppose to use on my rear diff. Bent that one too. So I just went to the stealership and got a seal. That works. All is well.

Lessons learned:
Seals only buy from the dealer

Back