Explorer Sport 2013 or the Durango 2014? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport 2013 or the Durango 2014?

youngkingkrue

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015, Explorer Sport
I currently have a White Titanium Explorer Sport (Fully Loaded) being built ETA is May 6th. After seeing the 2014 Durango, I might have to lose out on the 500 dollars I spent on the Sport down payment to just wait for the new Durangos. Its just driving me insane because if I'm going to shell 50,000 dollars on something again I really want the best bang for your buck (what is all the options you get in the 50,000 range and compare the 2) and at the end of the day I want to have the right vehicle of the 2 that will still hold it's appreciation value after 2+ years etc. Any suggestions?

Garcia

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only you can decide.. go online and look at the options. I will say I think Dodge did a really nice job with the front end with the 14 model. It looms mean looking.

However I have never enjoyed driving a dodge. I've driven jeeps, the 300, the GC, journey and a couple others.. just never enjoyed the experience. Obviously others like them as they buy them.

As far as resale value, I don't think one is really worse over the other.

me and my wife test drive a '13 Durango r/t loaded before we bought our sport. The interior was absolutely terrible and far as looks and feels go. I really wanted to like the vehicle seeing as it was a lot cheaper than the sport. Even the sound of the v8 at the upper rpm range sounded terrible. The '14 Durango's interior looks better but still looks dull IMO.

I'm so glad we bought the explorer Sport.

My $0.02 - Going back to its first generation, I've never liked the Durango's design. I think Dodge has always tried to derive the Durango's front from its Ram line of pickup trucks and that transformation just doesn't work, at least not from my perspective.

One is just a Fiat in sheeps clothing..........

I currently have a White Titanium Explorer Sport (Fully Loaded) being built ETA is May 6th. After seeing the 2014 Durango, I might have to lose out on the 500 dollars I spent on the Sport down payment to just wait for the new Durangos. Its just driving me insane because if I'm going to shell 50,000 dollars on something again I really want the best bang for your buck (what is all the options you get in the 50,000 range and compare the 2) and at the end of the day I want to have the right vehicle of the 2 that will still hold it's appreciation value after 2+ years etc. Any suggestions?

Garcia

After 2+ years, neither car will hold enough of its value to the point you aren't underwater on your loan, so I wouldn't buy either one thinking you aren't going to take a bath if you sell it in 2 years.

As far as looks, I have a 2011 Explorer Limited and I like the looks of the Explorer better even three model years later. The Durango looks similar to the Explorer but puffier - like a giant marshmallow overexpanded in an Explorer and puffed everything out.

I'm also not a fan of the new front end - it looks like the thing has a massive underbite.

Durango has a better ride, less sway at highway speeds, but i have a feeling its due to the michelin's on all 4 corners....the Ford Sport Hancooks or whatever they are called just blow. I would stay w/ the Sport my sister in law has the Durango and like i said it has an awesome ride but it just seems plain compared to the sport.

A hard choice but depends on your needs and wants. The Ex Sport rides nicely, has plenty of power, some compromises with the driver's footwell, visibility, MFT/GPS. Seems like most reviewers give the nod to the Durango, but you should drive both before you buy - something that's hard to do given the Durango hasn't come out yet, I think. The Durango's IP looks nicer, but don't know how well the interface is with the MFT equivalent. Personally, I had a Dodge Stratus before and would not buy another Chrysler because of it - lousy POS that left me high and dry on longer road trips a few times. The one thing the Durango does have is a better towing capacity - if you're intending on towing - the Durango V8 might be better in that case if you're approaching limits. Might also want to look at Nissan/Infiniti if you've got kids in seats and need the 3rd row...

When I bought my 2011 ex I was comparing it to the 2011 durango. Back then there were rumors that they were going to discontinue the durango and make it a throwback to the jeep wagoneer [this might have been a false rumor... I forget where I saw it]. Also back then the durango had a antiquated 5 speed transmission that everyone complained about. Also the old navigation unit looked pretty crappy. Now that the 2014 durango has a 8 speed transmission, the new dodge entertainment stuff and a slightly redesigned rear I am not really sure what I would pick again. I personally think the ex is better looking then the durango though.

If you think you will ever be looking for more power than each one comes with, then the Explorer is a no brainer. Being factory turbo charged allows the boost and power to increase by quite a bit with just a tune.

If you think you will ever be looking for more power than each one comes with, then the Explorer is a no brainer. Being factory turbo charged allows the boost and power to increase by quite a bit with just a tune.

The durango does have the v8 option. I would rather have the eco boost over the hemi. You get the power of a v8 with the fuel economy of a v6 [or at least that's what I've heard].

Thanks everyone for your input on the matter.

Garcia

if it was me, i would go with the explorer. the durango has a nice front end and rear end but the side profile is ugly/plain imo. the interior is much upgraded compared to previous durangos but it still has a cheap look to it, although i love the rotary gear selector and new infotaiment center in the new dodges/chryslers/jeeps. youre going to get biased answers on here, the same way you would on a durango forum. most on here invested in the explorer, so obviously we will be biased to the explorer.

I'm debating the same thing after the fiasco I'm going through with my 13 Sport. What I plan on doing is test driving the 13 Durango and seeing how the road noise compares to the Sport. I'm sure they aren't changing anything drastically sound deadening wise that will make that much of a difference in the 14 Durango. This will tell you alot about the build quality. I am anxisously waiting to see the MPG numbers with the 8 speed tranny they're putting in the Durango. If it doesn't compare with the Sport I probably won't bother, the Hemis are known for not getting the advertised MPG on the sticker.

I'm debating the same thing after the fiasco I'm going through with my 13 Sport. What I plan on doing is test driving the 13 Durango and seeing how the road noise compares to the Sport. I'm sure they aren't changing anything drastically sound deadening wise that will make that much of a difference in the 14 Durango. This will tell you alot about the build quality. I am anxisously waiting to see the MPG numbers with the 8 speed tranny they're putting in the Durango. If it doesn't compare with the Sport I probably won't bother, the Hemis are known for not getting the advertised MPG on the sticker.

I had a 2011 grand cherokee with the hemi and got 11.5 mpg in the city. The Explorer sport is faster than the Hemi and gets the gas mileage of the v6 jeep. I hated the Jeep/Dodge/Fiat, will never buy one again. Dealers are horrible, build quality is even worse.

I had a 2011 grand cherokee with the hemi and got 11.5 mpg in the city. The Explorer sport is faster than the Hemi and gets the gas mileage of the v6 jeep. I hated the Jeep/Dodge/Fiat, will never buy one again. Dealers are horrible, build quality is even worse.

Yep, you're echoing the same thing my buddy that had a Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. Said they never got over 18 on the highway. Forget that!

My wife had a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland that Chrysler bought back from us due to the pano roof not being cut to spec. My wife still loves that car and misses it but we need the third row and that's why we chose the explorer. I wouldn't consider a Durango unless it had the 8speed. That tranny in the 13 really just wastes all of the power in the Hemi. I couldn't complain about our mpg really, it's probably about similar to our Sport so far and the Hemi doesn't recommend premium.

Yesterday afternoon was the first time to see a 2013 Sport (Fairbanks, Alaska) in the same white titanium I had preordered, while driving my 2010 ex. I just loved the way it looked in person! The funny thing, later on that day I finally received the window sticker over the net. I think someone is telling me to stick with the Explorer Sport! Thanks again for all of your input.

Garcia

We looked at the Durango's too. I have a Hemi Ram and a new SRT-8 Challenger, plus about 10 other mopars / hemi's in the last 10 years including 2 Durangos.. So I am not some brand loyalest, it came down to looks and the engine.. I wanted to try the TT Ecoboost.. I already know how the hemi's run, pull, etc..

I think the sport is the best looking SUV < 50K.. If I was going to pay more than that, we would just get another Denali, which is what we have now or step up to the Escalade.. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yesterday afternoon was the first time to see a 2013 Sport (Fairbanks, Alaska) in the same white titanium I had preordered, while driving my 2010 ex. I just loved the way it looked in person! The funny thing, later on that day I finally received the window sticker over the net. I think someone is telling me to stick with the Explorer Sport! Thanks again for all of your input.

Garcia
Welcome to the Forum youngkingkrue.:wavey:
Are you sure it is Titanium White? I think you meant White Platinum Tri-Coat. I don't believe Titanium White is available for any of the models. The Tri-Coat is a little more 'cream' coloured that the Oxford White offered in the Base and XLT models.
I hope you will enjoy your Ex as much as I have mine.

Peter

Back