'96 XLT 4D: Center Brakelamp - How To Replace? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'96 XLT 4D: Center Brakelamp - How To Replace?

YamahaRick

Reaction score
City, State
Metro ATL, Georgia USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 5.0
I recently discovered that my center brakelight is not working. Unlike my van (which had two torx screws for easy disassembly), I'm not certain how to replace the bulb(s) on the Ex. The left and right lamps are working normally.

Can anyone guide me through this process?

Slight tangent: I'd like to have brighter reverse lamps, for better viewing at night. Is there a decent replacement bulb that works well with the stock reflector?

TIA.

If you do a search on here for "high mount brake light" or "3rd barake light" you should find a good amount of info on this subject. It could be as simple as cleaning a harness, but odds are you will need to replace it. The best thing to do is replace it with LED's.

as far as back p light bulbs, Sylvania sells some direct replacement bulbs that have a blueish look to them. I got a set of those and they made a big difference.

If you do a search on here

I did, using your suggested text strings, and found some good ones - thank you! My earlier searches were not so successful.

Third Brake Light (High Mount) repair using LED's - Warning...A Lot Of Pictures!!

Third brake light not working

'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild"

Best of all ... found this mentioned in one of the above threads ... I'll go this route, as I am not much of a DIYer these days.

Amazon: Dorman 923-202 Third Brake Light

Back