Why does it sound like I'm turbocharged? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why does it sound like I'm turbocharged?

Edward K

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Recently my Explorer has started sounding like it's got a turbo on it when it's under load. She usually only does it under heavy acceleration or going up hills. The driving characteristics haven't changed, but I just wanna know what could be causing that spooling sound? Could it be related to my broken EGR system?

Thanks guys!
-Edwardk

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah egr or cracked exhaust manifold... solve it the way im doing... torque monster headers baby!!! mine sounds like a got a nice cam in it! :p

Is the clutch on the cooling fan frozen\seized up?

yeah egr or cracked exhaust manifold... solve it the way im doing... torque monster headers baby!!! mine sounds like a got a nice cam in it! :p

XD I can't afford something like that at the moment. Maybe sometime in the future.

I know for a fact something is screwy with the EGR though. Been having problems with it since we bought the thing. Even with help off here we couldn't figure it out. XD

whats your build date? sometime in 97 they switched the egr up a bit..

whats your build date? sometime in 97 they switched the egr up a bit..

It's a '95.

The EGR doesn't operate correctly and is thus disconnected from the vacuum system at the moment. (Drives like #$%^ with it connected.)

Anyway I plugged it back in for a little bit today to see if the sound would go away, and it didn't.

I'm thinkin' maybe a ruptured vacuum line somewhere? What do you think?

Had the same issue with my '95 and it was simply caused by a loose gas cap! Try tightening that first.

Jim

Back