Modifications to a Lease

White Fang

Reaction score
City, State
East Coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Good Morning All,

I am new to the forum and have already learned a ton. Can anyone tell me what can and cannot be done as far as modifications go for a leased vehicle?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tricky, Read your lease and see what is required when you decide to return it.

I have had 2 lease vehicles. The Jeep was heavly modded. It had to be, every time I took it off the pavement I broke something and replaced it with better. It was also lifted and other stuff done, that could not easily be undone if I returned it to the dealer. I opted to sell it at the end of my lease. I was hopelessly over the miles allowed. However with my mods, I was able to sell it for more than the baloon payoff. So I made a few bucks.

Short answer, you can do what you want. However, you may end up paying the dealer at the end of the lease if you have to many miles, to many scratches etc. All leases are written different. So read the fine print. Knowledge is power.

BTW, I bought the second lease vehicle out right. Did not want to mess with mileage restrictions and vehicle inspection and end of lease.

Good luck

Rob

Thanks Rob, definitely helps! :chug:

I've leased twice, and modded both with no issues. Simply take the mods off and return to stock upon inspection. Be careful is they see any engine modifications during oil changes or whatever. But for the most part you should be fine.

I know alot of other modders and the funny thing is they are all leased.... go figure.

Thank you for the reply..I am basically looking to put on a bumper guard to minmize scratches when loading and unloading the trunk.

Back