Play movies in front screen

wbach3

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2013
Hi all,
Long time rider first time buyer here. Just got a brand new ford explorer 2013 and I love it. I was wondering though how do i play dvds or even better movies off my ipod without getting an rca jack?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all,
Long time rider first time buyer here. Just got a brand new ford explorer 2013 and I love it. I was wondering though how do i play dvds or even better movies off my ipod without getting an rca jack?

Using the RCA's is the only way.

Hi all,

The cd drive is not a DVD drive, so you can not use it for movies. You can only use iDevice for movies using the 30pin -> Composite adapter cable. Unfortunately for newer devices there is no lightning -> composite adapter so this will only work with previous generation ipods, ipads, iphones.

And the RCA inputs only will play while the vehicle is stopped. They wil not play video while moving.

I always found that odd that they went with RCA imputs in such a high tech vehicle.

red/white audio and yellow RCA is the lowest res possible.

Even S-Video, Composite, HDMI would have been better

I always found that odd that they went with RCA imputs in such a high tech vehicle.

red/white audio and yellow RCA is the lowest res possible.

Even S-Video, Composite, HDMI would have been better

The screens are Low Res... If you search, almost all in-dash screens are still low res. It's unfortunate that in-car display technology hasn't advanced as much as the hardware pushing it.

That's funny because there is a tab on MfT for video when I have the iPod plugged in I don't have any video on my ipod so I don't know if this works. Has anyone else noticed this?

That's funny because there is a tab on MfT for video when I have the iPod plugged in I don't have any video on my ipod so I don't know if this works. Has anyone else noticed this?

Playing iPod videos hasn't worked for me... It only takes in the sound. It's very disappointing.

Playing iPod videos hasn't worked for me... It only takes in the sound. It's very disappointing.

I think its software blocked, they should work.

Using the RCA jacks is so old school

The iPod will play videos when you are parked. Videos won't play when you are driving. For videos to play while you are parked, you can't use the cable that came with the iPod. You need the Apple Composite AV Cable or an aftermarket brand. Without those cables, you won't be able to play videos.

I bought the cable to play videos, but the resolution is really poor.

If you aren't using the right cable for the iPod with RCA jacks, it's not going to play videos.

Does anyone know if videos can be played off a usb flash drive? If so any idea on acceptable codecs? Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I couldn't locate it via search.

no need to apologize....
it's a discussion forum - so there has to be discussions for it to be a forum :) :)

iphone 5 video play

Is there any way I can play videos from my iphone 5 to mytouch?

I cant seem to find an adapter that will allow me to connect to the a/v inputs so i can play videos from my iphone 5.

any fixes? or work arounds?

I cant seem to find an adapter that will allow me to connect to the a/v inputs so i can play videos from my iphone 5.

I don't think it is possible and I don't think it is legal over here, especially if driving. I'm moving your thread to the In Vehicle Technology forum and merging it with this thread. Perhaps it will help you.

Peter

You could do a lightning -> HDMI connector, and then get an HDMI to composite down converter. Video would still only play while parked unless you also got something like coastaletech's lock pick.

A cheaper and higher quality solution would be to mount an iPad on the dash lol, the cost would be about the same and you would get a high definition screen.

You could do a lightning -> HDMI connector, and then get an HDMI to composite down converter. Video would still only play while parked unless you also got something like coastaletech's lock pick.

A cheaper and higher quality solution would be to mount an iPad on the dash lol, the cost would be about the same and you would get a high definition screen.

I got it all sorted out!!!

My dealer (bought my car in korea) installed free navigation software, which also has a media player in it that plays tons of different codecs like mkv and mp4 which i wanted to use. The navigation gps unit is housed in the glove box and they somehow rigged it to work with myford touch.. yes cool eh.. so that unit in the glove box has a usb and sd card slot that i can use for updating new maps and also to play video. Quality is great !!

You should post pictures and info for that aftermarket navigation configuration you have because there are many members here on this forum looking for an aftermarket nav solution.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should post pictures and info for that aftermarket navigation configuration you have because there are many members here on this forum looking for an aftermarket nav solution.

It was installed by ford for Korea. So I have no idea. The nav is connected to myford touch unit from behind. So no idea what navi aftermarket brand it is. In Korea I guess it would be considered OEM

Back